Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2019, 19:58   #121
BHPian

Re: Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki

Had a query, my Baleno 1.2 Delta petrol is up for 50k service. The last time I went to the Service center for the 40k kms service, they charged me 1000/- per litre of synthetic oil and so the amount was 3.5k.

However, when I check on Amazon, the Shell Helix Ultra costs just 1.5k for 3.5 litres of oil. The difference though is that Maruti recommends 0w20 for petrol with quality classification of SL whereas the one I am getting online is 5w30 with quality classification of SN.

Since I stay in Mumbai so I don't think a lower end of 0 vs 5 would make a difference, but I am not too sure about the SL vs SN thing. Could anybody please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 14th June 2019, 05:57   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
........ but I am not too sure about the SL vs SN thing.
For a layman, these are grades given to various engine oils by the API(American Petroleum Institute). SN is more updated and advanced classification wise than SM or SL. Older Maruti manuals recommended as ancient as the SC grade.

Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki-capture.png

Link: https://www.api.org/products-and-ser...s#tab-gasoline

Regarding the engine oil cost, this is what I've deduced after discussion with several in house oil experts. OWXX grade can only be formulated using synthetic technology. Secondly, wider the viscosity range, costlier the engine oil. For example, 0W40 will be dearer than 0W20 oil. If you check your bill, I'm sure MASS has billed you for 0W40 grade oil.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th June 2019 at 05:58.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th June 2019, 12:37   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Get the service done at the Service station with the cheapest oil they offer, run the car for a 1000kms and then purchase full synthetic 0w20 oil from market or internet, go to nearby FNG and get the oil changed, run it for 9000kms or till next service. You can buy Idemitsu 0w20 that is used in Honda cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Four options I can see.

1. Write a strong worded mail to contact@maruti.co.in . This would take time, hence I don't see this as a feasible option.

Make sure they write in the bill/job card that Customer carried his own MGO 0W20 oil. If you opt for 2nd option, then also make them enter this comment in the system. Make sure the key words MGO and 0W20 are entered.

Regards,
Shashi
My apologies for the delayed response. Post this thread here is what happened :

I sent a mail to the Nexa and Maruti customer care with a strong tone. Next day recieved call from the QRM of Nexa Varun. A well spoken gentlemen who understood my problem but the sad thing they will not be able to get me fully synthetic oil. Reasons mentioned are :
1. Maruti doesn't recommend fully synthetic oil for Baleno petrol. They don't have any circulars as such that stating so.
2. Maruti doesn't ship them fully synthetic. They have to go with what they recieve from MSIL which is always the mineral oil they get in drums.

I knew the above points are rubbish and they are at the will of ordering the stock as per they want.
He finally convinced me to go for 5W-30 fully synthetic which is used in diesels which is politely declined.

This is a sad state, I even called the other maruti service centres and nexas but none of them are willing to order FS 0W-20. Frustrated !!!

Only option is to go with Idemitsu. Any reviews from fellow members
Old 29th June 2019, 13:21   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
My apologies for the delayed response. Post this thread here is what happened
I feel MS is quoting 0w16 and 0w20 oils just to declare highest fuel economy figures that their cars are capable of delivering. It is because these oils offer extremely low resistance thus efficiency increases. But however they do not protect your car's engine very well as they are very thin.

These oils are not really available in market, they were recommended only to please customers with high efficiency figures.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd September 2019 at 21:18. Reason: compacted quoted post
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 03:43   #125
BHPian

Recently got my 4th service done at Nexa Ambattur in Chennai. I didn't ask for synthetic, just reminded them that they were to use 0W20 and nothing else.

On the bill the oil used was listed as 'ECSTAR Petrol 0W20 - IDEMITSU'. I know Idemitsu makes high quality oils, but ECSTAR appears to be Suzuki's own brand (for which the oils are supplied by Idemitsu). Have only run a couple of hundred kms so far but find it as smooth or smoother than the Shell fully synth that I used for the 10K service.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 13:49   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
Had a query, my Baleno 1.2 Delta petrol is up for 50k service. The last time I went to the Service center for the 40k kms service, they charged me 1000/- per litre of synthetic oil and so the amount was 3.5k.

However, when I check on Amazon, the Shell Helix Ultra costs just 1.5k for 3.5 litres of oil. The difference though is that Maruti recommends 0w20 for petrol with quality classification of SL whereas the one I am getting online is 5w30 with quality classification of SN.

Since I stay in Mumbai so I don't think a lower end of 0 vs 5 would make a difference, but I am not too sure about the SL vs SN thing. Could anybody please help. Thanks in advance.
I have been using 5w30 engine oil in my Baleno 1.2 Petrol from a long time.

I'm not comfortable using 0w20 in climate like Mumbai, where temperature never gets below 20 degrees in winters & in summers its around 40 degrees plus. 0w20 is too thin in my opinion.

Shell Helix Hx8 5w30 is perfect engine oil for Baleno Petrol. SN is higher rating than SL so SN rated engine oils is better than SL rated engine oils for current gen petrol engines.
Power Freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 08:06   #127
BHPian

Question:
Baleno engine oil sump is 3.1 litre while the synthetic oils are of 3.5 litre. Can 3.5 litre be filled in or it is strictly 3.1. Also should be change the oil filter too ? I serviced the car 1000 kms back. This is just oil change
Old 10th July 2019, 08:22   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Question:
Baleno engine oil sump is 3.1 litre while the synthetic oils are of 3.5 litre. Can 3.5 litre be filled in or it is strictly 3.1. Also should be change the oil filter too ? I serviced the car 1000 kms back. This is just oil change
I would say strictly 3.1L though I am not sure whether you are talking about the petrol or diesel(petrol going by your signature). It does not give you any real advantage of pouring in all the oil just because you have it in the can. Hence, please measure and fill the specified quantity and keep the rest if in case you want to top up sometime later or use it for general lubrication purposes. I have changed the filter whenever I change the oil since the oil filter will have some oil inside it which will mix with the new oil. I dont prefer that especially when I switch between oil types. Hence I had changed it when I switched to synthetic.

Last edited by audioholic : 10th July 2019 at 08:23.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 09:12   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Question:
I think you should give this thread a read

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ngine-oil.html (How harmful is extra Engine Oil?)

Thanks.
NaXal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:01   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Question:
On a NA engine, overfill by upto 10% will not do any damage. But if it is a turbo charged engine then the oil must not be overfilled beyond the specified capacity. Overfilling will put pressure on the oil seals of the turbo and can cause premature turbo failure.

It is OK to have a couple of hundred ml less than overfill. Put in 3 liters or till the oil reaches the top marking in a dipstick and then keep the remaining for topup.
sagarpadaki is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 13:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Some facts I have come to know from my recent search for oils for My Cars including Ciaz. None of the dealers or Genuine spares stockists stock 0w-20 or provide them on order.

1. ECSTAR oils for maruti Suzuki is made by Idemitsu while Ecstar oils for Suzuki Motorcycles is made by Castrol.

2. 0w-16 oils are for the new Ciaz cars only. Do not try them on your cars which are now reverse certified for 0w-20 oils. The 1.5L engine is the new Ciaz is a whole new engine designed to run on 0w-16. Very few cars worldwide run on 0w-16 for now.

3. Many including me ran for these full synthetic oils for our cars. Remember that Full Synthetic oils at cheaper prices are Group III oils with cheaper additive pack. Pure Group IV (PAO) and Group V (ester and other unclassified bases) are still expensive. Shell HX8 is a lower grade than helix ultra, Mobil Maruti is a lower grade than mobil1, Total SMC is a lower grade than Total Quartz 9000 and Idemitsu Maruti is two grades lower than the full synth Zepro. We get what we pay for.

4. Even Shell HX8 0w-20 Maruti certified oil is not the same as Shell Helix hx8 0w-20 regular. Regular HX8 comes with API SN certification while Hx8 maruti certified is a cheaper version and is available as SL base.

5. For those concerned about their engines running on 0w-20 in Indian summers, Do not fret. While there is a chance than your engine NVH might increase, the oils are not going to shear down in our daily runs even in the summer. Infact, summers reach 45-50 degrees in the hottest places while engines HTHS are measured at 150degrees. A 0w-20 oil might most probably provide less protection than a 0w-30 of similar quality, but the effect is going to be so minimal, that your engine will easily outlast the ownership.
devarshi84 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 11:20   #132
BHPian

Hi Devarshi,

Thanks for cautioning BHPians on viscosity grade of engine oils even for the same car but with different version or say Slightly tweaked version of the same engine.

Even I have noticed very clearly the response of Ignis 1.2 petrol engine of mid-2018 make. Even if we put just 10 grade thicker oil, say 5W30 or 10W30, the engine becomes sluggish compared to running on 0w20.

That said, an individual should purchase engine oil off the shelf and carry it to the OEM ASS, because ASS just orders whatever oil is available and at a cheaper rate than the market. They will not bother that you have a 10 year old Swift requiring XW40 grade oil. Their mechanic will simply pour whatever oil is there in their drum, whether its W20 or W30. So be specific about putting self procured oil without fail.

Also, I would like to advice against changing the oil grades or even oil brand in between the life cycle of your engines. All the parts set in according to viscosity and lubrication characteristic of a particular oil brand. If you change the oil grade in between, then the adjacent engine parts have to realign the contacting surfaces, resulting in friction during the mating process.

In practical life, recommend as follows :-

For high mileage vehicles, you can reduce the grade by 10, just once after say 40k to 50K kms if you want to keep the vehicle for 20-30K kms more and want to sell that off. If you do not want to sell off the vehicle do not change the viscosity.

For even older vehicles, with say 60k 70K kms on the odo, do not reduce the viscosity, because it has a washing and draining off effect on carbon residue acting as a packing and lubricant layer between engine parts around the combustion chamber valve faces, seats, various rings, piston face, thus further lowering the compression in the cylinders and thus the power of your engine.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Some facts I have come to know from my recent search for oils for My Cars including Ciaz. None of the dealers or Genuine spares stockists stock 0w-20 or provide them on order.

1. ECSTAR oils for maruti Suzuki is made by Idemitsu while Ecstar oils for Suzuki Motorcycles is made by Castrol.

2. 0w-16 oils are for the new Ciaz cars only. Do not try them on your cars which are now reverse certified for 0w-20 oils. The 1.5L engine is the new Ciaz is a whole new engine designed to run on 0w-16. Very few cars worldwide run on 0w-16 for now.

3. Many including me ran for these full synthetic oils for our cars. Remember that Full Synthetic oils at cheaper prices are Group III oils with cheaper additive pack. Pure Group IV (PAO) and Group V (ester and other unclassified bases) are still expensive. Shell HX8 is a lower grade than helix ultra, Mobil Maruti is a lower grade than mobil1, Total SMC is a lower grade than Total Quartz 9000 and Idemitsu Maruti is two grades lower than the full synth Zepro. We get what we pay for.

4. Even Shell HX8 0w-20 Maruti certified oil is not the same as Shell Helix hx8 0w-20 regular. Regular HX8 comes with API SN certification while Hx8 maruti certified is a cheaper version and is available as SL base.

5. For those concerned about their engines running on 0w-20 in Indian summers, Do not fret. While there is a chance than your engine NVH might increase, the oils are not going to shear down in our daily runs even in the summer. Infact, summers reach 45-50 degrees in the hottest places while engines HTHS are measured at 150degrees. A 0w-20 oil might most probably provide less protection than a 0w-30 of similar quality, but the effect is going to be so minimal, that your engine will easily outlast the ownership.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th February 2021 at 06:08. Reason: Formatting
Old 24th August 2019, 12:12   #133
BHPian

My 2011 Figo 1.4 TDCI is due for oil change. Till now I have been doing it from Ford service center. This time I am planning to do it outside. Required quantity is 3.8 liters. Can I use Amsoil 1 gallon (3.78 liter). Is it okay to ignore the 0.02 difference

AMSOIL By Greaves Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40 AMSOIL https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076F44T5Q/..._fDnyDbGTTCQ8Z
Old 24th August 2019, 19:23   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICHE View Post
My 2011 Figo 1.4 TDCI is due for oil change. Till now I have been doing it from Ford service center. This time I am planning to do it outside. Required quantity is 3.8 liters. Can I use Amsoil 1 gallon (3.78 liter). Is it okay to ignore the 0.02 difference

AMSOIL By Greaves Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W-40 AMSOIL https://www.amazon.in/dp/B076F44T5Q/..._fDnyDbGTTCQ8Z

HI Niche

ya that amounts to 20ml. That is a miniscule amount.
You can go ahead and use 3.78 litre pack available to you .

Thanks
Lightning2 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 20:41   #135
BHPian

I've read this thread multiple times but I am confused about which engine oil to order for my four-year-old Swift ZXi. The car was with my dad until this year and has done only 15k km so far, with around 8k added since I took over. I use it for long drives over the weekend and sometimes to go to office (25-km round trip).

I called the service centre that I go to every time -- Vitesse Andheri West in Mumbai -- and I was first greeted with, "Why do you want to purchase such an expensive engine oil sir?". I asked them to connect me with their store and found out that they only have Castrol and Servo synthetic oil at Rs. 4,200 and Rs. 3,700 respectively. Based on the responses in this thread I've concluded that these two are not worth the money.

Can someone please suggest a good fully synthetic oil? I found Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 on Amazon (https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-55...dp/B00QK6PXPK/) but I am not sure if this is the best one for my car. Any suggestions on how to source the recommended oil will also help.

The employee who answered my call said they will not use the engine oil I purchase and get to the service centre, so any suggestions to get around this are also appreciated.

Most Viewed