Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2017, 18:24   #1

i20 steering wheel: Crack in plastic panel (which houses the buttons)

Hi all...

I own a Hyundai Elite i20, and recently found a crack in the steering wheel just under the phone buttons. I have no clue, on how it happened and KUN Hyundai, Pondicherry, too is not sure how it could have happened.

KUN Hyundai says it cannot be covered under warranty and fixing it would involve replacing the whole steering wheel and it may cost a bomb.

I am worried a bit, what if the crack could become bigger and cause any issue in future?? Or is it wise to leave it as it is.. or try some homemade remedy like using some adhesives/fillers to fill the crack..

Could experts please suggest any solution??

Thanks a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
i20 steering wheel: Crack in plastic panel (which houses the buttons)-img_20170824_104745.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2017 at 09:26. Reason: Typo
sarav_a is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 19:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: i20 steering wheel: Crack in plastic panel (which houses the buttons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav_a View Post
KUN Hyndai says it cannot be covered under warranty and fixing it would involve replacing the whole steering wheel and it may cost a bomb.
I guess its just a part of the switch assembly, and you don't need to change the entire steering unit for this.

i20 steering wheel: Crack in plastic panel (which houses the buttons)-1111111.jpg

It should cost you around 3k.

http://oriparts.com/8/62/1390/463568#item_9965760

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-swit..._rbl-25455530/

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 22:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: i20 steering wheel: Crack in plastic panel (which houses the buttons)

It seems like a simple fix. Head to a local garage. Disconnect your battery and remove the airbag and steering. Take apart the steering wheel and just glue the part together using fevikwik.
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 09:12   #4
BHPian

I'm facing a similar issue with my Elite i20, there seem to be two cracks; One on the LHS and another one on the RHS. Gives me worries too...

Pictures of the cracks:

i20 steering wheel: Crack in plastic panel (which houses the buttons)-picsart_082909.15.29.jpg

i20 steering wheel: Crack in plastic panel (which houses the buttons)-picsart_082909.16.09.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th August 2017 at 09:28. Reason: Typos
manaljain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 11:19   #5

Re: i20 steering wheel: Crack in plastic panel (which houses the buttons)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
It seems like a simple fix. Head to a local garage. Disconnect your battery and remove the airbag and steering. Take apart the steering wheel and just glue the part together using fevikwik.
I am worried as it may void the warranty. If Hyundai does not agree with Leosashi's solution, i have to go to a local garage.
Old 29th August 2017, 11:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

The reason why warranty has been denied does not seem to be clear.

This part is not a general wear and tear component, that should not be covered under warranty.
This should not crack under normal operation, unless some one has hands like Rocky Balboa!

I strongly believe that Hyundai should be contacted directly and their official statement must be sought.
abhishek46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 11:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav_a View Post
Hi all...

I own a Hyundai Elite i20, and recently found a crack in the steering wheel just under the phone buttons. I have no clue, on how it happened and KUN Hyundai, Pondicherry, too is not sure how it could have happened.

KUN Hyundai says it cannot be covered under warranty and fixing it would involve replacing the whole steering wheel and it may cost a bomb.

I am worried a bit, what if the crack could become bigger and cause any issue in future?? Or is it wise to leave it as it is.. or try some homemade remedy like using some adhesives/fillers to fill the crack..

Could experts please suggest any solution??

Thanks a lot.
Hi T-BHPians,
Can someone explain as to why the Steering Wheel should crack in the first place.?? Is this a manufacturing defect and what causes such cracks?
Yasasri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 17:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasasri View Post
Hi T-BHPians,
Can someone explain as to why the Steering Wheel should crack in the first place.?? Is this a manufacturing defect and what causes such cracks?
Hi,
couple of important points.
First of all, the Steering Wheel has not cracked. So, lets not blow things out of proportion. It is a hard plastic part which provides a housing for the buttons, that has developed a crack.
Plastic items can crack due to multiple reasons, including extreme temperature, chemical exposure etc., hence plastic and not elastic.

Noting the fact that both the cases were from places with high temperature belt i.e. Pondicherry & Indore.
Question to the OP : Do you park your car outdoors for extended duration?
Any possible chemical exposure?

The superglue would be the cheapest option.
The really costly option would be to go to ASC and get these replaced. Since these are not common spares, they might take time to arrive.
Third option is to go to the local spares market and get one from other totalled vehicles.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 20:42   #9
BHPian

Hi..
Me too an Elite i20 owner. I too have the same problem. A crack in the plastic area of the steering mounted switches. I'm astonished to see so many people having the same problem. Could it be a common defect with Elite i20s?

I've not cared much about the crack as it is clearly a crack with the plastic switch and not the steering wheel. Guess there's nothing much to worry after all.

I've also experienced another problem with braking which another of my friend also experienced. If I brake to a speed of 5kmph from say 50kmph there is a vibrating sound with the brakes.

This sound is more pronounced if I have to take a sharp turn by braking and reducing the speed. Could this also be a common problem with Elite i20?
i20ian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2017, 20:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the cracked part like an insert in the steering? A similar part in our first gen i20 steering wheel needed replacement because of scratches and losing it's silver finish.

I was told by hyundai workshops in two different cities of GJ that the silver insert part cannot be sourced seperately. But when we got the car to Mangalore, the local Hyundai workshop did source the part for me.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3127341
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 09:46   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
I've also experienced another problem with braking which another of my friend also experienced. If I brake to a speed of 5kmph from say 50kmph there is a vibrating sound with the brakes.

This sound is more pronounced if I have to take a sharp turn by braking and reducing the speed. Could this also be a common problem with Elite i20?
I think you are getting confused with working of ABS.
If you are braking from 50kph to 5kph, the ABS might come into play if it detects locking of wheels.

Same occurs when you are taking sharp turns and braking at somewhat higher speeds.

Sorry for Off Topic.

BTW even our city has high temperatures throughout the year during day. But our Elite i20 is not facing the above problem of Cracking of Steering Wheel after 2 years and 5 months + and 98K kms of ownership. Touchwood.

Last edited by GTO : 30th August 2017 at 10:35. Reason: typo
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks