Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: VW owners, how was your experience?
I got the update & it was good / neutral 20 12.99%
I got the update & I'm unhappy with it 50 32.47%
I'm not taking my car in for the update 84 54.55%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2017, 16:54   #76
BHPian

Re: VAG Dieselgate Fix - How would you rate your experience?

Got fed up with the performance of my Rapid post the Skoda remap and had a Petes' remap done. Have my smile back. Now the D mode is more or less back to original like performance but the tiptronic and the sports mode change the smile to a grin.

The noise levels are still the same though.
patron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 23:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

How is the performance of the 1.5 TDI in the new cars??

Since most owners find the engine map with the diesel-gate fix to be neutered, I am wondering whether its the same with brand new cars as well.

Or are there any changes to the hardware to make the engine more potent while being cleaner?

Last edited by deetjohn : 27th July 2017 at 23:06. Reason: typo.
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:29   #78
BHPian

I got the update done on my Laura today and i am facing an issue. Car idle increases to 1000 RPM when the a/c is switched ON and stays there even if the a/c is switched off. No major change in performance except for slight linear acceleration. Skoda guys are little clueless, but they are checking other cars which were updated.

Has any one faced this issue?
Thanks,
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 10:22   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my Vento 1.6 TDi updated.

Observations:
  • Clatter has increased.
  • The Clatter at a particular load/rpm is really loud. Like when taking off.
  • The worst change - There is a very discomforting "missing" "jerk" when the engine is cold, and in low rpm/load.
  • Can say, there is a slight change in power and torque delivery. May be the placebo effect, not sure. Have to dyno it.
  • I never look at the gearshift indicator, but, since remap I look into it, and have found it to be very subtle in all 4 gears except 5th.
  • Fuel Efficiency has not changed, if not, increased. Got a staggering 26kmpl from Karwar to Kannur.

Last edited by dhanushs : 4th August 2017 at 10:23.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 10:50   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
I got the update done on my Laura today and i am facing an issue. Car idle increases to 1000 RPM when the a/c is switched ON and stays there even if the a/c is switched off. No major change in performance except for slight linear acceleration. Skoda guys are little clueless, but they are checking other cars which were updated.

Has any one faced this issue?
Thanks,
Read the thread. Me & another member have faced this issue, and it is a common issue for the updated 2.0TDi engines.
Did a remap post this update and the issue still persists.

Driving the car with the increased NVH is quite a pain! I'm hoping there will not be any long term implications of the same, such as reduced life of the DPF Filter.
Old 20th August 2017, 07:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

Make: Vento Highline 2015
Engine:1.5 liter TDI (DSG)
Vote: I got the update done and it was good/neutral

Experience: Post the fix of the flow transformer and the software update, the acceleration has become more linear/predictable and the fuel efficiency has improved marginally by about 5-8%.
Engine noise/clatter not changed much.The idling speed with and without the A.C is unchanged at 800-900 rpm.

Am I happy about the fix? Well both yes and partially no.

Yes, because now I feel compliant with emission controls. Yes, also because the FE has improved - this may not benefit my wallet instantly but if I drive this for 4-5 years, then the fuel savings will add up to a lot.

And partially no, because the acceleration surge in the 1500-2500 rpm range has smoothed a bit. This can be experienced or felt more in the "S" mode than in the "D" mode.

My detailed post on this topic - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4253415
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2017, 08:34   #82
Team-BHP Support

Just a quick Question - Has anyone compared these observations like jerk/sound/lack of acceleration after a remap with a brand new Car? Like what VW/Skoda are selling now, I believe they must be selling new cars with updated tune only. If both new and old have some differences than is there a possibility that there is more to it or is VW still selling new cars with the old tune and will make new buyers change it after a while?

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th August 2017 at 08:36.
Old 20th August 2017, 09:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Got fed up with the performance of my Rapid post the Skoda remap and had a Petes' remap done. Have my smile back. Now the D mode is more or less back to original like performance but the tiptronic and the sports mode change the smile to a grin.

The noise levels are still the same though.
Could you please share more details ? What were the changes made by Pete's in the engine map and how much did they charge you for the remap ?
Did you also remove the flow transformer to increase the air flow to the MAF sensor and to the engine ?
Old 21st August 2017, 15:55   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

On the 2.0TDi Laura:

Been googling a little bit to figure out an answer to why my idle RPM was jumping up with the AC on - a recurring issue post this update.

Some interesting posts:

1) https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/dieselg...udi-skoda-seat

Quote:
Owners over in the US have nothing to worry about. VW are not only offering up to 11 year warranty on EGR and DPF systems of their fixed vehicles. They are replacing them free of charge in the second phase of their “recall”.

2) https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/i...e-software-fix

In the UK - cars with less than 160Kkm/miles on the odo may be eligible for free fixing of issues that could be caused by this update.
Again, this isn't going to happen in India.

My questions:

Does the Indian version come with DPF?
I remember reading that 2012 vehicles had a DPF on them, is this accurate?

If there is no DPF - then why is the idle rpm increasing to 950? Is this update causing an issue for cars without the DPF?

Interestingly - there is also a Phase 2 of the fix which will see some hardware upgrades as well including a DPF. Don't think we will see that coming to India.

EDIT:
This guy here has a similar issue to mine on his 1.6TDi Golf:
Quote:
It used to go into ‘regeneration mode’ [whereby soot collected in a filter is burnt off at high temperature to leave only a tiny ash residue] a few times a year, but now does it on almost every journey. This is my wife’s car and is used to transport our two children. As far as I can see they have ruined a perfectly working car.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ar-undriveable

As much as I like the car, this update has annoyed me a lot.
I've picked on Skoda dealers a fair bit for their inability to fix small niggles effectively / quickly - but as I've learnt from other brands, this is normal. In fact, I was surprised to see how quickly Skoda got in touch with me about a small issue of overcharging/adding bundles to their service packages - and was planning to commend them on the same.
But I think I will reserve my comments for when they fix this. Because nothing is more annoying than waiting at a signal in a car with significantly increased NVH.

Last edited by lamborghini : 21st August 2017 at 16:01.
Old 21st August 2017, 16:01   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen submits roadmap on recall of 3.23 lakh cars before green tribunal.

Quote:
The roadmap was submitted by it in pursuance to the NGT’s direction passed on Wednesday. The automobile giant is in the process of recalling several million cars across the globe.
link
Old 23rd September 2017, 13:30   #86
BHPian

This week I gave our 'Rapid' for it's 3rd year service. While giving the car for Service, I totally forgot about this software upgrade and said nothing regarding this to the Service Advisor. Around noon, suddenly I remembered this and called him up to enquire whether they will be updating the software as he did not get any kind of authorization from me regarding this. He said they have stopped getting permission / authorization from Customers regarding this update and they are doing this upgrade to all the cars that comes to the Service centre that require this update!

After the update, although I did not observe any big difference during my city rides, I felt the Engine clatter has become lot more louder than what it used to be.
batman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 10:23   #87
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BHPian psuraj had a bad experience with the dieselgate fix - link to post.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 14:24   #88
BHPian

Pathetic update. Specifically asked not to perform the update on my Skoda Rapid 1.5TDI 2015. It was done regardless.

After the 60K service I’ve driven over 3500km in 10 days between Chennai-Mumbai-Vadodara-Mangalore-Bangalore-Chennai l; the torque pull when overtaking is gone. Vibration on steering wheel in idle is ridiculously annoying.

Exact experience; lower torque and increased fuel consumption.
http://teknikensvarld.se/dieselgate-...er-fix-456111/
Old 9th January 2018, 15:10   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Our usually-used service centre, calls from time to time to offer "free upgrade." Last time they said it was mandatory!

No thanks, no way.
Old 9th January 2018, 16:13   #90
BHPian

Had specifically asked the SA not to do the dieselgate fix on my rapid 1.6 TDI, I was asked to sign a decline note about the same.

The decline note they had, stated that "as I have tuned my ECU from outside, I don't wish it to be meddled with" or some lines to that effect.

It is as though VW has been guided by some shady lawyer and some time later, they will issue a statement saying that all the emissions have been cleaned and those still polluting are the ones with ECU's that have been played around with.

Most Viewed