Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2017, 16:33   #781
BHPian

Re: The Fuel Additives Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Question to Bangalore residents. The HP fuel pump on old airport road near Manipal hospital is where I fill my fuel regularly. Would any of you know if they stock system D or any other diesel additive?
That is a company owned bunk(not dealer operated). Highly improbable that they would stock anything else. Better buy online from flipkart or amazon.
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 11:05   #782
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a bottle (354 ml) of ABRO fuel injector cleaner and plan to dump the whole thing into the tank of my WagonR during the next tankful. I will be starting a 1100+ km one way trip the very next day. Is it okay/safe to use the cleaner during the trip?
Old 29th May 2017, 15:13   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I got a bottle (354 ml) of ABRO fuel injector cleaner and plan to dump the whole thing into the tank of my WagonR during the next tankful. I will be starting a 1100+ km one way trip the very next day. Is it okay/safe to use the cleaner during the trip?
I guess it is okay. I have used diesel one couple of weeks back in a similar way. No problems faced. I dumped a full ABRO and filled the tank full diesel, at the start of trip, and continued the journey. Didn't leave overnight. (just to give my use case clearly)
sriturl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2017, 15:23   #784
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Maruti S-Cross 1.6L Alpha - Pearl Arctic White

I was against using diesel additives and never bothered to try it. But, few of my friends had given good feedback about Liqui Moly diesel additives. Finally, I decided to try it out and ordered from Amazon India. I used the entire bottle (250 ml) with full tank of Shell diesel.

I drove for around 60 KM to check the results. As per my analysis..

1. Engine was little smoother

2. No difference in acceleration : tested both 0-100 and in gear timing

The product claims improvement in acceleration under partial load and I couldn't see any improvement even here.

Would I buy this again ?

Never!!

The Fuel Additives Thread-img_20170530_151533.jpg

The Fuel Additives Thread-img_20170530_151517.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 30th May 2017 at 20:14. Reason: Removing dead attachment links
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 18:56   #785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post

The product claims improvement in acceleration under partial load and I couldn't see any improvement even here.
Firstly, please do not expect immediate results on acceleration and smoothness as soon as the cleaner is added. The difference is usually felt after 2 - 3 tank fulls.

Secondly, if there is no difference in the performance, it would also mean that the system is already working fine so you are already at peak cleanliness and performance levels on the injectors and fuel systems. This can happen when the car is relatively new and fuel is filled only at good pumps.

Thirdly, if I remember correctly, Maruti recommends Bardahl as a fuel additive for most of their engines. Please have this checked - if so this would be the better option.

Fourthly, using diesel additives in fuel systems that recommend their usage is not to improve performance but to keep the fuel system in a healthy condition.

Hope this helps. Cheers
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 19:30   #786
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Firstly, please do not expect immediate results on acceleration and smoothness as soon as the cleaner is added. The difference is usually felt after 2 - 3 tank fulls.
The product which I have used : Liqui moly speedtec diesel additive doesn't claim to clean injectors / remove carbon deposits like other additives. The product claims only better combustion and faster acceleration. I have driven around 250 KM and there is no difference at all. There is another diesel additive from Liqui Moly which claims to clean injectors, remove carbon deposits etc. I have not tried that one.
Old 31st May 2017, 19:35   #787
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is another diesel additive from Liqui Moly which claims to clean injectors, remove carbon deposits etc. I have not tried that one.
I'm trying this one currently. However, too early to form a clear opinion on its benefits. I am not looking for any performance benefits, and would be happy if I get to feel my old engine working a bit smoother / quieter.

The Fuel Additives Thread-img_20170529_212620.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st May 2017 at 19:37.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 19:40   #788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I'm trying this one currently. However, too early to form a clear opinion on its benefits. I am not looking for any performance benefits, and would be happy if I get to feel my old engine working a bit smoother / quieter.
I will try this in my SX4 or Grand I10. S-Cross has run only 20K km and I did not want an injector cleaner. Hence, tried the other additive

Do let us know your feedback, May be after one tankfull
Old 31st May 2017, 20:36   #789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The product which I have used : Liqui moly speedtec diesel additive doesn't claim to clean injectors
This is from their site on what it does:

- improves the acceleration
- contains no organometallic compounds
- reduces frictional losses
- cleans the injection system
- better drivability
- suitable for diesel particulate filters
- tested for catalytic converters
- higher performance gain
- does not influence the cetane number
UNQUOTE

So it does clean the injection system.

It is supposed to help under partial load only. (not flat out acceleration)

Most additives mainly help in cleaning the fuel system and very marginally increase performance in engines that need a bit of cleaning although Speedtec claims to increase flame speed thereby allowing fuel to burn faster - not something that works in all cars.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 31st May 2017 at 20:40.
Old 31st May 2017, 20:54   #790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
This is from their site on what it does:
cleans the injection system
Can you post the link? Which website? I had checked Amazon India and Liqui Moly official website about this product. They have not mentioned anything about injector cleaning property for Speedtec diesel additive. But they have mentioned injector cleaning property for the other product which is being used by CrAzY dRiVeR.

https://products.liqui-moly.com/speed-tec-diesel-3.html

http://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Spee.../dp/B00295I3NU
Old 31st May 2017, 21:09   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you post the link?
Here you go:

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000...el-10.0-en.pdf
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 15:48   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Liqui Moly Petrol Injector cleaner And Diesel System Cleaner

The car in subject is a 15 year old Maruti Zen G10B done 1.5 Lakh kms. It was having erratic idling and jerky power delivery. Since Liqui Moly is well respected brand i ordered 2 cans of their petrol injector cleaner and mixed one can with a tankful of normal petrol . The improvement began to show within 100 kms of driving.By the end of the tankful,engine response became peppy, power delivery smooth and the erratic idling was reduced by 70%! That is a substantial improvement.

Buoyed by the improvement, i ordered a can of Liqui Moly Diesel system cleaner for our i20 CRDI that just crossed 1 Lakh on the ODO. However, the additive made just a marginal difference to the engine behavior. The engine felt a bit smoother. No change in power delivery or throttle response.

A couple of days ago,i filled up the remaining 1 can of the petrol injector cleaner in the zen with a tank full of petrol. This was after a gap of 4000 kms after the first can was used. And the difference was immediate within 10 kms of driving. Much smoother engine, Revvs smoothly beyond 80 kmph whereas without additive the engine would start to groan. The engine noise reduced. Overall a positive improvement.

I am not sure if the petrol injector is more potent than their diesel; or was it because the Zen was badly maintained and the i20 was obsessively maintained. Bottom line, these additives work well and make a difference if the engine condition is pretty bad. On a healthy well maintained engine, they do not make much of a difference apart from a marginal increase in smoothness.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 11:29   #793
BHPian

Re: Liqui Moly Petrol Injector cleaner And Diesel System Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am not sure if the petrol injector is more potent than their diesel; or was it because the Zen was badly maintained and the i20 was obsessively maintained.
There is one more thing you need to take care or note of. Usually, cars drive smoother just after full tank. As time goes by, you will start seeing sluggishness returning.

This phenomenon is much prominent in motorcycles.

Is it because of vapour to volume ratio of fuel, air fuel mixture in tank or any other contributing phenomenon, I am searching for answers myself.

Generally speaking the Fuel Additives effectiveness is actually seen in the long run when your mileage, engine noise and RPM show the proof. Petrols always show better response than Diesel due to the obvious lower detonation temperature required.

Check in long run and see how they fare.
Old 9th June 2017, 09:27   #794
BHPian

My experience with liqui moly diesel additive has also been kind of just ok.I used it in my sx4 done about 88k kilometres,have no idea if the previous owner used any.
I did find the engine noise quieten a lil bit and the pull to be marginally better but i expected a lot more,more like how clean my zen pulls with system g.
i am now thinking of using abro diesel additive and am wondering if any of you have seen any good results with the same.
Old 9th June 2017, 14:00   #795
BHPian

If a fuel system cleaner didn't meet expectations, it might mean the following:
- the fuel system couldn't clean any better because of limitations on how strong it can be.

- the fuel system wasn't very dirty so the effect of the cleaner is minimal.

- the cleaner did a good job but other parts such as the fuel pump are weak or the engine is itself weak due to age.

- the fuel is still contaminated.

So the best results can be expected in a vehicle whose engine and fuel system are in good condition, although not necessarily new, but has been run regularly on low quality fuel in the past. This means that you shouldn't expect miraculous improvements in engine performance.

I think the best strategy is to use a fuel system cleaner on a regular basis such as twice a year or at small doses all the time, such as 1ml/litre of fuel.

Last edited by Motard_Blr : 9th June 2017 at 14:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks