Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2006, 21:24   #1
BHPian

Re: Gear "jumping" to neutral???

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I tried the search function, but says there is a database problem right now.

Anyways, I was on driving on this rough patch of road early morning today - it is a totally kuccha road, the kind more suited for a Mahindra Classic. The road is all small boulders/stones. My WagonR was having a rough ride...and I was in 2nd/3rd gear. Then when I step on the accelerator, I suddenly notice that the gear has gone to neutral! For a moment, I felt maybe I did not shift properly while changing gears, but on recall I think my gear shift went fine. Why the gear "jumping" to neutral then? Is something seriously wrong with my 6-month old car's transmission?

On earlier incident - a few months back, I had a similar kind of situation in the middle of city traffic where I had problem shifting gears and the gear was sort of stuck at "neutral" it seemed. When I showed the car to the Maruti Service Center, they attributed it to a very "free clutch" and so the made that a little tight...and the problem did not recur. Now, I have just had my car's 2nd free service last week and the mechanics there had made the clutch too tight this time, so I told them to free it up, and it is back to the preservice state - what I would term "not too free" (like earlier).

My questions:

1. Is the "jumping" to neutral because of the clutch being "loose/free?"
2. Is there something seriously wrong with the transmission/car?
3. I am sure a rough patch of road should not cause the gear to jump from 2nd/3rd gear to neutral - or can it?

Comments awaited

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th November 2006, 22:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

A really bad road could jolt your gear into neutral. Your gear shift is connected throught cables to your gearbox. A big jolt could knock you lever into neutral . A big hump could just graze your gear linkage and shift it into neutral too. A defective gearbox would slip its gears on any kind of road.
i dont understand how your clutch could be loosened and tightened. Maybe they were just using pedal springs of various tensions??
Old 9th November 2006, 08:12   #3
BHPian

you have said that your clutch is very loose,is there any milaege differance u find or any increase in the engine rpm at idle state..
Old 9th November 2006, 11:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
A really bad road could jolt your gear into neutral. Your gear shift is connected throught cables to your gearbox. A big jolt could knock you lever into neutral . A big hump could just graze your gear linkage and shift it into neutral too. A defective gearbox would slip its gears on any kind of road.
i dont understand how your clutch could be loosened and tightened. Maybe they were just using pedal springs of various tensions??
yep, i concur...it happened once with me: there was an unexpected drop in the road surface causing a big bump. i was in 4th, doing around 60 when this happened. suddenly the revs went thru the roof and i found the car in neutral. hasn't happened again.
as jyobeb says, a defective gearbox would cause issues on any surface, not just bad ones.
Old 9th November 2006, 12:19   #5
DRC
BHPian

I am not sure of what I am talking, because it is hearsay.

One of my friend had the similar issue, and it used to jump to neutral even in city traffic. Appearantly, the dealer, when contacted said said it is a problem with a perticular batch, and rectified the problem. His car is almost an year old.

I can confirm it tomorrow when I get in touch with him.
Old 9th November 2006, 14:14   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One of my friend had the similar issue, and it used to jump to neutral even in city traffic. Appearantly, the dealer, when contacted said said it is a problem with a perticular batch, and rectified the problem. His car is almost an year old.
My Esteem had the same problem with 5th gear when new, and the "locking clip" was found defective. Took about a day to replace it.

@ Johy - Since yours has taken place only on one instance, I dont think you need to worry about it.
Old 9th November 2006, 14:39   #7
BHPian

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb
- I guess so - I am referring to a hard, tight clutch pedal in comparison to a "freerer" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
... Since yours has taken place only on one instance, I dont think you need to worry about it.
I really hope so. I have been tied to my workplace all day, so have not been able to sort of "recreate" the issue. If there is a problem, I hope it comes up sooner rather than later - while the car is still under warranty.

All in all, I must say I did enjoy that stony patch of road! No wonder, people die for driving those 4x4s!
Old 9th November 2006, 15:07   #8
Team-BHP Support

I dont think you have to worry for a one off incident. Once I hit a big pothole at high speed. Apart from a bent rim, the gearshift jumped to neutral due to the jolt. This has never happened again. When this happened the car had done just around 20,000kms, not its at almost 70,000 with no problems.
Old 9th November 2006, 18:19   #9

I had a similar problem with my maruti 800. The gear used to suddenly jump to neutral while in 3rd or 4th.... It was found that the Gear Oil was leaking. So when the oil level dropped down considerably the problem used to occur. It got rectified once the leak was fixed. This might or might not be the problem in your case but it is a possibility
Old 9th November 2006, 21:45   #10
BHPian

I have seen that happening with my OHC after they replaced the main shaft bearing. But with time the times it would happen reduced a lot. One off incedent should not be a point of concern.

Most Viewed