Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2018, 22:41   #901
BHPian

Re: The Fuel Additives Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
Hi Sumzup! I'm planning to add a good diesel additive to my Rapid 1.6TDI after witnessing an injector failure recently. Thanks to extended warranty else that would've burnt a hole in my pocket.

Tried to procure Stanadyne but in vain. Now I'm left with two options Liqui Moly and System-D.

I see that you've been using Liqui Moly for a while. Can you please help me choose the right one for my car? Super Diesel Additive or Speed Tec?
Hey Pferdestarke, sorry for delay in messaging. IMHO, I found the speed tec to be a better additive than the super diesel. I did come up with my own formula and that was to add speed tec first and after driving 5k kms used super diesel (although, you could use it at a interval of 2000 km to begin with). Again, my personal experience has been better with speed tec and no doubts there so please go ahead and alternate. As you have already ordered super diesel, you could order the other one as well and use the speed tec first. Well again, I repeat, its my opinion and you could act accordingly as per your own call.

Last edited by sumzup : 26th December 2018 at 22:45. Reason: error in information
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 07:30   #902
Senior - BHPian

Can these additives be used in a petrol automatic? My Xcent sxo is at 30000 km and I have some long trips planned.
No major symptoms in the car - slightly noisier engine than when bought and feels a little stained when 5 passengers with luggage are in it.
Considering getting Liqui Moly LMFIC from Amazon.
Old 27th December 2018, 14:33   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Can these additives be used in a petrol automatic? My Xcent sxo is at 30000 km and I have some long trips planned.
No major symptoms in the car - slightly noisier engine than when bought and feels a little stained when 5 passengers with luggage are in it.
Of course they can be used, but make sure you are buying a product meant for petrol cars (can get confused). The Liqui Moly product you are looking into, is a good purchase, i used it this October and could feel the car becoming a bit more spirited. You won't observe a night and day difference, but will help in the long run in maintaining the vehicles health. This is what i do -

Drive till the fuel gauge shows almost empty. Go to the bunk and just before filling up a 'full tank', i pour the fuel injector cleaner (entire bottle). And i try not to fill up in between and wait till the fuel goes near empty, to fill up again with petrol.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 15:28   #904
Senior - BHPian

At the risk of being called an extreme novice, what is the difference between adding the additive and then filling up and adding it to the existing fuel in the correct ratio. Is it the physical activity of filling that ensures good mixing?
I can understand the need to run it till near empty to keep the ratio optimal for the longest.
Old 27th December 2018, 23:45   #905
BHPian

Quote:
At the risk of being called an extreme novice, what is the difference between adding the additive and then filling up and adding it to the existing fuel in the correct ratio. Is it the physical activity of filling that ensures good mixing?
I can understand the need to run it till near empty to keep the ratio optimal for the longest.
I am no expert either, but i guess you have answered your own question. The additive might mix well, even after you pour it in an already filled tank. But since the quantity of the additive is very less, the additive on the walls of the filler pipe leading down into the tank, also gets washed down by the petrol, when petrol is put in after the additive. But i am sure it has more to do with better mixing.

Last edited by Rohit_Quad : 27th December 2018 at 23:46.
Rohit_Quad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2018, 11:34   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Benji, both of what you have said is ok but in the former scenario if you have low fuel in your tank and do not add the fuel before long then the additive will get used up far more than what is recommended. As you have said, it is the optimal ratio to be maintained that would change which again is more skewed towards economics than functionality. Having said that, there would be no harm if you use more additive first time around and that would improve the performance. IMHO, the rationale behind the ratio would be more of stretching the additive's performance on the injectors in proportion to the cost of the additive.
sumzup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2019, 15:07   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Used Abro injector cleaner ( about 300 Rupees a bottle) in my Brio AT while driving down to Nasik from Pune via Bombay the other weekend. Found a noticeable difference in engine refinement even though the Brio AT is a very smooth car. Found some benefits of it on the fuel economy side too.
Used it in my Suzuki Scooter and it did reduce a bit of the engine noise. I have tried using Iftex and Adon earlier made by Indian oil but they didn't do much.
On my scooter, as I have found out by opening up my scooter's engine head, a lot of ash and gum deposits had built up even though the scooter has run just 13k kms. and has always been fed with good quality gasoline. These deposits were seen almost everywhere near the valve seats and the combustion chamber itself. This probably might have been increasing the compression ratio above the piston which lead to knocking (most commuter scooter engines are not very high-compression and are anyways lean tuned from factory for tail-pipe emissions) and a generally rough-idling and running engine.
Upon asking some Honda and Suzuki service centers, most of the technicians working on rebuilding scooter engines had similar experiences after opening up engines under 25k kms.
I haven't removed the deposits in my scooters engine yet and will use the fuel additive over the next few tank-ups and then see what it does to the internals.

Last edited by Crankpin : 9th January 2019 at 15:16.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 21:40   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
I did come up with my own formula and that was to add speed tec first and after driving 5k kms used super diesel.
Used Liqui Moly Super Diesel additive as I couldn't get the Speed Tec one and I could feel the difference after driving the car for 200 kms.

The engine feels more responsive, refinement has improved by a fair bit and I could see a little improvement in FE too.

I have clocked 500 kms after adding the additive and I'll try keep up the habit of using it once every 5000 kms.

Any pointers on how to procure the Liqui Moly additives offline would be a great help!

Last edited by Pferdestarke : 15th January 2019 at 21:43. Reason: Formatting
Pferdestarke is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 11:52   #909
BHPian

Does anyone have any experience using LM super diesel on their 1.6 Hyundai CRDi engines?
Was planning to use a can on my Creta, as I have a couple of extra cans lying with me.
What I wanted to know was, whether it is safe to use fuel additives in the new gen common-rail engines, like my Creta 1.6D.

Thanks in advance, and cheers!!
Old 16th January 2019, 15:01   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Used Liqui Moly Super Diesel additive as I couldn't get the Speed Tec one and I could feel the difference after driving the car for 200 kms.

The engine feels more responsive, refinement has improved by a fair bit and I could see a little improvement in FE too.

I have clocked 500 kms after adding the additive and I'll try keep up the habit of using it once every 5000 kms.

Any pointers on how to procure the Liqui Moly additives offline would be a great help!
Hi Pferdestarke, please contact the below and you could know where to procure the product locally.
ANSYSCO ANAND
Plot no. 19E/19F/19G, Sector-2
Parwanoo, Himachal Pradesh -173220,
India
Tel: 91- 011- 6564542
Email: liquimoly@anandgroupindia.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Does anyone have any experience using LM super diesel on their 1.6 Hyundai CRDi engines?
Was planning to use a can on my Creta, as I have a couple of extra cans lying with me.
What I wanted to know was, whether it is safe to use fuel additives in the new gen common-rail engines, like my Creta 1.6D.

Thanks in advance, and cheers!!
Hi Turrrbo,
All CRDI engines are quite modern and sophisticated but the additives work predominantly on the fuel injectors and related supply areas so it should not be a cause of concern. It is completely safe to use the additives in these engines as I've been using them in my Skoda Yeti too. Hope it helps. Cheers
sumzup is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 17:28   #911
BHPian

I have been using the STP Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner on my 30k kms old Toyota Etios Liva diesel for over a month now. Did a full tank, popped the whole bottle in and for sure there has been a 10-15% improvement in performance. The engine also feels a little more free, esp in-gear acceleration. The distributor said you shall notice a difference only after 2-3 bottles. So eager to see what my mileage comes up to this month.

Simultaneously on my brother's petrol Honda City using the Complete Fuel System cleaner and Water Remover. Performance has for sure become a little sprightly & feels more eager. Awaiting mileage report on the same. Both cars do city runs.

Had never used additives before but the folks distributing STP ie Sanjivbhai & Gospi of Creative International are great and for sure looks like a super product. Not sure how it stacks up against Liqui-Moly but for the money, it is worth it. If you need or have any query regd any STP/Armorall/Rainx/Xtrabond(Car covers) let me know.

Drive safe!

Last edited by coolmel : 6th February 2019 at 17:33.
Old 6th February 2019, 22:41   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
If you need or have any query regd any STP/Armorall/Rainx/Xtrabond(Car covers) let me know.
Just in time mate! I'm actually trying to procure Rain-X headlight restoration kit, which unfortunately is not available with most e-retailers. Can you please help me find one?
Old 7th February 2019, 10:28   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Just in time mate! I'm actually trying to procure Rain-X headlight restoration kit, which unfortunately is not available with most e-retailers. Can you please help me find one?
For sure. Sending a message. Over to the inbox.
Old 15th February 2019, 11:25   #914
BHPian

I am on my second bottle of the STP Super Concentrated injector cleaner & added the Diesel Oil Treatment as well. On doing a tankful the mileage came to roughly 14kpl. Which is exactly how much I used to get earlier. However the difference being the improved in gear acceleration, smoothness & more eagerness. I'd say almost 15% improvement in the same. Matter of fact 14kpl is mileage I have been having in Mumbai traffic.

Let's see how this goes.

Cheers!
Old 15th February 2019, 11:34   #915
BANNED

May I chip in my tuppence worth. Given our roads whether you add before or after filling hardly matters. The fuel + additive will be 'shaken' into good homogeneity in no time. After 5km it will not matter any more.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed