Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2006, 21:49   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
My 50 days old and 4k done swift-zxi pulls to left when the steering is handsfree!! I had doubt about this from the day one but then thought its due to the road slopes... later when I found that it is increasing day by day..tried a wheel alignment to get rid of the problem...but no improvement!! of late I've found that the front left tyre is having outer wear!!! Now I guess this is a serious problem.... What should I do guys?!! I don't expect a good solution to this from dealer service stations... coz all the boys there know only replacement jobs... and not these kinda correction jobs!!

Pl comment on what cud be the problem?!! I've checked the alloys for any crack or so... nothing! Any body had this problem earlier?!!

Thanks in advance..
cheers!
Since your car pulls to the side when in normal motion - not under braking, I can tell you that its a faulty suspension bit. A wheel alignment/balancing will not solve your problem. You'll need to forcefully prevail on the dealer about a complete suspension look-thru, or tell him you want a new car - else you'll sue. You shouldnt have signed on the order-acceptance document, unfortunately.
Old 13th November 2006, 22:40   #17
rks
BANNED

@nikkibike, I suspect that your Swift might be one of those test-driven vehicles and possibly damaged. Also I assume that your tyres/wheels are stock. My only suggestion is to sit on the heads of the dealers and insist on fixing the problem to the original company standards, which you are entitled to under the warranty.
Old 13th November 2006, 22:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

dude are you sure the guys at maruti did not try that ad the tata guys used to do with the safari..all jumping out of the water and stuff...i wonder who they sold that to...iam sure we might here from him sooon...maybe "HEY GUYS IAM NEW TO T-BHP...IVE GOT A SERIOUS PROBLEM..JUST BOUGHT A SAFARI AND WENT OVER A COUPLE OF BUMPS AND THE ENGINES fallen off"....but joke apart FIRE THE SON'S OF B&&%# AT MARUTI....
Old 14th November 2006, 01:07   #19
BANNED

hi

HI ,
uneven tyre wear on the outside of the wheel ,particularly on side might be the result of a bent chaisis as well.

If the tyre wear does not stop after whatever replacements ,which are going to be carried out ,ask them to check for chasis damage . DO not accept any insurance jobs ..just make sure you get a new car
Old 14th November 2006, 07:23   #20
BHPian

chassis checked!

Hi guys... thanks for your inputs.... as all of you said, this is not a chassis trouble I guess... They have checked the underbody dimensions using 'dataline' and manualy too... all those areas are correct.... finally they decided to replace the stuffs one by one....till the problem is solved. From a very serious study...what all are suspecting is the strut!! Secondly, the lower arm. If the problem gets solved by replacing any of these..they said they will change the entire suspension stuffs for my satisfaction!! What say guys?! Is this a good idea?! I doubt the quality of MGP's when compared to company fitted parts!
Old 5th December 2006, 21:29   #21
BHPian

Problem is Solved now I believe!!

Guys,

I took delivery of my Swift from the dealer's service centre after a long stint for the rectification of 'side pulling'(left) problem!!! With the help of senior bhp-ian speedzak, I somehow managed to pull the service centre guys to look into the trouble thoroughly and clear the main issue 'side pulling' with the direct 'hands-on' involvement of Maruti's Territory Service Manager in Kochi!! After the corrections, they called me for a test drive and found that the side pulling problem is cleared!! I accepted the car on the condition that the MUL guy will again take responsibility incase it resurface after covering another 2-10k kms!!! Especially the tyre outer wear!!!
Today after taking the dly, I did a 50+ kms drive and never felt anything wrong with the car!!! I believe they have eliminated the trouble successfully!!! Will wait and see.....

Zak, cudn't speak to you reg this... thanks a ton for your great help!!!

cheers!!
Old 5th December 2006, 22:02   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift Pulling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
My 50 days old and 4k done swift-zxi pulls to left when the steering is handsfree!! I had doubt about this from the day one but then thought its due to the road slopes... later when I found that it is increasing day by day..tried a wheel alignment to get rid of the problem...but no improvement!! of late I've found that the front left tyre is having outer wear!!! Now I guess this is a serious problem.... What should I do guys?!! !
In such cars,only the toe is adjusted through alignment.Please check the camber and also toe.

Suggest you look at the alignment report of another flawless Swift and compare the readings with your Swift's alignment report.You might get some clues.
Old 6th December 2006, 07:28   #23
BHPian

Correct!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
In such cars,only the toe is adjusted through alignment.Please check the camber and also toe.

Suggest you look at the alignment report of another flawless Swift and compare the readings with your Swift's alignment report.You might get some clues.

Vigsom, you are right!! Tho they have done something to eliminate the problem...the camber seems to be around 3deg+ when in nornal case its 5 deg+ or so!!! But the reading shows in my car is with-in the limits specified by the manufacturer!!! I've foundout this before taking delivery...but as the readings are well with-in the specified levels..i cudn't argue with them more..!!
What say?! Should I screw them again?!!
Old 18th May 2007, 15:12   #24
BHPian

Problem Rectified!!

Guys.... my car is just out after 20K service at M/s AUTOTEAM Sales & Services Pvt Ltd.(M A S S), Palarivattom, Kochi.

Other than the 20K service, major defects I've pointed out to them are (1) Side pulling to left and Ft.Lt tyre outer wear (2) Erratic function of ABS during emergency brakings(rear wheels get locked easily).

Well.... Mr.Rajan varghese (A top ranker of Maruti Technicians in INDIA), Mr.Sunny and Mr.Dinesh.. all three(owners) were very courteous to me when I was expalining the troubles to them. They assured me the best possible solution that can be provided to resolve the troubles of car!

(1) Side pulling to left and Ft.Lt tyre outer wear
They checked the entire front suspension very closely and identified a major assembling mistake on the front left strut unit. They found out that the top and bottom coil spring mounts(two holes on the mounts has to fall in a staight-line alignment) were assembled wrongly by the person who assembled it at its manufacturing place. Wonder how it qualified Maruti's QC!! Due to the wrong assy of strut unit, it was giving more strain on the left suspension in general which happened to be the main reason for the above defect!! Technicians at Autoteam dismatled the unit and reassembled it properly (according to the guidelines given by the company) and told me to come for a test drive to check whether the trouble is cleared or not! ALAS!!! Its cleared!!
I cudn't believe that sort of a mistake from the company assemblers!! Funniest part is that, earlier the dealer service guys worked for 5-6 days to clear this trouble but they cudn't succeed even with the help of Maruti's "Territory Service Manager" of this city!! I confirm that they are Good for Nothings!!! Now my only concern is bout the worn out tyres!!

(2) Erratic function of ABS during emergency brakings!!(rear wheels get locked easily)
Technicians of same place checked this part also and identified that the rear wheel cylinders were not functioning properly due to excess dust and grim around the actuaters and mechanisms!! They cleaned the wheel cylinders and components inside the wheel drum and changed the brake fluid after flushing the lines. ALAS!! ABS is functioning properly!! No premature locking of rear wheels now!! I get that pulsating feeling as and how it is requried while emergency brakings!! Feels that brakes are more effective now as it was on the day1!!

Am happy that the car is back in top order now!!
Goodbye's to dealer service and Welcome's to MASS!!

All those who experiance the above defects on thier new Swifts are requested to check and correct as mentioned!! It is reported that quite a few Swifts of several batches have this defects and everywhere the service and company personals are are struggling to identify the root cause!!

Drive on guys!!!..

Last edited by nikkibike : 18th May 2007 at 15:23.

Most Viewed