Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2017, 22:14   #1
BHPian

Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport

Yes you read it right!! There's a possible defect in the design or quality of the reflectors that's affecting almost all figos/aspires. Credits to Bhpian Samaspire for identifying this issue. He has got his headlights replaced twice under warranty for the same issue.

What is the issue ?

The reflectors develop a white patch in the upper portion, slightly above the bulbs. This is not visible normally and requires close observation in some cases but it can be easily identified as burn marks in others. Samaspire had mentioned this several times but I was confident that I dint have them, the main reason for my conclusion would be, I dint know how it looked. Then few days back bhpian skanchan faced the same issue and he posted pics. Then I realised that my car had it too. I had noticed a similar white patch previously but it could be viewed at only some angles and it was faint in my vehicle and I thought it was some reflection. But now it's confirmed it's not any reflection but burning of the reflector due to some faulty design or quality issue. I noticed several figos/aspires in the service center and around my city and every single vehicle was affected. Requesting all bhpians to check inside their headlamps and do the needful. Attaching a few pics of various vehicles for reference.

On a side note going by samaspire's experience though you get replacement under warranty the issue is most likely to resurface in the new clusters too unless Ford has made or will make a change.

Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport-img20170827wa0001.jpg

Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport-20170822-00.58.56.jpg

Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport-img20170824wa0001.jpeg

Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport-img20170823wa0003.jpeg

Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport-img20170823wa0002.jpg

Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport-img20170823wa0001.jpg

Last edited by blackbandit : 27th August 2017 at 22:18. Reason: Error in title
blackbandit is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 23:02   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport

Good that you created a thread for this.

D3mon was the first to post about it on 26 October 2016.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4082365

I got mine changed in January of this year and then again in august. Doesn't look like Ford is working on improving the quality.
samaspire is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 23:22   #3
BHPian

What´s with Ford and poor headlamp design? The previous Figo had awful lighting, so does the new Figo and the Ecosport and now this. Are they too focused on the design? For a company that uses safety as its USP a lot, a basic but essential safety "feature" is good lighting.

To say that driving my Ecosport on a rainy night is risky would be an understatement.

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2017 at 14:58. Reason: typo
Doge is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 23:45   #4
Team-BHP Support

Just noticed this in my Ecosport after reading this thread. The exact spot, top most part of reflector has the white burnt off portion.

What's even more surprising is one headlight is less than a year old having been changed due to a small bump but even the new one has it!!

I have the 4 year extended warranty and using only 55/60W Philips X-treme but this should not happen.
Vid6639 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 11:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

I had both the headlamp clusters of my 2016 Figo replaced under warranty four days ago for the white patches appearing in the reflector above the headlamp bulb. To the Workshop's and Ford's credit, they immediately changed both the clusters without any fuss.

However, considering the number of examples quoted in this thread, I am not sure if replacement is actually the solution and if the the replaced clusters will not have the same issue in the future.

The cost of a single Figo Headlamp cluster is Rs 2206/- (as per the bill - I was not charged for it). Price wise, it is nearly 1/3rd or even less than the headlamp assemblies of other cars in the same segment. If cost cutting or poor quality of materials were used in the cluster are the cause for this, only Ford can tell.

This is the first car that I have noticed such an issue with the headlamp reflector.

One thing I have noticed with our Grand i10's headlamp cluster today is that right above the headamp bulb, there is a cut out and it has no reflective surface in that area (corresponding spot in the cluster where the reflector has a white patch in the Figo).
skanchan95 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 11:22   #6
BHPian

I had been to Elite ford service center in Bangalore to apprise Ford guys on this issue. But I was taken back when the SA said ford has used superior quality parts and this will not cause any issues and is normal. Elite was not in a mood to lodge a complaint with Ford. All I was getting to hear that Ford is the best car and there can't be any flaws. Meanwhile I showed the issue with all the cars parked in the service area, still no luck. I'm going to write to ford on the issue and the way the complaint was handled.
kptraveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 11:38   #7
BHPian

Have seen this in my 2009 Fiesta too. But I don't see any issues in the light output.
Old 28th August 2017, 14:27   #8
BHPian

It shall also be noted that we are seeing this issue when almost all of our cars are within the range of 15k kms and some even as young as 5k kms. This definitely shouldn't be happening, that too so early.

Last edited by GTO : 28th August 2017 at 14:59. Reason: Typo
Old 28th August 2017, 18:17   #9
BHPian

Re: Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post

I got mine changed in January of this year and then again in august. Doesn't look like Ford is working on improving the quality.
Did your replaced headlamps develop these patches too!?
d3mon is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 18:36   #10
BHPian

I have the same issue. Yet to contact service center though.

I have checked by looking at many parked cars. Right, every aspire/Figo seems to be having this issue.

Mind you, my car is running stock headlight bulbs. I have never changed them with anything else.
Old 28th August 2017, 23:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Have seen this in my 2009 Fiesta too. But I don't see any issues in the light output.
Until now I was thinking that this was happening because ford had changed materials or suppliers to reduce costs, but if even a 2009 car has this issue then I don't know what to think of Ford Quality Control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Did your replaced headlamps develop these patches too!?
Yes. Within 6 months. What is surprising is that I do not do excessive night driving. Probably 20% of my total mileage.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 12:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the patch on the glass, it appears like it is getting affected by too much heat.

It may be a case of irregularities in the shape of the glass, due to to which it is slightly thicker or thinner at places, causing excess build up of heat.

Is it happening only with upgraded bulbs?
Old 29th August 2017, 13:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek46
Is it happening only with upgraded bulbs?
I think no. I am running stock bulbs and I have never changed them. I am too effected by this problem in same exact way.
Old 29th August 2017, 13:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Checked my 3 month old Aspire and saw slight burn marks on both reflectors
I had upgraded to Philips Xtreme vision a few weeks after I got the car. My night driving is not much and I am surprised this happened.

If it was a 100w bullb, it will burn a hole in the reflector.
I hope Ford is not going the low quality way just to reduce the parts and service costs.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport-img_6986.jpg  

Ford: Defective headlight reflectors in the Figo, Aspire & EcoSport-img_6987.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 29th August 2017 at 14:20.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 17:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Checked my 3 month old Aspire and saw slight burn marks on both reflectors
I had upgraded to Philips Xtreme vision a few weeks after I got the car. My night driving is not much and I am surprised this happened.

If it was a 100w bullb, it will burn a hole in the reflector.
I hope Ford is not going the low quality way just to reduce the parts and service costs.
We had a doubt that the sports model might have something updated. But your case clearly shows that even the sports model is not spared

Most Viewed