Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2019, 15:09   #91
BHPian

Re: Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter

I managed to find the UFI filter in amazon Italy website. Totally problem free global shipping. Costed 12 euros per piece, plus shipping and taxes, ~59euros in all.
https://www.amazon.it/UFI-Filters-27.../dp/B00AYH3XG2

I ordered two, and its arrived in a week.
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-img_0462.jpg
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-img_0463.jpg

Made in Tunisia. The filter shipped from Barcelona, the amazon fulfilment centre.
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-img_0464.jpg
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-img_0465.jpg

Clean quality. Original. This will serve me for the next 30,000 kms.
avanishphatak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 14:33   #92
BHPian

Re: Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter

I have some more updates after the recent service from VW.
The same issue recurs after they replace the UFI with a OEM filter. So I tried out some different things:

Act 1:
The outer sheath of the airfilter is a kind of felt material. It is quite thick and resits the airflow quite a bit. So what I did was to peel the surface of it until its about 50% less in thickness. And this made quite a lot of difference in performance. With much better airflow, the stock filter performs almost as good as UFI filter.
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-210121-3-01-48-pm.jpgSolved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-210121-3-02-01-pm.jpg

Act 2:
UFI now manufactures filters under its SOFIMA brand in Haryana. I ordered a filter from motrparts.com a new automobile parts seller from chennai. Delivery to bangalore was quick. Sofima filter is almost as good as UFI in terms of performance and build quality. The outer sheath of sofima is sponge rather than felt material on UFI but does not hamper the performance so to say.

Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-230121-1-39-28-pm.jpgSolved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-230121-1-40-00-pm.jpg
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-230121-1-40-15-pm.jpgSolved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-230121-1-45-52-pm.jpg
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-230121-1-47-44-pm.jpg

Act 3:
Got the Eurospec Airchannel Guide installed from Volkswagen Rajajinagar Bangalore (Part No: 1T0805971) and Boy! does it zoom!

Old Airchannel Guide:
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-220121-10-52-58-am.jpg

Eurospec Aurchannel Guide:
Solved: VW Polo GT TSI power drop after service! It was the air filter-photo-220121-10-53-38-am.jpg

The combination of UFI/SOFIMA and Eurospec Airchannel guide does give a nitroboost to GT-TSI.
Of course the frequency of filter change reduces, but I dont mind even if it halves. The price of replacement SOFIMA is around 500/- and for the performance gain you get, its well worth it.

The Eurospec airchannel guide was availiable in stock and VW Rajajinagar did not create any issues. It was just walk-in after requesting the part availiability and in 15 min the entire replacement process was done. Its extremely easy to replace. The cost ~1.2K for the part and 230/- labour charges.

Last edited by avanishphatak : 24th January 2021 at 14:35.
avanishphatak is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks