Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2017, 11:11   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
I'm just repeating what others have said in bits and pieces - tear them apart on social media! That's the only thing that works these days.

Facebook, twitter are your weapons of choice. Post on both and hashtag/target appropriate groups.

If that doesn't work as well, you need to take this to local newspapers. Maruti should not get away with this attitude.
Sure, if anyone knows how to contact the local papers or have some contacts, pls pm me separately.. Thanks in advance
Old 21st May 2017, 11:26   #32
BHPian

re: Maruti S-Cross 1.6L – Sudden death of the 320 DDiS engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post

Thanks, the condition of piston and rings can be seen in one of the pics. Facebook and Twitter, I will start soon.
Was the PCV checked? It might have been clogged and resulted in pressure build up. This is the only thing that I can think of now which can get oil splashed all over your engine bay. And as a consequence the engine might have faced lack of lubrication and hence the abrasions. Also your engine might have been burning oil due to clogged PCV earlier. The PCV can also trigger CEL in some cars though I'm not sure about the SCross.

I'm not generalizing, but what I've seen over the years is that many of the ASS technicians while working on imported engines like this 1.6 JTD, very often overlook these vital components and would fail to find the root cause of the event. And adulterated fuel please ask them to explain how that would result in this?

Another thing I'd like to say here is whenever your car stalls and CEL light comes on, no matter how new your car is, Please spare a few minutes to check under the hood before attempting to start and drive off( if it does afterall). After all that is why the Check Engine Light is provided and it can save you a lot of time and effort; And most importantly hefty bills and heart attacks.

--gk--
--gKrish-- is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 11:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry for the owner who is looking at his car in this condition, I can see from the photos that there is oil like from every possible place, a clear case of oil leak due to poor sealing. Is there a built in auto oil flush system to throw out oil like this, take them to the court.
Old 21st May 2017, 11:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Was the PCV checked? It might have been clogged and resulted in pressure build up. This is the only thing that I can think of now which can get oil splashed all over your engine bay. And as a consequence the engine might have faced lack of lubrication and hence the abrasions. Also your engine might have been burning oil due to clogged PCV earlier. The PCV can also trigger CEL in some cars though I'm not sure about the SCross.

I'm not generalizing, but what I've seen over the years is that many of the ASS technicians while working on imported engines like this 1.6 JTD, very often overlook these vital components and would fail to find the root cause of the event. And adulterated fuel please ask them to explain how that would result in this?

Another thing I'd like to say here is whenever your car stalls and CEL light comes on, no matter how new your car is, Please spare a few minutes to check under the hood before attempting to start and drive off( if it does afterall). After all that is why the Check Engine Light is provided and it can save you a lot of time and effort; And most importantly hefty bills and heart attacks.

--gk--
The ecl or emission warning as mentioned in owner manual does not state anything about stop and wait, it says take the car to the mass asap.... Emission warning came up.. 1 reason could be that there was oil in the exhaust pipe too... It had gone that far... 2 reason there was oil on dipstick end to indicate there was sufficient oil still available... This is the observation on the first day of inspection by maruti Van and its technician
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 12:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
The ecl or emission warning as mentioned in owner manual does not state anything about stop and wait, it says take the car to the mass asap.... Emission warning came up.. 1 reason could be that there was oil in the exhaust pipe too... It had gone that far... 2 reason there was oil on dipstick end to indicate there was sufficient oil still available... This is the observation on the first day of inspection by maruti Van and its technician
What I was trying to say was that, even if they do not insist stopping and waiting in the event of a CEL on, it is always better to inspect and being on the safe side. What if engine seizes? That did not happen anyway so forget it.

Oil in exhaust pipe means your oil seals were bust. Again that is very likely to happen under excess pressure in crankcase(due to failed PCV)
or due to overfilled oil. This is just my hypothesis.

Please ask Maruti to give a satisfactory explanation. If it is this device defect, there is absolutely no reason for the owner to the bear the cost.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 13:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:

MU called me after sometime & on day 9th I was told very politely that “ This failure is due to fuel adulteration & the engine need to be completely replaced – All expenses will be borne by customer (approx. 4 lacs) as this is not covered under warranty & insurance (including engine cover)” - CHECK MATE – now your move, Fool !

Lastly, I hope someone at Maruti with experience and passion takes on the responsibility and brings in sanity in resolving the issue.
I'm really feel bad for the ordeal and hardship that you're facing, it truly saddens me to think that a 1.6DDIS failed and the SA is blaming it on "adulterer Fuel"! i don't know if this angers me or that i find it funny!? how incompetent must one think the customer is to say "adultered fuel" caused oil to spew all over the engine bay? not to mention the fact that "there were no Error codes". The way the car is being stored in their workshop is unacceptable, and lets not forget the spare parts lying in the back seat. how careless/ reckless/ unprofessional must one be to store half the engine bay, spewed with oil on the back seat. i know storing parts inside the same car is standard procedure in most service centres, but come on people, you a little something called common sense.

you have strong facts and hard evidence 100BHP. keep collecting information/ data and photos for future reference and preferably try to get their claims in writing or maybe atleast try to record all conversation on the phone and in person and use those audio clips(it's legal in india?) to support your claims.

this is totally unprofessional behaviour from the concerned SA's for performing tasks/ diagnostics on the car without the owners approval.

You have a strong stand here 100BHP, keep your foot down and don't compromise no matter what. From all that you say, the facts clearly point in the direction of failure of machinery, possibly due to a defect in manufacturing. I hope this gets resolved quickly and to your complete satisfaction. Best Wishes.
Old 21st May 2017, 14:42   #37
BANNED

The person who said Adulterated Fuel had caused this damage clearly needs to stop coming to the service centre, take a break from his job and go to an engineering college (specifically teaching automobile engineering basics) and brush up his knowledge that he may have forgotten.

@100BHP, can you please ask him what he was smoking when he concluded that reason?!

Error codes be it related to engine or emissions will be stored in the ECU, no denial in that! They would have deleted it silently before 100BHP a.k.a Mohit could get a glance of it. May that's where the catch lies.

Ask them to give a few things in writing:

1. What has made them conclude it is the Fuel that has caused this?!

2. When you reported malfunction indicator had lit up, they would have definitely checked the ECU to say it is emissions related and NOT engine related. This can be ONLY confirmed by reading the code, so they are lying.

3. With whose consent was the engine dismantled?!

4. Who guarantees proper fitment so not other issue arises once the engine is refit?!

5. The Car, I presume is under warranty so how can they deny engine warranty and on what basis?! Any where is it written in the warranty document? Can they show it you and do get a copy of it.

Here I'm pestering and convincing my dad harder to get me the S-Cross 1.6L Alpha and guys @ Maruti are least interested in customers who own the 1.6 currently. What would they do when numbers increase post facelift?! Is it at that time they'll train the mechanics for this engine specifically? Total step motherly treatment IMHO.

The way MASS is handling cases related to DDiS 320 is sad and pathetic. It is not far when the mechanics will raise their hands to wash​ off issues which will eventually spread a bad word in the minds of the masses to not get the DDiS 320 and choose DDiS 200 instead. This will further make it look that the countries' people don't like the 1.6L engine and it can be discontinued due to "low demand".

The most premium product in their complete portfolio is now hanging in mid-air not knowing it's own fate. Neither have it's parents (read manufacturer) given it the required encouragement nor have it's takers (read customers) bought it home in good numbers.

Maruti's costliest car with the costliest engine is being neglected. What an Irony!

Last edited by a4anurag : 21st May 2017 at 14:43.
a4anurag is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 15:11   #38
BHPian

Holy Mother of God!

Ask Maruti if they wanted you to use ATF quality fuel? Why is things like fuel filters or sedimentors etc given for diesel cars? Its a case of some inherent manufacturing defect / over filling of oil or some catastrophic failure. It is not the owner/drivers fault at all and you should start legal proceedings against MSIL with the Consumer Court of India

That's the reason fantastic Suzuki cars like Vitara, Kizashi and their likes can never be sold or purchased in India. Their better technicians from good colleges work for few years and start on their own. Existing/new recruits lack knowledge or still better common sense.

Thats why sometimes its better to stick with economies of scale models of Maruti IMHO.
SafariMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 15:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

This is most probably due to the service. The service guys, in all probability had no experience with a 1.6 and overfilled the engine oil, which finally blew up like this.

Could you check the engine oil grade and quantity in your service bill and post it here for view?

There is no scientific reasoning between fuel adulteration and this catastrophic failure ever.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 17:51   #40
BHPian

Felt very sad reading this!
Maruti must've thought "we're building a car, for the first time, a car that's as reliable as a German car. So why not provide service like a German (read Skoda, Audi).

I really hope that they pull themselves up and provide a service befitting the ads they put up for NEXA.
rav11stars is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 18:32   #41
BHPian

I am appalled to read this. Sadly, I am not surprised. From my understanding Nexa has strict penalties for its dealers if and when they screw up. Have you considered writing to the concerned ministry - when I have a problem, I send it to the company and cc every official whose e-mail address I can get my hands on. Someone invariably follows up.

I have been speaking of a "lemon law" for cars in other threads, but considering this car is 18 months old, it doesn't fit the bill. Surely, with our propensity for such a lengthy Constitution and laws which fill realms, there must be some provision for this.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 18:34   #42
BHPian

It was really depressing reading about this thread.
Is it possible that a very simple error of not tightening the oil filler cap properly after replacing the engine oil lead to a gradual leakage over the month the car was used and thus destroyed the engine?
I always check the fuel filler cap is closed properly by the petrol pump attendent each time I refuel.
Maybe we should now start to check that oil filler caps are tightly closed after each service?
Old 21st May 2017, 19:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. This is sad to see, especially the 1.6 engine of the S Cross from the market leader.
One thing which struck me is one of the posts where a Bhpian mentions "Pulling a Skoda" when it came to describing the service center's response to this issue by the OP.

On another Vento thread, a BHPian's Vento was diagnosed with faulty fuel injectors and he has been asked to cough up a bill of 2.5 Lakhs to get his car running. The reason for this failure given by VW? Adulterated fuel. (which I think is bull anyway)

Since I own a Skoda, I had always thought Maruti's service is a class apart, and in the future if I decide to change cars, it wil be from the Maruti stable. Now, it looks like there is not much choice left with a potential buyer. All car companies including Maruti Suzuki have their bad eggs. It is just your luck on which bad egg you receive.

A word of advice to the OP, please do not post more than required details on this forum or elsewhere. Preserve all the evidence for your court case. If in any way MS is able to pinpoint the blame on you from these posts, you will unnecessarily be at the receiving end and it will make your battle tougher. All the best!

Last edited by hrman : 21st May 2017 at 19:17.
hrman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 19:13   #44
Team-BHP Support

To add to my previous comment about dodgy customer service, Maruti need to be careful this doesn't spiral into a 'Maruti can't handle premium' situation.

That's a perception they've tried hard to get rid of, and ostensibly why they started NEXA in the first place.

For all their market share and goodwill with the masses, they're unproven in the premium segments and perceptions are hard to dislodge in India, even for the market leader.

I hope someone of consequence from HQ wakes up before this goes viral.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 19:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

I can understand what you are going through. I had a very similar experience with Maruti for my wife's Alto. Even the area service manager didn't know what he was talking. Unfortunately Maruti does not care. People still trust them blindly and cases like this don't get sufficient publicity.
Ask them for a split up of the 3-4 lakhs that they have quoted. They will have to put parts that are not related to this problem to reach that figure. That's where you can catch them and threaten legal action.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks