Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2017, 13:17   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1

I hope your woes are sorted to your satisfaction and sales guy should be taken to task for treating you that way.

@Sankar
Spot on diagnosis,hats off to you sir.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2017, 15:32   #32
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Any update, Wanderers?
No update except the acknowledgement, which says BMW will provide the feedback after report from dealer.
I also called BMW today but the person looking into our case was not available. BMW promised to call back.

As we could gather from dealer on phone, BMW asked for second round of reports such as bolt tightening of wheels etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Can you get some more photographs from inside?
Sure. However we need to wait till Tuesday as dealership is closed for Durga Puja. The dealer is at Ranchi, about 100 km away from home.

Last edited by Wanderers : 28th September 2017 at 15:34.
Old 29th September 2017, 12:32   #33
BHPian

Deeply saddened by your experience buddy, not acceptable from a brand like BMW. Totally appalling treatment buyout sales person, where's only interested in selling the car, as a relationship building exercise he should have been a lot more proactive.
Do let us know about the outcome of the mail from BMW.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 14:58   #34
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your horror-filled experience. I am still asking myself - can a brand new BMW product fail like that & does BMW do a due diligence before giving an approval to someone to have its dealership.

For someone who has been dreaming of owning a car from BMW, this is indeed a shocker. With that much of money spent and with this experience (I know its one of the rarest failures of a product from a company known for its engineering excellence, but still with both capex and opex being very much on the higher side), this incident will weigh heavy on my mind when its time for me for an upgrade.
Regards
Sravan
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2017, 17:38   #35
BHPian

This is deeply saddening, Wanderers.
Somehow even dilutes the experience of owning a car from the Big 3.

I hope your issues are sorted out soon and you get a replacement before Diwali.
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 11:16   #36
BHPian

The Ranchi BMW dealership is a joke and is run by a bunch of goons. They recently messed up my insurance on the X1 and we also had an issue while taking delivery of the new Fortuner from Dhanbad Toplink Toyota where they were not releasing the car without insurance payment which was 1.5 times more than the market quote.

It was once we applied our 'sources' they came to their senses and released the car! This then followed up by my X1 issue where they gave 25% depreciation on the second year and messed up the IDV, but the sales rep was like a friend who had just moved from Audi so for only his sake didn't take any action, otherwise I had got an appointment with one of the senior most BMW India employees to screw their happiness.

Having owned around 9 BMWs in the last 5 years, I think this experience makes it our last as BMW is appointing any tom, dick and harry as a dealer. Its high time BMW takes action in your case at least. I'm so pissed with the brand that I'm slowly getting rid of my cars and upgrading to BETTER BRANDS because even dealership experience adds to the value of the brand and because of all this BMW's value in my head is worse than Skoda today. My $0.02!

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2017 at 09:45. Reason: Poorly typed post
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (11) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th September 2017, 21:18   #37
BHPian

Very sad incident. Hope it gets resolved quickly. Btw, BMW India price list shows x1 xdrive Msport as 42,70,000, and yours show as 36 lakhs? Must say got yourself a great deal 👍
sbanerjee is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2017, 23:10   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Must say got yourself a great deal ��
Yes we did get good deal but do not read much into figures in words. There was an exchange involved and dealer did its own calculation and only our final payable was matching.
The ex-showroom at time of purchase was 41.10 lakhs and TCS was paid on the same.

Last edited by Wanderers : 30th September 2017 at 23:19.
Old 1st October 2017, 18:30   #39

Quote:
Needless to say that dealership was not only hopeless in explaining the features and settings, they could not even guide on AC, Music system and heads up display. Also there was no PDI done by dealer. Except washing and taking out the wrappings, they were not aware of any checks and inspection.
But the car looked very new with no physical damage, only 6 KM on board and fully wrapped bonnet, roof and pillars. No one from the family bothered to raise the car for under body inspection as there was no suspicion of anything.
Before making final payment, I had done the VIN check. The car was manufactured on 29-Mar-2017. Well this did cause some suspicion but accepted it after seeing the car physically.

Well, by the time the journey back home started, the car had clocked 65 KM.
5 KM on the road and this unfortunate incident happened.
Its seems like the left Inner Ball Joint (IBJ) failed, might be a manufacturing defect. I worked in one of the main manufacturers of tie rods and axles supplying to nearly all manufacturers in India.

Since BMW does not manufacture it directly we cannot question their manufacturing but questions do rise for their quality check.

BMW should take strict steps to prevent these lapses as it is not expecting from them. These manufacturing defects can occur anytime no matter how high tech manufacturing one does.It all boils down to the quality department.

Once we got a manufacturing defect complaint from Isuzu where the similar situation happened (Tie Rod of DMax or VCross gave in at 3000kms) and while investigating (i worked in quality control) we found out a dent on a child part which created play in the tie rod resulting in failure.
Kushal_Gupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:45   #40
BHPian

Thanks to all fellow BHPians. Here is an update to our car.

BMW have asked dealer to repair the car on BMW expense. BMW also asked the dealer to provide the loaner car, however dealer offered an hired Innova citing unavailability any BMW car. As per dealer our car would be ready on or before 7th Oct.

We are not buying into this. We want new car and have re-written to BMW today.

We could not visit the dealer as its located in another city 100 km away but as evident from service guys, they kind of accepted the fact that such damage could not be caused by jumping a speed-breaker alone. Moreover there is no damage to other components, alloy wheel, tyre or anything on right hand side.

Last edited by Wanderers : 3rd October 2017 at 10:59.
Wanderers is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 19:38   #41
BHPian

In all fairness you should & deservedly get a new car mate, but honestly I can't see that happening (though i wish i am proved wrong here).
I'd suggest you go down the social media route big time to keep the pressure on.
KAUBMW7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 20:56   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BMW have asked dealer to repair the car on BMW expense. BMW also asked the dealer to provide the loaner car, however dealer offered an hired Innova citing unavailability any BMW car. As per dealer our car would be ready on or before 7th Oct.
No matter what you feel, I strongly believe this is due to an impact only. I have shared my personal example, imagine if something can go wrong on a toll strip, a similar damage is very much possible on speed breaker. If you happen to get photographs, do post here. To me, the failure looks very much as explained by Sankar.

BMW repairing the car at their expense is a goodwill gesture, as otherwise, your Insurance would have taken the hit. If you do not believe on their findings, maybe you can get failed parts checked for any metallurgical faults independently. In this case, their liability will also be restricted to replacing faulty components, which they are already doing. Maybe you can haggle for an extended warranty given the whole circumstances. But don't fret too much on this, things can go even worst, given the modular construction, they will simply change few parts and then it should be as good as new.

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th October 2017 at 20:58.
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 10:38   #43
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

A new car breaking down on the same day is beyond painful.
And what is worst is the attitude of the sales person. That is a matter of training which BMW/dealer should look in to.

It is hard to believe that a simple bump could disintegrate a part of suspension like that unless there is a bolt or two missing. But then there could have been some signs or some kind of rattling as the car was driven for 60kms prior to the incident.

BMW agreeing to repair without insurance claim is a decent deal IMHO as technically the incident usually will be treated as an accident.

Don't fret over it and put the incident behind as then only you (and your in-laws) can peacefully enjoy the car. And that's what matters.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 14:14   #44
BHPian

Here is a further update on our car.

The car is almost ready. In addition to free repair, BMW agreed for following

1. Replacement of all the four tyres
2. Extended warranty till 4 years

However our most important ask is the all inclusive Service Package for 5 years as we do not have any confidence in dealer. Our faith in dealership is shattered. We fear that dealer would take us for royal ride in case of any problem in future and hence have firmly asked BMW to provide Service pack for 5 years.

Here are some photographs taken sometime back. Some of them were taken during self-PDI.

BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20170915wa0006.jpg
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20170915wa0007.jpg

BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0011.jpg

BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0008.jpg
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0007.jpg
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0010.jpg
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0012.jpg
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0013.jpg
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0015.jpg
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0006.jpg
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-img20171011wa0011.jpg

Last edited by Wanderers : 11th October 2017 at 14:39.
Wanderers is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 14:53   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Replacement of all the four tyres
2. Extended warranty till 4 years
That's reasonable, so what all other components did they changed? And what is their conclusion about this failure?

Is this the culprit- missing support on the shocks?

Reference Image from- https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4277077 (BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1)
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1-screen-shot-20171011-2.54.58-pm.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th October 2017 at 14:59.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks