Team-BHP - Cranking the car when the engine IS currently running - What happens?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Cranking the car when the engine IS currently running - What happens? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/18659-cranking-car-when-engine-currently-running-what-happens.html)

Team

Wanted to to know "What happens" when I turn the ignition on when the engine is runnning. It happened to me twice, when I thought the engine is off and turned on the ignition when in neutral. The engine gave a cranky sound... telling me that "You dumb, I am still ON".

Unknowingly, it happened to me 2 or 3 times, when music is on and when the ride is in neutral, It happened!

Any side effects?
Feel so miserable when that happens! :mad:

I don't think you could damage your engine but, your starter motor could face prob if it's done regularly.

Shan2nu

Well the only thing that will happen is that you will eventually blow up your starter motor. Dont know what car you drive but if it has a tachometer (aka RPM meter), please look at it before cranking your engine.

Have an Alto and it doesn't have the RPM meter :(

Hmmm...Then go in for a Freeflow exhaust. At least the sound will let you know when the engine is running...:-)

I made the same mistake with my Xing.. :Frustrati

Go in for a Tacho Meter will merely cost Rs. 800 for 3 cylinder alto. Plus it will come handy in other ways tooo.

P.S. I made the same while test driving friends fiesta 1.6 lol.

your starter motor will get damaged and would need replacement for sure.

please ensure you dont crank the engine when it is already running...

When u crank the starter motor when the engine is on.The pinion of the starter motor engages with the flywheel.As the flywheel is already running it clashes against the flywheel ring which causes the flywheel ring as wheel as the starter motor pinion gears to wear.
If this happens at lot of instances where the pinion meshes with the flywheel ring at the same spot there are chances in the later stages of the life of the car that the starter will simply rotate and not cause the flywheel to rotate as the particular spot on the flywheel ring is worn out.
Invest in a tachometer or simply take some time to notice that the engine is running.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh
Go in for a Tacho Meter will merely cost Rs. 800 for 3 cylinder alto. Plus it will come handy in other ways tooo.

P.S. I made the same while test driving friends fiesta 1.6 lol.

:Shockked: Rs. 800/- only ? I checked in few places and they said 2500 +.

Where can i get one for 800 :)

in some cars like in my palio,once u turn on the ignition and start the car and if u try to start it again the key does not turn, it has some kind of a lock i guess, coz even i tried to start the car accidently a couple of times even though the engine was running,but i could not do so as the key would not turn then i realised that the engine was running, thats a nice feature,altough if u are in traffic and if u accidently stop the car ..its gets very irritating as u have to switch off the ignition and then start it all over again!!!

If u have a very silent engine/cabin and u dont know if the engine is running or not.....just dab the throttle pedal...it'll give u the answer. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tif0si
in some cars like in my palio,once u turn on the ignition and start the car and if u try to start it again the key does not turn, it has some kind of a lock i guess,

Yes, I too have experienced the same in Fiat Punto also. It is a good thing in one way, and too annoying when the engine is off accidentally in the middle of the road.

when the engine goes off on the middle of the road or stalls, it is a good practice to turn off the ignition and turn it on again. in fiats i believe there is an mpfi light that has to go off for you to crank the engine.

Since we are on this topic..... What happens if the engine is killed while the car is moving? Should you come to a standstill and then crank the engine, or simply crank while the car is rolling?

I have faced this situation in my car, and I used to crank it while rolling and move on. I would turn off the AC before I cranked. Do you think, it would cause any problems?