Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2023, 00:02   #286

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

Hi everyone. Quick question. I just finished the first service of my Baleno 2022 new model. The manual recommends 0w16 oil but thr SVC didn't have it. They recommended 5w40 or 5w30. I told them the manual recommends 0w16, SVC advisor said they don't have that oil. This is kinda surprising since manual says one thing and these people are suggesting whatever they want, moreover, the product itself is unavailable! I went with the 5w40 option since it was 3.5k for 3.5L opposed to 7.5k for the other option. What is the ideal thing to do in such situations? I started research on this after this experience.

Is the 5w40 good for the new K12N series engine? What should I do?
xodus99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 09:30   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodus99 View Post
Hi everyone. Quick question. I just finished the first service of my Baleno 2022 new model. The manual recommends 0w16 oil but thr SVC didn't have it. They recommended 5w40 or 5w30. I told them the manual recommends 0w16, SVC advisor said they don't have that oil. This is kinda surprising since manual says one thing and these people are suggesting whatever they want, moreover, the product itself is unavailable! I went with the 5w40 option since it was 3.5k for 3.5L opposed to 7.5k for the other option. What is the ideal thing to do in such situations? I started research on this after this experience.

It provides thicker oil film thickness at the expense of marginal drop of fuel economy, if perceptible by owner.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10th March 2023, 09:57   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone. Quick question. I just finished the first service of my Baleno 2022 new model. The manual recommends 0w16 oil but thr SVC didn't have it. They recommended 5w40 or 5w30. I told them the manual recommends 0w16, SVC advisor said they don't have that oil.
Thats just the service center being ignorant. Raise a complaint with Maruti if you have the bill with the oil grade mentioned. Not having the oil is not an excuse to deviate from what the manufacturer has recommended especially for a new vehicle which is under warranty and being serviced by the authorised service center.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 11:12   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Buy the recommended grade of oil from outside, take it to the same service centre and ask them to change the oil by completely draining out the other oil. Change the oil filter too. If you get a service call from Maruti rate these fellows as zero. That will escalate matters pretty quickly. If you don't get a call, make a complaint to Maruti, it will have the same effect.

Don't compromise.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th March 2023 at 08:51. Reason: typo
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 08:24   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Dear Members,

A friend of mine recently purchased a pre-owned 2015 Wagon-R, VXi AMT.

Car user manual is missing.

Appreciate if any member can highlight correct engine oil grade for this model.

Thanks in advance
Sail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
When in doubt, always follow the owners manual. Your WagonR has the K10B, whereas starting from 2014, cars have been getting K-Next engines(WagonR got K-Next sometime in October 2014 IIRC).

They have made some changes like short skirt pistons, Molybdenum coated piston walls, some changes in head design etc, and have then changed the oil to 0w20 grade for increased fuel efficiency.

Since your car's engine is still the older one, I'd recommend you to use 5w30 only.

Also don't take those last two charts too seriously. They do have some errors as I have pointed out. WRT maintenance schedule, follow your owners manual.

The maximum benefit you can get is improved fuel efficiency, and a light feeling engine. But I won't recommend it as some people have also reported rough sounding engines, and too much blow by. So let 0w20 for new engines which have those changes.

BHPian Audioholic too had a similar doubt, and I had explained a similar thing to him. Request you to check the video here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4207791

Regards,
Shashi
Answer to your query, I was in a similar dilemma, but Shashi's reply has cleared the confusion.
Old 21st March 2023, 11:21   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thats just the service center being ignorant. Raise a complaint with Maruti if you have the bill with the oil grade mentioned. Not having the oil is not an excuse to deviate from what the manufacturer has recommended especially for a new vehicle which is under warranty and being serviced by the authorised service center.
Thank you @audioholic. I escalated this and spoke to the GM service here. He understood and promptly got the oil changed.

I also told him I want to see the 0w16 oil before you put it - they acknowledged that and the change happened in front of me.

I also asked him for a refund of the difference since 0w16 is only 1580 something and the 5w40 was 3800. He acknowledged that too and will be issuing a credit note soon.

Thank you for guiding me in the right direction guys.

I must also point out the excellent way that NEXA managed this. They were very prompt. The GM told me he's going to take a meeting and educate the service advisors about oil change. Overall, the experience was excellent.
xodus99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 16:40   #292
BHPian

Why can't Maruti Suzuki mention all the fluids (Engine oil, Transmission oil, Brake oil & Coolant) that needs to be replaced in the owners manual or with a sticker inside the engine bay. Like the one below (Credit: ChrisFix)

It should have all the details such as the SAE Viscosity of the oil to be used along with the API Certification, quantity to be used (including oil filter) and the change interval (both in kms & year). This will clear the confusion for both the owner as well as the mechanic.

Service manual mention all these details but the quantity to be used for the engine oil is more as draining the engine oil from the drain bolt will clear only 80% to 90% of the engine oil and the remaining will still be there inside the oil galleries.
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-oilchangeinownersmanual.png  

bobbyblr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 18:10   #293
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Why can't Maruti Suzuki mention all the fluids (Engine oil, Transmission oil, Brake oil & Coolant) that needs to be replaced in the owners manual or with a sticker inside the engine bay. Like the one below (Credit: ChrisFix)

It should have all the details such as the SAE Viscosity of the oil to be used along with the API Certification, quantity to be used (including oil filter) and the change interval (both in kms & year). This will clear the confusion for both the owner as well as the mechanic.
Here is the relevant information for Gypsy King 1.3 Mpfi
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-c5767dd2d5774c8d9e498d816d3763dc.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2023, 22:34   #294
BHPian

Hi, I was checking MGO 5W-30 Castrol oil. It says API SG+. It specifically mentions for Maruti cars equipped with K-Series engines.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-engi..._mgo-58253693/
AFAIK, SG is quite an old API spec for 90s vehicles like F-series engines. What is API SG+? What is '+' in it and how is it suitable for K-series engines which are very recent engines.
Old 3rd May 2023, 04:11   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM_360 View Post
Hi, I was checking MGO 5W-30 Castrol oil. It says API SG+. It specifically mentions for Maruti cars equipped with K-Series engines.
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-engi..._mgo-58253693/
AFAIK, SG is quite an old API spec for 90s vehicles like F-series engines. What is API SG+? What is '+' in it and how is it suitable for K-series engines which are very recent engines.
Although SG+ specification does not exist as per API, but I believe that this is a crude way of communicating with customers that this oil meets requirements of Maruti engines that recommend SG or higher grades.

This was also mentioned on my 2008 Santro Owner's manual but they chose to write a few words rather than the sign +, which made it clear that we can use any grade above SG.

What they should understand is that writing something on the Owner's Manual is something and on the oil can is another thing.

SG+ on the oil can makes it confusing and someone may pour this oil in a BS6 compliant engine.

Apologies for the poor image quality, it is downloaded from the internet.
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-c7f385b1e6af891d16cf39733011370569033dbf2.jpg  

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 3rd May 2023 at 04:16.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 11:49   #296

Why are Maruti Dealer Service centers reluctant to carry out oil changes with the customer supplied oil especially after the vehicle is out of warranty period? i wanted to opt for Mobil1 5w-40 oil for my Baleno Ddis but the service center is adamant that they wont permit any customer supplied oil. They regularly fill the Mobil super 3000 5w-40 grade oil. Whether any intervention by the MSIL customer care would be of any use?

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th June 2023 at 12:09. Reason: typo
babukvishnu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 14:55   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babukvishnu View Post
Why are Maruti Dealer Service centers reluctant to carry out oil changes with the customer supplied oil especially after the vehicle is out of warranty period? i wanted to opt for Mobil1 5w-40 oil for my Baleno Ddis but the service center is adamant that they wont permit any customer supplied oil. They regularly fill the Mobil super 3000 5w-40 grade oil. Whether any intervention by the MSIL customer care would be of any use?
I have almost always supplied my own oil at the time of service at the Nexa service centre. They haven't denied me from using my own oil which is always Mobil 1
Gupts007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 15:01   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
I have almost always supplied my own oil at the time of service at the Nexa service centre. They haven't denied me from using my own oil which is always Mobil 1
Do they make any special remarks in the service bill such as "customer supplied oil" ? Next time I plan to escalate it to MSIL customer care for permitting me to carry in my choice of oil.
Old 26th June 2023, 15:18   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Ordered a 3.5L can of Total Quartz 0W20 oil from Amazon instead. MGP stores are also so incompetent that they dont know which grade of oil needs to be used for which model.
Apart from Total Quartz I saw castrol magnatec, Idemitsu and Shell on Amazon but Total was rated API SP so wanted to try if there is a difference.
What are your views on the 0w20 Total Quartz 9000? I am myself in a dilemma about choosing the engine oil for my Baleno 2022 for the 10k service. I always get the Mobil 1 for all my vehicles but 0w20 is not available on Amazon without paying crazy sums of money. So I narrowed down to Quartz or Helix.
Old 26th June 2023, 15:30   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
What are your views on the 0w20 Total Quartz 9000? I am myself in a dilemma about choosing the engine oil for my Baleno 2022 for the 10k service. I always get the Mobil 1 for all my vehicles but 0w20 is not available on Amazon without paying crazy sums of money. So I narrowed down to Quartz or Helix.
To be honest I havent driven the Celerio much in a long time to be able to comment on this. I have driven it once or twice in the last few months and was not able to perceive any difference from earlier. I think Shell 0W20 should be available both in MGP and non MGP avatar since I got one 3.5L can for my Slavia a few months ago. Thats something I have used from a long time and is better than the MGP Castrol oil that dealerships usually fill. But between Shell and Total I am not in a position to speak about the differences.

Last edited by audioholic : 26th June 2023 at 15:32.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks