Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2017, 16:42   #1
BHPian

Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Related Thread - Link (Niggles & issues with the Toyota Innova Crysta)

Sorry all,
I was not able to post the pictures of our new crysta. We took its delivery on 22 May. Here is a picture of me and my father taking the delivery:
Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?-delivery.jpg

I am very disappointed with the quality Toyota has started to provide. Today during a heavy rain this happened

See the water filled ambient lighning panel in the picture below:
Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?-whatsapp-image-20170601-3.33.48-pm.jpeg

After paying 25 big ones! on a vehicle I expect a water leak. Even the Padminis and Ambassadors did not suffer from such problems and when I reach the service center for some support from them, they say we will keep the car and you can take a cab home or you can take the car with the problem still there. (Our home is 150 km away from the service centre.).

When we ask them what the real peoblem is, they just say that we have contacted TKM Bidai and are waiting for further instructions, they say that air could have trapped in the windshield sealant when the car was being manufactured but this never happend in any other cars.

If this is what Toyota is doing in Quality Control then our next car would surely be a Hexa.

EDIT: Resolution post from 11th June 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
I am very sorry, I could not keep you updated for the last few days as I was busy.

In the last few days I was full of regret. I want to take back every single word, I spoke about Toyota's ignorance to the issue, I want to make it the Dealer's ignorance (Sunny Toyota).

After an e-mail to the higher-ups at TKM. I was called the next day by a person from Toyota. He asked me if I could send the vehicle to toyota again for thorough investigation in presence of a representative from TKM. The issue was resolved from the dealer's side by then but they said it would be a thorough investigation about how and why did the issue occur and if it was properly resolved or not.

I was explained the whole issue as follows:

The car passed the shower test and a pressure wash before delivery but after a few kilometers running, the sealant overshrinked due to some unknown reason and this led to the leak.

They apologized for the delay and inconvenience caused. They even paid me for the fuel which was used for the repeated trips to the service center.

The service staff also messed up while replacing the windshield, there were a few black spots on the bonnet which were removed right away when the TKM representative pointed out.

The GM Customer Service, who misbehaved with me during the whole incident came to my home (150 kms away from the service center) with a nice bouquet and sweets just to apologize. He is threatened that he would be fired if I am still not satisfied. He is also alleged that because of his bad behaviour, I uploaded the video and he would be fired if I do not remove the video as his MD thinks that it was uploaded because of his bad behaviour in the first place.

Last edited by GTO : 16th June 2017 at 17:28. Reason: Adding your latest update to the opening post
Shreyas Agarwal is online now   (79) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
When we ask them what the real peoblem is, they just say that we have contacted TKM Bidai and are waiting for further instructions, they say that air could have trapped in the windshield sealant when the car was being manufactured but this never happend in any other cars.

All cars undergo a shower test after manufacturing. This should have been caught there!
amalji is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 19:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I am very disappointed with the quality Toyota has started to provide. Today during a heavy rain this happened...
After coming across numerous Crystas during our weekend drive, I told my friend "It's raining Crystas" but didn't expect Toyota to live upto that statement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
All cars undergo a shower test after manufacturing. This should have been caught there!
True - this is not something inconspicuous, so would pass off in the shower test!
swiftnfurious is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 1st June 2017, 22:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

I'm curious why so many all new Innovas are already on the second hand market in less than a year. A quick Mumbai search also showed as many as 8 innovas for sale. This was never the case with the old Innova.
Axe77 is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:15   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am very disappointed with the quality Toyota has started to provide. Today during a heavy rain this happened
Did your Crysta have a windshield replacement? If not, then I am surprised that this went unnoticed, as this would have got wet even with a wash.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:42   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Shreyas, sorry to see that. Moving your post to a new thread.

Toyota's dealers are good, so your problem should be sorted soon. I have no concerns there. But my bigger worry is, I've never seen these kind of threads or posts on the older Innova. Here's the other niggles thread on the Innova Crysta - link.

On the one hand, Toyota raises the Innova's prices to incredibly high levels. On the other, reliability - which is the Innova's biggest selling point - has suffered?

Toyota cannot afford to take its eye off the ball. So damn careless. We've seen the same lapses with Honda, another stalwart of reliability.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2017 at 12:46.
GTO is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:53   #7
BHPian

re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Seriously what is wrong with these auto manufacturers,first we see 1.6 s cross issue and now this innova.

Now what is the new buyer suppose to do? Get the car washed and checked while taking delivery?
The least they can do is at-least be super pro-active and have it resolved on high priority.
Please keep us updated.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd June 2017 at 18:56. Reason: typo
scorpian is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:08   #8
Team-BHP Support

27 lakhs for a MPV from the famed Toyota. People buy an Innova with blind trust, not even looking at competition and they pay a good 3-4 lakhs premium over other brands for this faith in reliability.

Net result is a week old car leaks water like a auto rickshaw. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Are we supposed to accept this from Toyota? Are Toyota ok with this? Do they think they can charge a premium just because they are better than the competition in reliability and Quality.

What has basically happened over the last few years with the new wave of Toyota's is that Toyota reliability and quality have gone down but the other manufacturers especially the euros and koreans have upped their game. The gap is there but is narrower than what it used to be.
Vid6639 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shreyas- this is terrible. You should immediately escalate this to Toyota senior management via their website or social media. I have honestly NEVER heard of an issue of leaky windscreen in a new car before. Heck, I haven't even heard this happening on an OLD car. As other members said, it's something that should have been caught in PDI testing (not yours, the company's).

I was all set to get the Crysta ZX but only demurred because of the pricing that I thought was frankly insane. To think that Toyota has scaled down quality standards in a vehicle this revered for its quality just makes me angry.
noopster is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 13:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think the windscreen got replaced at Dealer end due to some reason.
And, the new windscreen hasn't been fixed properly resulting in water leakage.

Can you check any other Crysta and compare the glass (Sticker etc )?

Last edited by kpzen : 2nd June 2017 at 13:41.
kpzen is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

I highly doubt that it is the windshield leaking. I had a careful look at interior pics of the vehicle, and it appears as though water would have to go slightly upwards to get to the ambient lighting panel from the top of the windshield.

I would recommend that the dealer first remove the entire interior roof lining and see where the water is really coming from. And, given that dealers in our country are allergic to problem solving, try and make sure they do that in your presence.

Oh! And, please do raise this to Toyota Bharat via social media; make a stink about it.
KiloAlpha is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?

Where is the water leaking from? Is it from the wind shield OR from the frame of the video monitor?
From the video, I see that it is NOT from Windshield but from the frame. Not sure what is that frame
Secondly, from roof top, there is no Opening for water to seep in to this frame. So, how is water seeping into this frame? I am really surprised.

Pardon my ignorance, but, if possible, can you please carefully observe and specify where exactly is the water seeping in?
gkveda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:04   #13
BHPian

I suspect roof antenna. It's seal should be having a gap.
Even it's located at the back, water can easily flow to the front side.
narendra.vw is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

I had faced this issue when accessory guy (Evo owned by a bhpian) installed low quality antenna on my Spark (way back in 2009). Water was seeping through the rubber mounting and leaked to the cabin through interior light.

In this case there is no antenna at front but still I suggest you to check the shark fin antenna base for any mounting alignment issue. Also please check vehicle top surface thoroughly for any sealant issue or other defects.

edit: @narendra.vw - Agree - looks like antenna is the culprit

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd June 2017 at 18:14.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2017, 18:36   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

We already have a seperate niggles thread for the Crysta, and to see this new issue pop up in a brand new car, is disappointing to say the least.

IMO, the way the water is leaking right now, this would have definitely been spotted by any of the personnel. Also agree that the windshield might have been replaced as:

- The car comes out of the factory only after it has passed the shower test. Even a blind technician would have spotted the leak unless they were very very careless when it came to QC

- My theory is that the dealer has some foul play in this. The car could have been damaged during transit or even when it was stored in the yard, and in typical Indian style, you weren't informed about this

- The roof or the windscreen (could be either of the two) was welded or attached wrongly by the dealer in a hurry and never tested by them

- Check whether the roof has any inconsistencies that you can spot. Signs of fresh painting, shade not matching up or even bad finishing (orange peel)

- Check all the places where the windscreen bonds with the body. There has got to be a mistake there if there is a leak. Look for poorly finished sealant or rubber beading

In the end, Toyota should sort this issue out, but frankly I am never going to look up to the Innova the way I did before. The word "reliable" will never come to mind when I think of the Innova.

Hope your predicament comes to an end soon.

Regards,
vishy
vishy76 is online now   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks