Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2019, 19:01   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

As mentioned in the first page, many of these oils have MOQ(Minimum Order Quantity) and retailers may not like to stock good oil due to lesser margin.

A friend needed Shell 20W40 MGO, as its anyday better than the commonly available Servo. It had MOQ of 6, hence I picked them all. Since he has higher running and follows a change interval of 5000kms, I am expecting him to use atleast 3 such cans within a year.

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-20190226_154755.jpg

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-20190226_160912.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 14:27   #107
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Our 2016 WagonR's scheduled service interval is round the corner. At the previous service (at Dealer owned workshop), they said 0W20 is not easily available and also said Maruti has sent a circular saying 5W30 is recommended. Since I refused to budge, they finally sourced Castrol 0W20 (99999M00W20-CAS) and billed me for the same (roughly around Rs.1000 for 2.9 Litres).
This time, not wanting to take a chance, I thought I'll buy it myself and get the service done at dealer workshop. None of the MGP stores nearby had this grade, so I started looking at Shell outlets and they also did not have it.
Finally, went to Essar Automotives on Siddaiah Road near Urvashi Theatre, this is one of the largest MGP dealerships. They had Shell's 3.5 Litre 0W20 engine oil can and it cost Rs.1404 (Part #99999M00W20-SHL).

As per my understanding, the nomenclature of "MGO" and Part # having just "M" in it is for Mineral/semi-synthetic engine oil. However, the rear side sticker on the can says "Fully Synthetic Motor Oil". Why isn't it then classified as "MGSO" and part # with "MS" ? Also, Fully Synthetic Oil grades are usually quite expensive in the range of almost Rs.1000 a litre ?

Attaching couple pictures of the can here:
Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-wr-svc2.jpg

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-wr-svc3.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 24th March 2019 at 14:29.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 00:53   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
As per my understanding, the nomenclature of "MGO" and Part # having just "M" in it is for Mineral/semi-synthetic engine oil. However, the rear side sticker on the can says "Fully Synthetic Motor Oil". Why isn't it then classified as "MGSO" and part # with "MS" ? Also, Fully Synthetic Oil grades are usually quite expensive in the range of almost Rs.1000 a litre ?
Like MGP is Maruti Genuine Part, MGO is Maruti Genuine Oil.

Like you, I too think that this is not the "fully synthetic" oil like the high performance costly oils.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 21:58   #109
BHPian

I bought "Mobil Super 3000 0W-20 Synthetic Engine Oil" from Flipkart for Rs. 1223/- some offer was going on. I don't know how they're offering a fully synthetic oil at this price, but I'm not complaining! Came well packed, and my Baleno is purring away.
d_himan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 22:57   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
I bought "Mobil Super 3000 0W-20 Synthetic Engine Oil" from Flipkart for Rs. 1223/- some offer was going on. I don't know how they're offering a fully synthetic oil at this price, but I'm not complaining! Came well packed, and my Baleno is purring away.
Have been using this oil from the last 20000 kms on my Celerio and just purchased another can today for the upcoming service. This oil is definitely better than the Castrol 0W20 which is just a little cheaper and the Shell makes the engine run smoother with lesser vibrations and engine noise especially at idle. This is no placebo effect since I have driven my Celerio and my aunts celerio back to back and the difference can be felt. Hence I insisted my dealer to get this oil. They did not have it in stock and hence I told them that I would be sending the oil since it is available in my neighborhood MGP store. The last two times, I got castrol filled during service, drove to my friends garage and switched to Shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
There are many reasons why this oil is priced lesser than the usual synthetic oil. First being of a narrow viscosity grade, its cheaper to manufacture. Synthetic oils are a mix of substances which have different responses to temperature. The wider the viscosity, the more complex the blend will be which increases cost. Hence, a Shell 10W40 semi-synthetic oil is more expensive than the 0W20 fully synthetic oil. Same case for the 5W40 fully synthetic which is more expensive. On the other hand, the oils which were earlier imported are now being manufactured here. That also points towards a reduction in costs. A Mobil1 synthetic oil of 5W40 is retailing for 1.8k for the same 3.5L can. The oils that fall in the Rs. 1000/L are usually imported oils with a wide viscosity grade like 0W40 or so.

The motul fully synthetic oil I use for my two wheelers are imported from France or Thailand and they are in the range of 700 per liter for 10W40 grade.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 14:43   #111
BHPian

After reading the reviews here, I wanted to get Shell 0W20 MGO for my swift's 3rd free service. But sourcing it in Chennai was tough. Even the Nexa service here(they use Castrol) was not ready to place an order for it in spite of me ready to wait. Reaching Maruti too didn't yield any solid result. TSM spoke with Nexa manager and Nexa was thinking of placing an order on Amazon. Who would have borne the shipping cost of Rs.360 remains a question. Fortunately, I was able to source it from Autodrome Chennai.
Nimalan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 14:46   #112
BHPian

Have my Baleno's 20 K service coming up and I am finding it tough to find a fully synthetic oil (0w-20). The two Nexa service centres I called only have castrol mineral oil and are not ready to source it from elsewhere.

Called the Nexa help line too but they are guiding them to service centres again.

What do i do ?
Old 24th April 2019, 19:42   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Have my Baleno's 20 K service coming up and I am finding it tough to find a fully synthetic oil (0w-20). The two Nexa service centres I called only have castrol mineral oil and are not ready to source it from elsewhere.

Called the Nexa help line too but they are guiding them to service centres again.

What do i do ?
Get the service done at the Service station with the cheapest oil they offer, run the car for a 1000kms and then purchase full synthetic 0w20 oil from market or internet, go to nearby FNG and get the oil changed, run it for 9000kms or till next service. You can buy Idemitsu 0w20 that is used in Honda cars.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 24th April 2019 at 19:44.
Rshrey22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2019, 22:37   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post

What do i do ?
Four options I can see.

1. Write a strong worded mail to contact@maruti.co.in . This would take time, hence I don't see this as a feasible option.

2. Source from MGP store, offer to buy a whole carton of 6, keep the bill and take one can along with you for every service(I did the same for a friend, purchased a whole carton for him). As long as it is MGO, the workshop won't and cannot object.

3. Get from these sources:

https://www.amazon.in/MOBIL1-0W-20-Advanced-Synthetic-Lubricant/dp/B07H3T3R94/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3?keywords=maruti+0w20&qid=15561 25388&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull

OR

https://www.flybhp.com/maruti-genuine-oil-0w-20.html

Make sure they write in the bill/job card that Customer carried his own MGO 0W20 oil. If you opt for 2nd option, then also make them enter this comment in the system. Make sure the key words MGO and 0W20 are entered.

4. Do as BHPian Rshrey22 said. Easier than above hassles. Better if you do as a DIY.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 23:25   #115
BHPian

A friend of mine has got the New Wagon R K12. It's due for its first 1k KM's first service. Although the schedule doesn't mention oil change for this service but he wishes to change the oil. And there is the issue since manual says 0W16.

Tried calling few service centre asking about the availability but shockingly they all stock & use 5W30.

I tried few stores too for MGO, least I can see is 0W20 but that too extremely rare for them so they can't guarantee spot availability due to stock issue & wants us to place order for larger quantities.

Wondering what to do now as authorised service points are admitting use of 5W30 for a car where manufacturer specify 0W16. To their defence they claim Maruti doesn't mind & it won't void warranty if we fill that oil from service centre. Over phone, they aren't agreeing for out side oil.

Maruti is supposed to be peace of mind for maintenance but within 1k KM's, it's showing such ugly face.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:28   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
A friend of mine has got the New Wagon R K12. It's due for its first 1k KM's first service. Although the schedule doesn't mention oil change for this service but he wishes to change the oil. And there is the issue since manual says 0W16.

Tried calling few service centre asking about the availability but shockingly they all stock & use 5W30.

I tried few stores too for MGO, least I can see is 0W20 but that too extremely rare for them so they can't guarantee spot availability due to stock issue & wants us to place order for larger quantities.

Wondering what to do now as authorised service points are admitting use of 5W30 for a car where manufacturer specify 0W16. To their defence they claim Maruti doesn't mind & it won't void warranty if we fill that oil from service centre. Over phone, they aren't agreeing for out side oil.

Maruti is supposed to be peace of mind for maintenance but within 1k KM's, it's showing such ugly face.
I think MS has specified such low viscosity oils because the use of these oils makes your car sip lesser petrol. This is for them 'Kitna Deti Hai' enthusiasts!

5w30 will do absolutely no harm to your car, might actually be better than 0w16 in protecting your car's engine due to its greater thickness.

I've been using 0w40 in my dzire petrol (specified 5w30), for the past 40k kms, the engine purrs like a kitten and this is not an exaggeration!
Only thing is that using 40 grade oil leads to drop in fuel economy by 2kms as it's thicker at operating temperature.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 14th May 2019 at 11:35.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 00:02   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
5w30 will do absolutely no harm to your car, might actually be better than 0w16 in protecting your car's engine due to its greater thickness.
Settled for 0W20.

While hunting for a service centre, we ended up finding an old contact (from previous Mitsubishi Service Centre) working as Service Advisor at a nearby Maruti Workshop. Thanks to his proactive effort & hard work, he was able to arrange 0W20 from some place of their Kolkata/Howrah network.

Quote:
I think MS has specified such low viscosity oils because the use of these oils makes your car sip lesser petrol. This is for them 'Kitna Deti Hai' enthusiasts
By the way, one of the main reason for this Wagon R is it's fuel efficiency figures. Other one would be the resale value within 3 years. So better mileage is always welcome & if 0W16 with 5k kms drain interval gives better figure at the cost of vehicle life, we won't mind.

But I agree with your views about heavier or thick oil. Factory filled oil (I guess it was 0W16) simply felt awful on it's maiden long drive. Out on highway, driving 400/500kms non stop makes the engine feel so harsh & so bad.

However this car is primarily for city drive. 100/120 kms a day on Kolkata with lots of stop didn't give any bad feeling with the factory given oil or this fresh 0W20.

Thanks

Last edited by NaXal : 15th May 2019 at 00:08. Reason: Added extra quote
Old 15th May 2019, 00:29   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Settled for 0W20.
Sorry for the late revert. Anyways posting part numbers of the 0W16 grade, incase it helps anyone:

For Idemitsu: 99999M00W16-IDT

For Shell: 99999M00W16-SHL

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 00:37   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
For Idemitsu: 99999M00W16-IDT

For Shell: 99999M00W16-SHL
Thanks for the information.

Do you have anymore details like what type of oil they are (Mineral / Synthetic) & approximate costs per litre (MRP)?

Old 15th May 2019, 09:27   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information.

Do you have anymore details like what type of oil they are (Mineral / Synthetic) & approximate costs per litre (MRP)?

As per the claim on the can, its a FULL SYNTHETIC Oil, and its MRP is Rs. 1575 for a can of 3.5L.

Comes in pack of 4, the MRP on the whole package being Rs. 6300(for 14L).

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks