Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2018, 13:18   #91
BHPian

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Shell HX8 works wonders with K series engines before 2015. Try it once.
I got the oil change done yesterday with Shell HX8 5W30.

The change is significant, in a good way of course.
I liked how the overall NVH reduced right from the first crank. At lower RPMs, on the move, all I can hear is the tyre noise now.

The car pulls great. Second and third gear have become more addictive now.
This is my first experience with a synthetic oil and it's quite a change I would say considering I was on a Total 0W20 mineral oil before it.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 06:01   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I got the oil change done yesterday with Shell HX8 5W30.

The change is significant, in a good way of course.
I'm glad you liked it. Correct grade plus better quality both worked in your case. Total 0W20 is a great oil, but wasn't meant for your car.

BHPian Rshrey22 had a similar experience with the HX8:

Quote:
Well guys,

HX8 did wonders to my waggy! I must say, my car went from a roaring lion to a purring cat!!

Whatever it is, it's great stuff! I'll be sticking to standard 10k km oil change interval with it.
Link: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4489619 (ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil)

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 16th November 2018 at 06:02.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 12:34   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I'm glad you liked it. Correct grade plus better quality both worked in your case. Total 0W20 is a great oil, but wasn't meant for your car.
Shashi, MASS in Hyderabad are now fully Total branded (including engine Oil). Was there any circular issued from MGP ?
Old 21st December 2018, 13:31   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti recommends a weird and not so common grade for K15B engine(Ciaz and Ertiga Petrol).

Thanks to Dr. Naren for sending images of this elusive oil:

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img20181221wa0012.jpg

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img20181221wa0013.jpg

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-img20181221wa0014.jpg

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 21st December 2018 at 13:36.
Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 13:41   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

^^This must be fully synthetic engine oil rather than the more common 'synthetic technology' or semi synth oil which most manufacturers are using these days costing 400 bucks a liter. Pointer: The hefty price tag of 6.3K.
I think this 0W-16 grade is a gimmick to keep customers from buying oil from outside. Though may be substituted with nearby grades, but this specific grade will be tough to find in outside market.

Also, this grade of oil is used by some manufactures like Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc in the western market.

Last edited by saket77 : 21st December 2018 at 13:46.
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 13:50   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Though may be substituted with nearby grades, but this specific grade will be tough to find in outside market.
I agree. The first time I saw the grade in the video, I thought it was a Typo and was searching for the report button.

On a serious note, I wouldn't recommend changing viscosity grades, specially in the engines with VVT. Even a minor change in specification plays havoc with the Variable Valve timing system.

More details in this Video:

Hence I'd trust the manufacturer's R&D deptt in such cases, even if it was originally meant to be a gimmick.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 14:27   #97
BHPian

A number of oil majors have been working on ultra-low viscosity oils for a number of years. Needless to say that the OEMs such as Toyota & Honda have been the driving force behind this movement. The primary drivers are better fuel efficiency, lower emissions & close tolerance engines.

Shell has been selling 0W-16 in the Japanese market since 2014 & this grade became available in North America earlier March this year.

0W-16 is also recommended for 2018 Toyota Camry 2.5 ltr, 2018 Honda Fit (Honda Jazz in India) and Honda Accord Hybrid sold in the North American markets. These OEMs recommend the use of 0W-20 incase 0W-16 is not available.

Let's look at the specs of 0W-20 & 0W-16 oils.

The major difference is in the viscosity@100C for the two oils. It is 8.7 cSt vs 7.2 cSt for the 0W-20 & 0W-16 respectively. The HTHS (High-temperature high shear) viscosity is 2.7 vs 2.3 mPa.s@150C which again is quite significant.

The movement towards lower viscosity oils is not limited to automotive engines but is also seen in heavy-duty truck engines and European OEMs are driving that trend.

A large majority of HD truck coming out of Europe use 5W-30 diesel engine oil and a few even lower viscosity grades.

As newer emission norms become applicable in India such as Euro VI the movement towards lower viscosity oils is going to continue.

* All data applicable for Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy formulation
** Data source Mobil website

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 21st December 2018 at 14:29.
Vikram Arya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 03:38   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Shashi, MASS in Hyderabad are now fully Total branded (including engine Oil). Was there any circular issued from MGP ?
Sorry, somehow I missed your post. Maruti doesn't recommend brands of lubes to any MASS/region. At the most, the circular can announce addition of a new brand with relevant part numbers/details. Just as an information.

Most MASS go by the percentage of margin available on different brands. Hence IOCL aka Servo is found at most of the workshops. Other factors include activity of local distributor. For example, our city got a new Mobil1 distributor, and hence most of the MASS have switched to Mobil.

There are also some owners who stock lubes based on customer feedback. However the number of such workshops is very less.

Hope you get the idea.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2019, 22:35   #99
BHPian

I gave my Alto 800 for the 20k kms service. They have poured Castrol 0W20 mineral oil (99999M00W20-CAS) instead of recommended 5W-30. Can 0W20 be harmful in any way for the F8D ? Should I get it changed to the recommended grade ?
Udit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 05:48   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
I gave my Alto 800 for the 20k kms service. They have poured Castrol 0W20 mineral oil (99999M00W20-CAS) instead of recommended 5W-30. Can 0W20 be harmful in any way for the F8D ? Should I get it changed to the recommended grade ?
Please trust no one except your Owner's Manual for grade recommendation.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th February 2019, 12:39   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
Please remember car manufacturers update their oil viscosity recommendations over time as newer models are introduced.

It is important to understand only the owners manual supplied with YOUR car is THE authoritative document that will detail which lubes and fluids are to be used in that particular model. The exception is if the car manufacturer explicitly states their current recommendations are for all or some older models. In such a case, the model years and engine models are specified.

If the current 0W-20 is not mentioned in your owners manual then tell the ASC to use one that recommended for your car. Do NOT use a thinner oil like 0W-20 (or the latest "xW-16") in an old model engine, it may lead to engine damage.
R2D2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:30   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

After Ciaz and Ertiga 1.5 Petrol, Maruti Suzuki has moved to 0W16 grade for even the New WagonR, both K10B and K12M engines

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-capture.jpg

Looks like all K series engines will eventually move to 0W16 grade.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 19:43   #103
BHPian

Quote:
On a serious note, I wouldn't recommend changing viscosity grades, specially in the engines with VVT. Even a minor change in specification plays havoc with the Variable Valve timing system.
I've been running Mobil 1 0W40 in my K12 VVT Dzire (5W30 recommended by MS) for past 35,000 kms, and there have been absolutely no issues to report.

It's just that when 5W30 is used, the engine is a little eager to rev and pick up speeds. But the difference is very feeble to notice.

Frankly speaking, I prefer to run a little thicker oil in my family's cars as thicker oil offers greater protection.

Maybe the VVT system in Indian cars is not as sensitive as in the European and American cars due to obviously visible rough conditions that Indian cars endure.
Old 14th February 2019, 02:30   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I've been running Mobil 1 0W40 in my K12 VVT Dzire (5W30 recommended by MS) for past 35,000 kms, and there have been absolutely no issues to report.

Frankly speaking, I prefer to run a little thicker oil in my family's cars as thicker oil offers greater protection.
0W40 that you are using is thinner than 5W30 recommended by MSIL.
Old 14th February 2019, 08:43   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
0W40 that you are using is thinner than 5W30 recommended by MSIL.
It is thinner only at startup, once it gets to operating temperature, it becomes thicker than 5W30's 30 grade (0W40 is 40 grade, 30<40).
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks