Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2007, 18:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

What about premium fuels like Shell premium, indianoil Xtra, HP power etc?
They too supposedly contain additives, will the premium fuels have the same effect (if any) on the performance as of the additives?
Old 7th September 2007, 20:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Will the premium fuels have the same effect (if any) on the performance as of the additives?
Premium fuels have the same effect as with normal fuel with additives. For the track days, i use high octane fuel like IOC Xtra premium (91 oct with additives) or speed 93. Used speed 97 once though. The difference was noticeable. The engine felt smoother and i got better mileage.

But most of the time, we get cheated. Not all bunks sell good quality fuel. I doubt if they are premium in the first place forget the additives even. Makes more sense for me to add the additives myself.
Old 7th September 2007, 22:13   #48
BHPian

additives

there are many additives some are added for cleening,some are added as detergents who keep the detsched grime suspended,some are octane boosters< generally< MMT>,some are ocatane stabilizers who slows the process of oxydation in storage,some release oxygen when heated like <MTBE>or simply they tetra ethyl lead .. the banned substence .
no one knows what the company adds and in what concentration .
no company tells u the contents and no one tells the mechanism which can have some scientific basis .
try using .78 to 2 ml acetone 1 ml best possible 2 t oil +2 ml xylene . they give great results.
acetone is used upto 10% as fuel in racing fuel .
xylene is used in racing <ron@117-118
tolule<RESEARCH OCTANE NUMBER 120-124-(HIGHEST IN AUTOMOTIVE FUELS> is used in formula 1 racing as prefered fuel till the regulations changed -fuel up to 86%and remaining 14%n-heptane
Old 10th September 2007, 00:54   #49
BHPian

What I understood by word ADDITIVE is ADDItion with moTIVE.As rightly said by Sam every additive have different aspect of functioning.It may be improving combustion,efficiency,power,torque and reducing emission,friction,carbon and so on.A single additive can pass on many benefits.Most of additives work by changing chemical properties of the base fuel to extract disired benefits.most of us can not feel the desired result as it works in a gradual manner and effect is not so huge like any mechanical modification but they work.Now if we have few number of additives which are working in improving different aspect of engine,they collectively pass on more benefits which many times is more then 20 to 30%.it seems unbeleivable but it happens.My thinking and approach was in similar fashion & I think its working well.

Acetone improves combustion aspect.Xylenes increases octane rating.2T imparts lubricity to fuel particles.All these collectively make an efficient addition without harming engine if added in right proportion.
Old 10th September 2007, 19:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

That was a good explanation turbosam. Any idea what SystemG, Sonax etc all are comprised of? It only mentiones injector/carb cleaner but doesnt mention what it actually is comprised of (like x% of "y" product).
Old 7th May 2008, 12:14   #51
BHPian

I own a 2007 Fiesta 1.4 (Petrol).I tried Speed once and the car returned only 9 kmpl (city driving).I tried Shell Super Unleaded and the mileage has never gone down below 11.5(city driving).The current price of Shell id Rs.59.60 (has gone up twice in April)-Should I stick with using Shell or switch to Normal Unleaded with Iftex SystemG(as recommended by the dealer when i took delivery of the car) ? Please advice.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

System G is meant only to be used with Normal petrol not with Premium petrol.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

I am using System D since last 6-8K km on my Swift D and the performance and the FE has increased with the usage. Now I am getting close to 20 KMPL with City+Highway and minimal use of AC. System D is way to go. I highly recommend it for Swift D.
Old 7th May 2008, 12:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
This is correct. The Ford Fiesta manual recommends use of System G with normal unleaded fuel of 91 octane, not premium petrol. Shell normal and IOC normal are 91 Octane fuels. I've never used premium fuel on my Fiesta so far, but my mileage is always 11 to 12 in Hyd.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Off late I have been tanking up on IOC Xtrapremium. I haven't used SystemG in a while but i feel the injectors and the TB is slightly blocked due to bad quality fuel (knocking was present temporarily which has disappeared). There is a slight jerk present between 1k and 1.5k RPM. Got to buy a can of injector cleaner soon.

IMO there is no harm using this additive with premium fuels but the frequency can be based on the quality of fuel being filled.

For shell fuels (even regular octane when it was available) I haven't used SystemG as their fuel quality is unmatched by others.

@vnabhi - IIRC shell normal or regular unleaded is no longer available. IOC Xtrapremium is 91 Octane. The regular unleaded fuel from IOC is 87 octane or 89 octane IIRC. Someone else can confirm this.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th May 2008 at 13:04.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
@vnabhi - IIRC shell normal or regular unleaded is no longer available. IOC Xtrapremium is 91 Octane. The regular unleaded fuel from IOC is 87 octane or 89 octane IIRC. Someone else can confirm this.
I'd asked this question a year back on this forum, and many members confirmed that IOC normal unleaded fuel is 91 Octane.
Where did you get these figures from?
Old 7th May 2008, 13:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe View Post
I own a 2007 Fiesta 1.4 (Petrol).I tried Speed once and the car returned only 9 kmpl (city driving).I tried Shell Super Unleaded and the mileage has never gone down below 11.5(city driving).The current price of Shell id Rs.59.60 (has gone up twice in April)-Should I stick with using Shell or switch to Normal Unleaded with Iftex SystemG(as recommended by the dealer when i took delivery of the car) ? Please advice.
Bro, I would suggest normal unleaded + system G . Been using it for 3 years in my ikon and it is a real good combination
Old 7th May 2008, 13:18   #58
BHPian

System D in Safari

I have been using this concoction for the past year and have noticed considerable reduction in black smoke from my safari. The black smoke also goes up whenever I do not use it. The quality of diesel also varies widely from one dealer to the other. I have not noticed differences in pick-up or mileage with the use of this System D. It is recommended by Tata and sold in all dealerships.
wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2008, 15:15   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Bro, I would suggest normal unleaded + system G . Been using it for 3 years in my ikon and it is a real good combination
By normal unleaded petrol you mean - not "Speed" or "Power" or "XtraPremium" right..Just want to double check.Thanks.
Old 7th May 2008, 15:18   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe View Post
By normal unleaded petrol you mean - not "Speed" or "Power" or "XtraPremium" right..Just want to double check.Thanks.
Yup, I'm sure that is what he meant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks