Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2017, 11:06   #1

Maruti Swift stuck in one gear. Now what?

Hi all,

I own a 2009 Jan model Swift D which has completed 91000 kms. Yesterday while driving back from work, I started from office normally. There were no issues during start. After driving half way home, I stopped at a traffic signal. Once the signal became green, when I started to put the car in first gear, I noticed that the gear lever was not giving any resistance while moving from rest position to first or second or any other gear. Then the strangest thing happened. I noticed that I am stuck in one particular gear. My guess is 3rd. Even if I put the gear into reverse, car still moves only forward. I am planning to take it to MASS near my house today but would like some insight and valuable advice from members here as to what could be the issue and what is the cost for a solution.

Thanks
Regards
Nishanth
Old 27th September 2017, 11:14   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Swift stuck in one gear. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilxKnievil View Post
Hi all,

I own a ---------SNIP------- solution.

Thanks
Regards
Nishanth
Sounds like one of the linkages between the box and the stick is gone. Happened on my fiesta once. Show it to a local fella first, since THAT would be a cheap fix. A.S.S. would charge a bomb even knowing its a minor issue.
mayankk is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 12:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

I presume you managed to start the car using the clutch and managed to get going by slipping it, in the third gear itself.

Agree to Mayank's diagnosis above, it would be most likely the linkage between the shifter and the gearbox.

Similar issue:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ing-swift.html
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 14:32   #4
BHPian

Yup, the same thing happened to me, the gear selector cable lock may have broken and now the cable is not in contact with it. You can call a mechanic and he can tie it up with a wire. The repair of it costs around 2.8K last when I checked with a FNG. It's a small thing, the 'tie with a wire' jugaad works brilliantly!

Last edited by GranvilleDsouza : 27th September 2017 at 14:41.
GranvilleDsouza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 14:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilxKnievil View Post
... what could be the issue and what is the cost for a solution...
Typically there is a small rubber washer that helps slot gears, sometimes that fails due to age, it will not allow you to slot gears no matter what you do.

If its the same issue with your car, then the washer itself costs ~20 INR plus whatever labor the MASS may ask for (should be anything from free to <200 INR). The act of changing the washer is a 2 min job, does not require the car to be on a lift.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2017, 15:08   #6
BHPian

As others have suggested, it appears to be a problem of wear in the gear shifter cable bush and hence loss of linkage. It has happened twice in my Figo, once at 65k and second at 115k last week. It is a 10 min job and in the Figo costs around 750 Rs
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks