Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2017, 10:42   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai i10 steering vibrates & turns on its own at idle!

My car is possessed: Help!

My apologies for that melodramatic title but yesterday my dad did get the shock of his life while driving the i10 and till now almost all people ( most of them BHPians) have expressed their shock too at what transpired.

We have a 2012 i10 AT sports model done 30k kms. Last service was carried out in July this year at Hyundai ASS. Yesterday when my dad started the car in the morning, the steering suddenly started vibrating and shaking violently. He immediately switched off the car and the problem then went away. He took a cab to work and in the evening on returning tried starting the car again and the same thing happened. Here is a small video of the same to make you understand it better:

Now please tell me what can be wrong? The steering electric motor has mostly gone kaput?
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 10:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 Kappa2 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post

Now please tell me what can be wrong? The steering electric motor has mostly gone kaput?
Most probably the motor of the the power steering unit has gone bad.
Did your steering suddenly go heavy or feel very disconnected anytime immediately before this?
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Most probably the motor of the the power steering unit has gone bad.
Did your steering suddenly go heavy or feel very disconnected anytime immediately before this?
This was on starting the car in morning. It was parked overnight. No such issues before.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:16   #4
BHPian

Quote:

I have had this exact same problem in our i10 Auto. What has gone bad is the EPS Module. It cost me Rs 7500 to fix this and i did it outside of Hyundai. The reason for doing it outside is that Hyundai says that its part of the EPS Assembly and i would have to change the whole unit had i done it with Hyundai and would have cost me Rs 26K plus.

I had the exact same thing happening as if the steering was posessed. It was intermittent and would go away at times. Let me trace the photograph of the replaced part. Its easily fixed . I will post it here once i get hold of the same.

Its not the EPS Motor for sure.
manishkapadia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 11:26   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
I have had this exact same problem in our i10 Auto. What has gone bad is the EPS Module. It cost me Rs 7500 to fix this and i did it outside of Hyundai. The reason for doing it outside is that Hyundai says that its part of the EPS Assembly and i would have to change the whole unit had i done it with Hyundai and would have cost me Rs 26K plus.

Its not the EPS Motor for sure.
Please provide me with the link for the same. I am not looking to spend too much money as we plan to sell this car in next 2 months.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:49   #6
BHPian

I did not buy it online so i do not have the link for the same. The part looks like this. Sorry for the bad image quality. This is all i could find on a quick google search.

Post replacing this part i have not had the issue. Car driven 10,000 kms after change of the part.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10 steering vibrates & turns on its own at idle!-sl225.jpg  

manishkapadia is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 18:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 steering vibrates & turns on its own at idle!

So my father took the car to Hyundai today and their preliminary diagnosis is that he EPS module is malfunctioning. They didn't have the said part in stock today and will get it in a day or two.

Meanwhile dad has been driving the car and the problem occurs intermittently at either slow speeds or at the start in the exact same manner as the video above.

Does this have anything to do with the otherwise infamous Hyundai steering rattle issue?
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2017, 11:58   #8
BHPian

It has nothing to do with the steering rattle issues on not so good roads. Changing EPS module will not fix your rattles. Its good that Hyundai is replacing just the EPS module for you and not the whole assembly.

Ironically we had a PS issue with our Hyundai Eon also at 10K kms. It was not moving on its own like your video but had become very hard with the light coming up on the dash. That was fixed under extended warranty. For i10 it happened well after extended warranty expired. Eon is no longer with us now so don't know how she is doing.
Old 14th September 2017, 14:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Is your vehicle under warranty? and are they covering it free?

Would suggest not using it in such a condition, since it is affecting one of the important controls of the car. You don't want sudden jerks on the steering wheel at higher speeds right?

Last edited by Aditya : 15th September 2017 at 15:46. Reason: As per RP
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 14:50   #10
BHPian

Quote:
So my father took the car to Hyundai today and their preliminary diagnosis is that he EPS module is malfunctioning. They didn't have the said part in stock today and will get it in a day or two.

Meanwhile dad has been driving the car and the problem occurs intermittently at either slow speeds or at the start in the exact same manner as the video above.

Does this have anything to do with the otherwise infamous Hyundai steering rattle issue?
Hi,
This is a problem with EPS module or the problem could be with loose wiring in EPS system or torque sensor.

AVOID driving the car with this problem, its not just a rattle, steering in this case is unpredictable. There is a risk of steering wheel automatically turning to one side fully while driving. (it happened to me once, luckily, it happened while i was testing the new EPS unit on a empty stretch)

At least disable EPS and drive till the problem is fixed, steering will be hard but it will be safe to drive.
Unplug the cable to EPS unit or disconnect the wires to the motor, whichever is easy to do.

Last edited by T1000 : 14th September 2017 at 14:52.
T1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2017, 15:09   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Is your vehicle under warranty? and are they covering it free?
The vehicle is under 5 years old but out of warranty ( extended warranty was not opted for). Can I mail Hyundai seeking replacement under warranty? What is the ideal distance before this can fail? Right now I am staring at a bill of approx. 15k including taxes.
Old 14th September 2017, 16:23   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The vehicle is under 5 years old but out of warranty ( extended warranty was not opted for). Can I mail Hyundai seeking replacement under warranty? What is the ideal distance before this can fail? Right now I am staring at a bill of approx. 15k including taxes.
Highly unlikely unless dealer pushes on goodwill basis. Ideally these parts should not fail, but then they always have a clause on electrical parts.

My suggestion is see if dealer can help push, then only goto Hyundai who are quiet useless from my experience. Standard replies and redirect to dealer is what they do.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2017, 07:42   #13
BHPian

If you vehicle is not in warranty than it does not make sense to get it repaired with them. Doing it outside will save you a lot. What I had paid was including diagnostic and labour as well as the part itself. Had checked for loose wiring as well as Torque sensors. They were all ok.

In any case you are to sell of the vehicle in 3 months time. I second that you should NOT be driving the vehicle in current state. Its very unpredictable when it happens and the Jerks are like crazy. The opera house vendors in Mumbai where the parts were sourced from in my case said this problem is actually common in i10 Automatics. Didn't even have to wait for them to arrange spares.

I am sure there is a similar market for spares in Delhi as well. For me it was one of the early experience of repair done outside of authorised workshops. But the talent available will actually be a surprise.
Old 29th September 2017, 15:45   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Did you get this resolved?

Just saw a wildly shaking (Hyundai!) steering at the start of a CarThrottle and was reminded of this thread.
Old 29th September 2017, 18:10   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Did you get this resolved?

Just saw a wildly shaking (Hyundai!) steering at the start of a CarThrottle and was reminded of this thread.
I had taken the car to Hyundai after sales and they said it is the EPS module. They did not have the part in stock and quoted approx. 10k for the part which means after adding labour and 28% GST, I was looking at around 14-15k approx. Tried my luck outside and found a guy who was willing to do the same for 4000 for the part + 500 labour. Since I am planning to sell the car, I would rather go with this. Also Hyundai people never called back which they had promised to do so and I even spoke to them when they called me for a experience rating call ( the lady was clueless that no work was done as part was not available). Now I have just not found the time to get it done at the FNG since I want to get it in done in front of my eyes.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks