Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2017, 14:47   #31
BHPian

Re: Shell V-Power Diesel launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer911 View Post
@ Waspune really looking forward to your observations because you've got the European engine.
I can confirm that the V power diesel does feel something different. I have driven around 40-50 kms after filling it and I can already feel that the revvs have become smoother and the engine has become more free revving. Also it feels quicker as well

But yes as people have mentioned that manufacturers dont approve of additives I am not sure till what time I will stick to it. Right now I am enjoying
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 20:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
I can confirm that the V power diesel does feel something different. I have driven around 40-50 kms after filling it and I can already feel that the revvs have become smoother and the engine has become more free revving. Also it feels quicker as well
I did feel the revs getting a little smoother after about 20 kms of driving but didn't give any judgements because I can't conclusively say that the revs will be smoother everytime on the V Power fuel only or because as the manufacturer claims of the cleansing properties, maybe a one time needed cleaning of the fuel injectors is done and consequently the smoothness may even be felt with the regular Diesels. I am waiting to give a more conclusively decision by filling regular Diesel in the Honda next time and observe if the slightly improved free ness is still existent or not. If it is, then my above assumption stands true. But if not, then there's something the additives are doing to give a slightly smoother engine.

But even then, the difference atleast in the Honda is not good enough for me to spend the extra money everytime.

PS: At this time of writing, I've completed almost 140000 kms in my Honda. Till date no additives were used, oil change has been regular though.
I doubt people with very new cars will feel anything at all.

Moreover, I've yet to try out on my Ciaz aka Fiat engine because the European engines are a little more fussy with fuels and react a little differently and more noticeably. Hence my earlier eagerness for a feedback from people having a Fiat, VW or Skoda etc.
Racer911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 20:34   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hence my earlier eagerness for a feedback from people having a Fiat, VW or Skoda etc.
My S-Cross 1.6 is very sensitive to fuel quality. Fully imported Fiat engine from Italy . I will post my feedback soon after trying V Power diesel. Do expect in gear acceleration / 0-100 timing. I want to see if there would be real gains in performance. Also, I would not use V Power regularly. May be one tankful every 5000 KM.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 12:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
My S-Cross 1.6 is very sensitive to fuel quality. Fully imported Fiat engine from Italy . I will post my feedback soon after trying V Power diesel. Do expect in gear acceleration / 0-100 timing. I want to see if there would be real gains in performance. Also, I would not use V Power regularly. May be one tankful every 5000 KM.
Keep in mind though that the company itself is not claiming the fuel to enhance any performance like they do in the V Power Petrol. They basically claim it to have additives to clean the fuel supply system over time.
Old 8th June 2017, 12:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
I did feel the revs getting a little smoother after about 20 kms of driving but didn't give any judgements because I can't conclusively say that the revs will be smoother everytime on the V Power fuel only or because as the manufacturer claims of the cleansing properties, maybe a one time needed cleaning of the fuel injectors is done and consequently the smoothness may even be felt with the regular Diesels. I am waiting to give a more conclusively decision by filling regular Diesel in the Honda next time and observe if the slightly improved free ness is still existent or not. If it is, then my above assumption stands true. But if not, then there's something the additives are doing to give a slightly smoother engine.

But even then, the difference atleast in the Honda is not good enough for me to spend the extra money everytime.

PS: At this time of writing, I've completed almost 140000 kms in my Honda. Till date no additives were used, oil change has been regular though.
I doubt people with very new cars will feel anything at all.

Moreover, I've yet to try out on my Ciaz aka Fiat engine because the European engines are a little more fussy with fuels and react a little differently and more noticeably. Hence my earlier eagerness for a feedback from people having a Fiat, VW or Skoda etc.
I have read in other international forums that one should do at least 2-3 tankfulls of Shell V Power to feel the real difference. So I will follow this and then revert to normal diesel to feel the difference. For me the difference was quite apparent in the first drive only. Btw, my Punto has run fr 38k+ kms and I also havent used any additives till now. My ride is remapped though
Old 8th June 2017, 14:22   #36
BHPian

Quote:
My ride is remapped though
OT
How much did remapping cost you? Car running absolutely fine ? No reliability issues?
Old 8th June 2017, 14:31   #37
BHPian

Quote:
OT
How much did remapping cost you? Car running absolutely fine ? No reliability issues?
My ride is remapped by Viezu. I got a good deal as another friend of mine who owns an Ecosport also got it remapped with me. Will ping you the cost. I have driven 10k+ kms as of now post remap and I havent had any issues till now, touchwood . I didnt go for an aggressive map and asked the tuner to provide more torque at 1200-2500 RPMs to arrest the low end lag in the 90 HP MJD. The bump in power is visible at higher revvs and the bump in torque is felt across the revvs.

BTW I just noticed that you have owned diesel engines in all the available cubic capcities: 1.2 (Polo) , 1.3 (Ciaz), 1.4 (D4D) , 1.5(City) and 1.6 (Verna)

Last edited by Waspune : 8th June 2017 at 14:32.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:

BTW I just noticed that you have owned diesel engines in all the available cubic capcities: 1.2 (Polo) , 1.3 (Ciaz), 1.4 (D4D) , 1.5(City) and 1.6 (Verna)
Heheh.. never saw it that way myself. BTW, add to that the old 2007 1.6 Verna & Hyundai Getz. Those were the real 1.6 power houses. The new one feels quite tame although on paper power figures are drastically upgraded. I still remember getting wheel spins in 3rd gear in the Getz with just a little bit of sand on the road.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:53   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Heheh.. never saw it that way myself. BTW, add to that the old 2007 1.6 Verna & Hyundai Getz. Those were the real 1.6 power houses.
I believe those two were 1.5 diesels and not 1.6, later replaced by 1.4 and 1.6 diesels in the Hyundai CRDi lineup.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 21:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I believe those two were 1.5 diesels and not 1.6, later replaced by 1.4 and 1.6 diesels in the Hyundai CRDi lineup.
Holy crap, you're right.. all these years I genuinely kept believing those were 1.6 and never bothered to actually check. I was in college when those cars came into the family, dad said they were 1.6 so 1.6 it was.

Moreover, the cars power delivery was so good, even compared to other similar diesels, the 1.6 figure just somehow stayed in my mind.. I still cant comprehend how then the current Verna doesnt feel as powerful as the previous one.

Quote:
I have read in other international forums that one should do at least 2-3 tankfulls of Shell V Power to feel the real difference.
With all due respect, I dont think theres any logic to that unless you're sure you've got slightly choked up fuel injectors or something which the company claims will get cleaned up & you're waiting for that to happen.

But if you've got a relatively new car, then there wouldn't be any point to wait & watch till 4 or 5 tank fulls if there's no visible difference with the first fill itself. IMHO if a fuel has to deliver performance, it will do so right away. Like the V power petrol. The slight difference in power is felt instantaneously upon filling and it goes back to normal after switching to regular fuel. If theres something in the fuel that is performance oriented, its going to work anyway with or without choked up fuel lines, & you should be feeling the relative difference anyway as the choked lines would exist for both the fuels.

@mods apologies again. Kindly merge the post if required. Old habits die a little hard.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th June 2017 at 21:51. Reason: Please do not post back to back messages on the same thread. Use the edit option to modify your post within 30 minutes. Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 14:44   #41
BHPian

UPDATE

After about 100 Kms of driving, slight improvement is felt in the smoothness of the upper rev range above 3000 Rpm of the Honda City & also the engine has slightly quietened down. Still no real visible difference in power delivery.
Old 11th June 2017, 12:25   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell V Power diesel is available in Mysore and it costs 67 Rs per litre. I did tank full today. Also, the Shell pump guy explained me the benefits. They claim that it will remove carbon deposits. I would be driving to Mangalore and then I will post the feedback. I couldn't make out any difference as of now. Engine sound is little louder?? (may be Placebo)
Attached Thumbnails
Shell V-Power Diesel launched-img_20170611_114528.jpg  

Shell V-Power Diesel launched-img_20170611_114520.jpg  

Shell V-Power Diesel launched-img_20170611_114458.jpg  

Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 19:29   #43
BHPian

UPDATE

Hi all,

Today again full tanked my Honda City with regular Shell Diesel. Absolutely no degradation in smoothness or anything otherwise was felt. So I think I can conclude that the V PowerDiesel, in Honda city is not providing any tangible benefit for the extra cost except maybe the cleaning action that has​to be accepted in good faith.
Old 12th June 2017, 23:39   #44
BHPian

Shell V-Power Diesel launched

I have now driven a good 300 kms after filing the shell v power diesel and the revvs have become very smooth and the part throttle seems to have improved. Surprising bit is that the FE has also shown an improvement. Will fill normal shell diesel in the next thankful and then conclude the differences.

Last edited by Waspune : 12th June 2017 at 23:40.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 05:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have now driven a good 300 kms after filing the shell v power diesel and the revvs have become very smooth and the part throttle seems to have improved. Surprising bit is that the FE has also shown an improvement. Will fill normal shell diesel in the next thankful and then conclude the differences.
Claiming an improvement because of using a special/costlier version of fuel can always stir a hornets nest. But my own experiences with normal Shell as well as Shell Power petrol have been extremely good and hence I can easily endorse your feeling about a smoother and fuel efficient engine. However, you should fill at least 3-4 tankfuls consecutively to experience real change and to make sure that the perceived change is not the result of placebo effect.

Plus, the next tank of normal diesel is bound to give you good results, courtesy the changes already triggered by V- Power diesel. So it would not really be a fair comparison. If you really need to compare, you should only do so with your last full tank versus the present one .

Last edited by dailydriver : 13th June 2017 at 06:09.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks