Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2006, 11:36   #46
BHPian

FWD Drift is Possible - Have a look.

Done at the track In chennai. There wasnt any sand around, only tarmac, was done on a front wheel drive car (Chevy SRV), not once but about 6 or 7 times. FWD drift is possible. Car is bone stock, no modifications whatsoever. You require a lot of skill and i would strongly recomend that first timers stay away from such stunts. The guy driving the car is Karun Chandok. Have a look: -

Last edited by Sideways : 15th November 2006 at 11:47.
Old 15th November 2006, 11:38   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
Khaadu ji. Please don't get exasperated.

although it is difficult, drifting IS possible using a FWD.

There are many different drifting techniques, both for RWD and FWD.

RWD
  • Power oversteer or Powerslide - This drift is performed when entering a corner at full throttle to produce heavy oversteer through the turn. The excess power causes the drive wheels to lose traction in a RWD or AWD car. This is the most typical drifting technique for all-wheel drive cars.
  • Braking Drift - This drift is performed by braking into a corner, so that the car can transfer weight to the front. This is immediately followed by throttle in a RWD car causes the rear wheels to lose traction. FWD cars can also use this technique as it does not depend on the rear wheels being driven.
manveet this part is right for rwd. i have not seen fwd's drift and most of the people who drift here use rwd and the cars have increased hp which is needed to hold the drift.
let me learn about fwd drift.

keep the posts coming drift2race.
as my car is already on drift setup want to see what these double disks looklike. so pics asap
Old 15th November 2006, 11:45   #48
BANNED

Sideways, Drifting is when you use the power of the engine to slide thru corners and bends as and when you feel like it . I aint gud in giving links and stuff but the real drifting is not happening in a FWD car -- NO WAY !! Thats more of a forced drift where the tail of the car goes out and you need to correct it with the wheels and not the engine , maybe Im wrong but thats how i know it to be .

Cheers
Old 15th November 2006, 11:52   #49
BHPian

I completely agree Saajid, and also accept that it is the authentic and true way to drift (RWD & AWD). No arguements. Yes the picture above is a forcibly induced drift using the scandanavian flick method. But correction was done by counter locking and engine power. Without engine power he would have been a gonner.

So to conclude lets just agree that: -

RWD & AWD = Authentic drifting
FWD = Induced Drifting

And now lets back to the topic of the thread.

Last edited by Sideways : 15th November 2006 at 12:01.
Old 15th November 2006, 12:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

My opinion is that a drift is the consequence. How it is induced is irrelevant.

Definition on Wikipedia:
When the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, and the front wheels are pointed in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right), and the driver is controlling this, the car is drifting.
Old 15th November 2006, 12:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
double disc brakes for maximum braking
This is biker's term.

I have a gut feeling that 'drift2race' is the next 'mktgheadferrari'!!
Old 15th November 2006, 12:22   #52
BANNED

Manveet, Thats where i dis-agree totally !! Turn right , Pull half hand brake - rear will go out , lock wheel in opposite direction ... its driftig but not the drifting that we refer to as drifting !!! We talking to the FUN FACTOR of drifting and that only happens in the RWD ....

Manveet, Get urself a Fiat/Tata Sierra ... push in 3rd gear , do a scandinavian flick , shift into 2nd and see yourself slide thru a turn ... NOW THATS WHAT I CALL FUN DRIFTING !!!

Cheers

Last edited by khaadu75 : 15th November 2006 at 12:24.
Old 15th November 2006, 12:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet
My opinion is that a drift is the consequence. How it is induced is irrelevant.
yes its a consequence but its something u know u are going to do its planned to either overteer or dump clutch or brake or increase revs to hold the drift and so its relevant if u need to be on the track and in control.
Old 15th November 2006, 12:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
This is biker's term.

I have a gut feeling that 'drift2race' is the next 'mktgheadferrari'!!
i am still waiting to see the double disks picture.
Old 15th November 2006, 13:38   #55
BHPian

Hey tht sr-v pic was in overdrive as well....induced or not....drifting is sure fun...tried it recently on a ford fiesta....trust me guys the stock tyres felt as they were running on grease....but sure was fun...
Old 15th November 2006, 13:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race
its an expensive hobby if you just think about the dents because one time repair costs around 60000 to a lakh & since we have just started on the learning curve dents and nicks are bound to happen !
Wow, now that's what I call being PASSIONATE about your hobby!!!! Bravo & keep it up, what's a few lakhs worth of dents between friends .
Old 16th November 2006, 09:21   #57
BHPian

guys i am a very busy man ! as soon as i get time i will post pics soon , you are interested in double discs but aircrafts have 4 ,6 ,8 & even 12 discs ! me & my friend dont really care about the money spent on the skoda , we have altogether spent more than 7 lakhs on the car !
Old 24th November 2006, 11:55   #58
BANNED

Drift2Race, that's a lot to spend on mods. Could you please give us a cost breakdown?

I would like to see this double disc pattern too. I'm interested in improving my car's braking (currently has front discs and rear drums).

Also, since you are both new to drifting, doesn't it make more sense to learn with the Alto? Will save you a lot in repairs and you'll also grasp the basic principles better.
Old 24th November 2006, 12:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
you are interested in double discs but aircrafts have 4 ,6 ,8 & even 12 discs !
Yeah, but we are talking cars here I thought, we want to see the double discs on the Skoda.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift2race View Post
me & my friend dont really care about the money spent on the skoda , we have altogether spent more than 7 lakhs on the car !
What's your stake in this buddy, you sound like a friend I could do with whenever I decide on modding my rides....you are generous all right

Boom, cars like the Alto are not for him......he thinks big
Old 24th November 2006, 13:56   #60
Team-BHP Support

Hey drift2race where are you.

I just thought of something. Your an aircraft engineer and you have access to ATR's. I'm sure theres an empty runway somewhere around where they are parked. Why couldnt you just practice drifting there.

One more thing Since you have the runway why not try drifting the ATR that should be possible I'm sure.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks