Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 11:25   #826

Re: The Fuel Additives Thread

Hello Everyone,

I have a 650 kms (one way) drive planned, mid December, I have read quite a few posts about Liqui Moly Diesel Additive. I have ordered a 250 ML bottle of "Liqui Moly Speed Tec Diesel Additive" from Amazon today and plan to use it before the trip starts. Vehicle is 3 year old XUV 5OO which is done around 30K kms till today (yes it run low comparitively!). I am contemplating of pouring the entire bottle for 70 Ltrs of fuel. Hope this would be ok!
Old 5th December 2017, 18:04   #827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damore View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have a 650 kms (one way) drive planned, mid December, I have read quite a few posts about Liqui Moly Diesel Additive. I have ordered a 250 ML bottle of "Liqui Moly Speed Tec Diesel Additive" from Amazon today and plan to use it before the trip starts. Vehicle is 3 year old XUV 5OO which is done around 30K kms till today (yes it run low comparitively!). I am contemplating of pouring the entire bottle for 70 Ltrs of fuel. Hope this would be ok!
You could add it when you top up the tank before your trip. One more thing you could do is an Italian tune up. Drive at high rpm close to the redline on an empty stretch for a KM or so
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 10:47   #828
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
One more thing you could do is an Italian tune up. Drive at high rpm close to the redline on an empty stretch for a KM or so
I like the term Italian Tune up. Things are not as bad as they used to be. As a student in the UK, 1973-76 whenever I went on the Motorway after pottering about town for a fortnight or so, when I opened the throttle the car would hiccup once or twice, before clearing up. Was it the lead deposits from the fuel?
Old 6th December 2017, 11:00   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Just added a bottle of STP injector cleaner to a tank nearly full of fuel. Treats 50-60L but I reckon the car had about 45 litres in it. That should help clean the injectors on my trip next week. I use STP every year or 5K kms whichever occurs first.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 15:46   #830
Senior - BHPian

Used 350ml of ABRO DT-508 Fuel Treatment on a full tank on my Aspire diesel.

It has been just 25 kms and initial impressions are good. The idling clatter of the engine has reduced quite a bit. The engine note while on the move is a bit muted now as well. The full effect will be known on the highway. I was using Shell V-Power on highway trips and it made a similar difference, but on the last trip it did not work, so decided to try this.
As per smoothness, the engine is just crossed 7k kms, so I couldn't make out any major difference in smoothness apart from the idling.
Old 8th December 2017, 18:32   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I like the term Italian Tune up. Things are not as bad as they used to be. As a student in the UK, 1973-76 whenever I went on the Motorway after pottering about town for a fortnight or so, when I opened the throttle the car would hiccup once or twice, before clearing up. Was it the lead deposits from the fuel?
Italian Tune Up is one of the many new things I have learned after becoming a TBHP Member !
The hiccup and blockages is most likely due to carbon deposits.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:05   #832
BHPian

Well i have used both liqui moly diesel additive and system d.
I can compare them and i would say liqui moly did nothing to my sx4 ddis, it just made my engine noisy and the car would feel strained.

Then on suggestion of bhpian anurag, i tried system d and it did make quite a difference to my car.The car pulls cleaner and since then am using it regularly.Almost three tank fulls and i plan to continue using it regularly.
Old 9th December 2017, 10:17   #833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
.The car pulls cleaner and since then am using it regularly.Almost three tank fulls and i plan to continue using it regularly.
Like @SGIITK has said and I think so too - after initial use, you can switch to alternate tank-fulls or wider ( 1 in 3 ). This is because the system would have attained a level of cleaning and after that it just needs to be maintained that way.
Old 11th December 2017, 15:28   #834
Senior - BHPian

I was a bit skeptic about these fuel additives but a recent experience has changed my opinion.
I was out of country for a month and my bike was not used for almost a 1.5 months. I remember the last time I had filled her up at an Indian oil pump. So after almost 50 days I took my bike out (its a fuel injected bike) and it started off well just to start dying when the rpms would fall below 1700 rpms. It was having hiccups intermittently, as if the fuel lines are clogged and the cylinder is not getting enough fuel for combustion.
I reached the office keeping the throttle above 3000 rpms at all time. While leaving office I put two sachets of ADON P at an Indian oil bunk and started off. The bike's behavior improved, it became a lot smoother (as expected) and the hesitation on throttling was gone too. I rode the bike after emptying the tank and filling normal petrol again after a gap of 15 days and there was no hesitation this time around.
So in my opinion, I feel the additives do play some role in cleaning the fuel system and dissolving the gunk that forms when the engine is not working for a long time. It might also be due to the fact that my bike has been sparingly used and its almost 7 years now, with no fuel injector / pump cleaning done.
Old 18th December 2017, 19:57   #835

1. So it would be ok if I add Liqui Moly in the tank before refueling the tank to the auto cut off and keep it overnight? OR Should I do this entire thing only in the morning?

2. Is it necessary to use up the entire fuel in which I have added the diesel additive in one go itself or can it be used as per the usage?

3. 250ml of Liqui Moly = 70 Ltrs of fuel, is that an ok composition? what is the ideal?
Old 18th December 2017, 20:29   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damore View Post
1. So it would be ok if I add Liqui Moly in the tank before refueling the tank to the auto cut off and keep it overnight? OR Should I do this entire thing only in the morning?

2. Is it necessary to use up the entire fuel in which I have added the diesel additive in one go itself or can it be used as per the usage?

3. 250ml of Liqui Moly = 70 Ltrs of fuel, is that an ok composition? what is the ideal?
As liquids will behave:

1) Ok to fill the additive - but do it immediately before filling fuel.
2) Fuel after Additive will help mixing inside tank.
3) Fill as per recommendation. Typically One bottle for 50 litres unless mentioned. ( Because fuel tank sizes can vary)
4) Ok to leave it overnight
5) Not necessary to use up all the mixed fuel. Just that the mixed fuel will do it's work while the mix is sufficiently concentrated. If at any point you add more fuel, the concentration will drop at that point.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:02   #837

Hi, Used 250 ml of Liquid Moli for 70 ltd tank. No major visible difference performance wise except one. I was facing a bit of knocking/shuddering while on 1st or 2nd gear which is now gone. This is use to happen only with heavy clutch usage in bumper-to-bumper traffic for continuous 15-20 mins. After completing one tank full of Liquid Moli, I am yet to face this and I have been in such traffic situations latest twice. Though not sure what was the exact reason for this going away.
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:13   #838
Senior - BHPian

Where is system G available in Bangalore? I stay in Marathahalli and do not find it in petrol pumps nearby.
Old 3rd January 2018, 16:46   #839
Senior - BHPian

Check BP pumps. I used to buy from the BP pump in Residency road, but that was few years ago.
Old 3rd January 2018, 18:27   #840

Amazon has it now. Ordered one 2 days back but yet to reach

Most Viewed