Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2017, 20:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

highly unprofessional of the maruti technician to call the problem as 'fuel adultration'.

Not only was it a white lie, but it was also a lie that the technician knew that his customer knows that he was lying and the customer also knows that the technician knows that the customer is aware of his attempt to palm off the blame on the customer.

My opinion is that during service these jokers forgot to remove the old engine oil. And added new oil on top of that old oil.
lurker is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 21:16   #17
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd May 2017 at 11:06.
MercFan is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2017, 22:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Adulterated fuel leading to this much damage is a foolish explanation for oil spill.
Next, such a huge loss of oil plus CEL light ON on the dash means error code must have been there. If there was no error code, the ECU or the CEL is faulty. Not your fault. If you have it in writing that there was no error code, MSIL will have a tough time in court.

The oil spill spread and quantity shows that oil came out under pressure as it did so against gravity too. Stay calm, ask them to get everything in writing. They are clearly avoiding answering the questions. Point out that the car is kept in poor condition which can damage the car and they will be liable for all damage arising from poor condition in which the car is kept. Its apparently quite dusty and they have kept components exposed to all the dust.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 20th May 2017 at 22:31.
aaggoswami is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 23:15   #19
BHPian

This makes me wonder about two things:

1. In India, it is a matter of luck when it comes to customer care. The true quality of the company's care will come out only during difficult situations. And in this particular case, Maruti appears to be unable to cope with the situation.

2. Who bears the cost if not the customer? Is it the dealer or the Manufacturer? Just imagine, how much is 4L for a company that makes so much money and drives on its reputation for having the best after sales support? Why don't they resolve it in the quietest possible way?

100BHP, sorry about your difficulty, but I am sure things will soon be resolved to your satisfaction.
prakash_ajp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 23:42   #20
Team-BHP Support

Won't comment on the case itself while it's still being evaluated, but the way it's been handled with the customer is going to cost a lot more than whatever they're trying to push to the customer's wallet.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 00:20   #21
BHPian

Unacceptable behaviour from Maruti. Nexa is a premium service provider and seeing the way this case is being handled just shows how helpless we consumers are in front of mighty business houses.
Old 21st May 2017, 02:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Get the diesel in a bottle from your fuel tank, seal it in front of them and get it labeled /signed. Send it off to the department which can check for any adultration and provide you with the results in writing. From there you can proceed further against their claim. Check you r fuel filter and better if you can remove it and seal it in a packet for further testing to find any proof of water or anything else.
Randhawa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 02:55   #23

Sir , the vehicle was serviced a month before the incident right?

1.There are always safeties to some extent against adulterated fuel like filter, timing of injection of fuel etc. Everywhere we see so many vehicles using adulterated fuels with no damages to engine in short run.

2.Did you check the piston rings, as their breakage might lead to mixing of fuel and oil leading to increased level of fluid in crankcase that can cause above repercussions.

3. The colour and viscosity of oil checks could have given MASS, right cause along with piston rings clearance checks.

4. I believe vehicles are built with piston rings, piston and cylinder for a minimum of 15 to 20 years.
So again it's manufacturing defect and MU should bear the brunt of it.

From your write up it clearly proves the callousness of MASS.

Sir make a hue and cry on social media , try to make noise in media and newspapers.Twitter is an effective medium ,tweet about the same with tweets to industrial ministry , etc.

Make a hashtag on Twitter and share we will retweet this injustice.

You can approach consumer court , they are sure to help wronged customers.

Further to my earlier post on the same subject it can also be caused due to leaky fuel injector​ or fuel injection timing controller.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd May 2017 at 11:11. Reason: Spacing :)
kitsass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 06:14   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Hypothesis

1. December 2015 to April 2017 is one and half years of driving pleasure.
2. Last service a month back
3. Error light, car stalled, restarted and driven with check light.
4. Oil leakage including inside air filter
5. Abrasion and low pressure in one cylinder
6. No error code
7. Loss of power

This is summary of facts. Rest is volume and verbosity.

Oil in filter points to over fill of oil? Or oil return in valve head getting choked and overflow goes to air filter.
If we accept this then it means emission circulation was intact to carry oil to filter. Then oil cannot be spilled outside against gravity (bonnet).

Were there more than one fault at play?

Overload of EGR circuit? No oil there.

Turbo seal leak? Loss of power makes it likely. Was bonnet oil spill / splash in line with turbo location? He did battery box get oil?

Both put together result in loss of lubrication resulting in excessive abrasion?

But both do not point to fuel adulteration.

No conclusion but just trying to do step by step analysis.
sudev is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 09:31   #25
BHPian

Thanks Sudev, I also feel that there is more to the issue than it meets the eyes. Moreover Maruti could have been transparent in all communications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsass View Post
Sir , the vehicle was serviced a month before the incident right?
1.There are always safeties to some extent against adulterated fuel like filter ,timing of injection of fuel etc.Everywhere we see so many vehicles using adulterated fuels with no damages to engine in short run .
2.Did you check the piston rings , as there breakage might lead to mixing of fuel and oil leading to increased level of fluid in crankcase that can cause above repercussions.
3. The colour and viscosity of oil checks could have given MASS , right cause along with piston rings clearance checks.
4. I believe vehicles are built with piston rings, piston and cylinder for a minimum of 15 to 20 years.
So again it's manufacturing defect and MU should bear the brunt of it.
From your write up it clearly proves the callousness of MASS.
Sir make a hue and cry on social media , try to make noise in media and newspapers.Twitter is an effective medium ,tweet about the same with tweets to industrial ministry , etc.
Make a hashtag on Twitter and share we will retweet this injustice.
You can approach consumer court , they are sure to help wronged customers.

Further to my earlier post on the same subject it can also be caused due to leaky fuel injector​ or fuel injection timing controller.
Thanks, the condition of piston and rings can be seen in one of the pics. Facebook and Twitter, I will start soon.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st May 2017 at 10:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit the previous post within the 30 minute window to add more contents to it. Thanks!
Old 21st May 2017, 10:02   #26
Team-BHP Support

Have they actually doen a fuel analysis to prove adulteration?

My guess is that it was either overfilling or some crankcase pipe was blocked
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 10:12   #27
BHPian

I have seen my fair share of engine damage cases and in most cases workshops point it to fuel quality issue. This is actually the easiest way to shift blame and make consumer pay. As has been pointed out by you and others if fuel quality is an issue then there should be lines of such vehicles at service station. Plus it has to be some diabolical fuel to make the engine spew out all the engine oil and not the poor quality fuel. I can only say my heart goes out for you because our vehicles are an extension of ourselves. Please do not lose heart and take this matter to logical conclusion legally or otherwise.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 10:28   #28
BHPian

I'm just repeating what others have said in bits and pieces - tear them apart on social media! That's the only thing that works these days.

Facebook, twitter are your weapons of choice. Post on both and hashtag/target appropriate groups.

If that doesn't work as well, you need to take this to local newspapers. Maruti should not get away with this attitude.
quadmaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 10:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Have they actually doen a fuel analysis to prove adulteration?

My guess is that it was either overfilling or some crankcase pipe was blocked
If they are doing it, they are not sharing it... But their first test was quite definitive... PK just smelled it and gave the judgement.. Ha ha
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 11:02   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
If they are doing it, they are not sharing it... But their first test was quite definitive... PK just smelled it and gave the judgement.. Ha ha
Smelled it??

If possible get that in writing.. Maruti technical team concluded that the fuel is adulterated by the smell and refused warranty.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks