Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2018, 20:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

Was searching for 'Shell Helix HX5' and amazon displayed 2 products at varying prices, both displaying oil specs as 15W40.
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-hx51.png

On closer inspection, realized that one is meant for diesel engines (15W40) and another is for Petrol engines (5W30).

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-hx52.png
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-hx53.png

Choose wisely.
Old 5th August 2018, 21:23   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Was searching for 'Shell Helix HX5' and amazon displayed 2 products at varying prices, both displaying oil specs as 15W40.

On closer inspection, realized that one is meant for diesel engines (15W40) and another is for Petrol engines (5W30).
I had ordered 15W40 for my WagonR just a month back and received the correct one. I ordered the second product in the image provided by you (the one with 7 customer reviews) for Rs. 1090 approx. Image of the product is misrepresented as 5W30.
Attached Images

Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2018, 16:58   #78
BANNED

In Cochin, at all MASS'es, the per litre cost varies b/w Rs.1000 to 1250 for fully synthetic diesel oils.

But in Amazon, its half the price, are these fake or old stock or are the MASS'es fleecing the customers?

Last edited by mithun : 14th August 2018 at 16:59.
Old 14th August 2018, 18:57   #79
BHPian

My mom's new petrol swift amt got its 5k km service done today. I had insisted on an oil change. When I was discussing with the Service advisor during the estimate, I asked him which brand of oil they use. He told me Castrol semisynthetic that they get in the barrels and use with the overhead dispensers. I left it at that not realising I should have prodded further.

After the service was done, I was shocked to notice on the bill that the service centre has used Castrol magnatec 5w30 instead of 0w20. On further discussion, the SA assured me that if any engine issues crop up , maruti will not deny warranty since the oil was used by the service centre.
If any issues do occur it would only occur after a considerable amount of KMs and towards the end of my 5 year warranty hence I will procure my own oil ( official MGO oil) since the current service station has only 5w30 semisynthetic and 0w20 only in full synthetic.

I do not want to raise a big issue with Maruti since I have a very good rapport with this service centre, they used to easily approve any additional parts under warranty even if not needed and generally never forced extra services on me. Hence in future I will ask beforehand if they have the oil and if they are unable to procure, I will buy from outside and get the oil registered in the bill. They seem ok with this process.

I will change over to 0w20 during the 10k service but I will see if the mileage drops due to the thicker oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img_20180814_181348.jpg  

Old 14th August 2018, 20:44   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
After the service was done, I was shocked to notice on the bill that the service centre has used Castrol magnatec 5w30 instead of 0w20. On further discussion, the SA assured me that if any engine issues crop up , maruti will not deny warranty since the oil was used by the service centre.
Do not worry, 5W30 shall not cause any ill effects on your engine in short term or long term.

If you refer to the owner's manual, you will find that more than one grades of oil can be used, depending upon the ambient temperature. Along with 0W20, I expect 5W30 also to be specified there. I regularly use 5W30 for my SX4 Zxi VVT. Covered more than 1,00,000 km so far without absolutely no issues.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 14th August 2018 at 20:45.
Old 15th August 2018, 12:25   #81
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a first Gen Dzire VXI 2009 model and engine oil used by the MASS has always been 5W-30 which is the recommended oil from Maruti according to them.

As per the chart in the opening post also, for Old Swift/Dzire it is 5W-30. I have highlighted that in the image below (Courtesy: Image taken from opening post and added the highlight)
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-maruti-engine-oilspetrol.jpg

When I checked my Owners Manual, it has a chart from which the oil grade can be chosen. The text following that says recommended engine oil is "20W-40" which isn't on the chart. The Chart does have 5W-30 and 20W-50
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-engine-oilfrom-manual.jpg

Does the text below the chart have a typo - where it says 20W-40, should it have been 20W-50 ?

Or does the Chart actually have the typo ? I think 20W-40 is indeed correct and 20W-50 is wrong on the chart ?

According to the chart, 20W-50 (40?) is good for usage in places with atmospheric temperature range of -10 to 40 deg C, whereas 5W-30 is good for use between -30 to 30 deg C.

I think for general usage around Southern India, 20W-50 (40?) is better than 5W-30 since the warmer temperatures can go up to 40 deg C ?

Last edited by NPV : 15th August 2018 at 12:37.
Old 15th August 2018, 15:12   #82
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The text following that says recommended engine oil is "20W-40" which isn't on the chart. The Chart does have 5W-30 and 20W-50
Apart from this, I noticed that the ambient temperatures for two oil grades; 5W30 and 10W30, don't match with the ambient temperatures mentioned in my 2007 Honda City ZX's manual.

Click on the image to read it clearly.
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-20180815_140426.jpg

The differences;
  • According to your Dzire's manual, 5W30 oil is good only till 30 deg C but my City's manual says that 5W30 is good even for temperatures >40 deg C.
  • Even for 10W30, Maruti say that max temperature is 30 deg C but Honda again says it is good for even >40 deg C temperatures.
Who is correct ? I don't know for sure but I feel it is Honda. The reason is that 5W30 oil is a very common grade oil which is used by multiple OEMs in multiple cars running all over India. Had this oil grade be limited to working only till 30 deg C, we would not have had so many OEMs recommend this oil for their cars. Actually so many states have their temperatures exceeding 30 deg C in monsoons and winters, leave aside summers, so it is not possible that so many OEMs will instruct their ASC to use 5W30 in such conditions.

Quote:
According to the chart, 20W-50 (40?) is good for usage in places with atmospheric temperature range of -10 to 40 deg C, whereas 5W-30 is good for use between -30 to 30 deg C.

I think for general usage around Southern India, 20W-50 (40?) is better than 5W-30 since the warmer temperatures can go up to 40 deg C ?
Like I already mentioned, there seems to be a mistake in the temperature range for 5W30. This created the confusion for you so let's wait for some experts to clarify the same and if it is indeed a mistake then you can continue using 5W30 that your ASC is also recommending.

As far as 20W50(40?) oil goes, won't this grade be too thick for a modern engine ? I wonder why Maruti believes this to be the best for it's engine.
OSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2018, 15:53   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does the text below the chart have a typo - where it says 20W-40, should it have been 20W-50 ?

[i]Or does the Chart actually have the typo ? I think 20W-40 is indeed correct and 20W-50 is wrong on the chart ?
It is a typo but IMO, the chart is correct and it shall be 10W40.

The temperature range suitable for each oil must be engine dependant. That is why different manufacturers have different recommendation. Even two types of engine from the same manufacturer may have different recommendation. Take example of my SX4 Petrol. The recommendation is like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-screenshot_20180815155024.png  

Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 16:53   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Do not worry, 5W30 shall not cause any ill effects on your engine in short term or long term.

If you refer to the owner's manual, you will find that more than one grades of oil can be used, depending upon the ambient temperature. Along with 0W20, I expect 5W30 also to be specified there. I regularly use 5W30 for my SX4 Zxi VVT. Covered more than 1,00,000 km so far without absolutely no issues.
I had planned on checking by how much my car's fuel efficiency would decrease, since MASS had filled 5W30 oil instead of 0W20.
I was supposed to do the tankfull method but mom, who uses the car everyday, filled up petrol randomly inbetween and messed up the readings.

Anyways, the MID show an average reading of 15.2kmpl which is less than the 16.2- 16.4kmpl shown before the oil was changed. Now I know this reading is not accurate and I will check the mileage by the proper method but I see no positive from using the thicker oil, there was the much smoother engine sound after the oil change but it could be a general feeling of new oil, not specific to the thicker oil.
I will go back to 0W20 and this time I will insist that MASS procures it themselves else I will have to raise a complaint.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 23:23   #85
BHPian

Guys, I'm in a dilemma regarding the grade of engine oil for my 2014 Swift petrol.

The owners manual which came with my car specifies 5W30 engine oil to be used. But the Maruti Service centre has been putting in 0W20 since my car's very first oil change which happened in 2015. The car had done 6k kilometers approx at the time of first oil change. I have no idea how this goof up happened. Now when I go into the details I see that the minor facelift of Swift came with a slightly retuned K series engine, and that engine requires 0W20.

Right now my car has done 35k kms and I have been thinking of getting the oil replaced but confused as to which grade of oil to go for.
Will it cause any harm to the engine if I switch to Shell mineral 5W30 now considering that last 30k kms have been on 0W20?
Or should I continue with 0W20 grade?

Last edited by Sherlocked : 9th November 2018 at 23:25.
Old 9th November 2018, 23:31   #86
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Will it cause any harm to the engine if I switch to Shell mineral 5W30 now considering that last 30k kms have been on 0W20?
Or should I continue with 0W20 grade?
I have noticed that this is becoming very common in the dealer owned service centres and they're using 0w20 and 5w30 interchangeably.
It has happened to both our cars earlier and now I insist on using the same oil grade as recommended in the owners manual.
Just go with mineral/semi synthetic 5w30 grade as recommended in your manual. For the last service of my Dzire (petrol) I bought the Shell Helix HX5 5w30 oil (semi synthetic) from the local MGP store.

Last edited by NPV : 9th November 2018 at 23:58.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 23:43   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

In addition to what DBHPian NPV has said, its extremely important to use the correct grade oil, more so in the case of VVT systems. I recently came across this video:

If you skip to 4:00, he emphasises about the correct grade of oil for these systems.

Now coming to your issue, I won't recommend 0W20 for an engine which hasn't been designed for it. Switch to a quality synthetic or Semi-Synthetic. On Amazon, they sell some nice oils in that grade like Motul 4100 or the Shell Helix HX8(claims to be a synthetic oil, but doesn't cost that much). Shell HX8 works wonders with K series engines before 2015. Try it once.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th November 2018 at 23:44.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 23:54   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Just go with mineral/semi synthetic 5w30 grade as recommended in your manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
I won't recommend 0W20 for an engine which hasn't been designed for it. Switch to a quality synthetic or Semi-Synthetic. On Amazon, they sell some nice oils in that grade like Motul 4100 or the Shell Helix HX8(claims to be a synthetic oil, but doesn't cost that much). Shell HX8 works wonders with K series engines before 2015. Try it once.
Thanks! This clears my doubt. I will try Shell HX8 this time.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 13:11   #89
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Shell HX8 works wonders with K series engines before 2015. Try it once.
Can I use this with the first gen Dzire 1.3 litre G13B petrol engine ?

Shell HX5 5w30 mineral oil was priced Rs.1089 for 3.5 litres and the HX8 Synthetic is another 600 or so more on Amazon (MRP 2975, Offer price 1664).

However, the only MGSO 5w30 oil is Castrol Magnatec Professional which does not come in 3.5 litre can, only 3 litre can is available for Rs.1890 and one needs to buy another 1 litre can so that 3.1/3.2 litres will be used for replacement and the remaining kept for top up later. This was the reason why I avoided buying it this time and also since I bought from the MGP store (do not stock non-MGO/MGSO oils).

Last edited by NPV : 10th November 2018 at 13:19.
Old 10th November 2018, 14:52   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can I use this with the first gen Dzire 1.3 litre G13B petrol engine ?
Yes, its good, and VFM as well.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed