Team-BHP - ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/190894-ecu-remaps-about-tools-software-tuners-11.html)

Brief Background

My Ritz VDi ABS is currently at 53K kms. The only issue that I'm currently facing is excess smoke during cold start. MSM has asked me to get the injectors diagnosed.

I've been discussing with Paragsachania on this issue and he has suggested to try adding Liqui Moly Diesel Purge with a tankful of diesel.

What Next

Once the smoke issue is resolved, I'm thinking of getting my car remapped. So, what's the maximum power bump I can expect from a Stage 1 Remap? Also, I would like to know the best tuner who can do the job in Chennai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy07 (Post 4385804)
Once the smoke issue is resolved, I'm thinking of getting my car remapped. So, what's the maximum power bump I can expect from a Stage 1 Remap? Also, I would like to know the best tuner who can do the job in Chennai.

I would suggest Wolf Moto for any car with 1.3 MJD heart :). But they are not based out of Chennai, you need to check with them regarding their visit to Chennai.

Also you can check with Code 6 tuning, I believe they have dealer in Chennai.

A good remap should bump up the power to 95-100 HP!

Wondering who would be a good bet to remap a Jetta 1.4 TSi. Not many of these cars around and that's why I am a bit apprehensive. Its a petrol, just to be clear. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 4385860)
Wondering who would be a good bet to remap a Jetta 1.4 TSi. Not many of these cars around and that's why I am a bit apprehensive. Its a petrol, just to be clear. Thanks

I believe it can be remapped. Turbo petrol should have good gains :).

I see that you are from Bangalore. Do check with E tuners Motorsports, they have done many interesting builds / remaps on VAG cars.

https://www.facebook.com/EtunersMotorsportIND/

Hello everyone,

I am writing to share my experience post remapping my pre-owned 2015 Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG.

I had purchased my pre-owned Jetta in September 2016. But why the Jetta? The other cars in that segment; Skoda Octavia, Chevrolet Cruze, Hyundai Elantra and Toyota Corolla; to me were no match to the Jetta in terms of ride and handling. The Skoda Octavia was close but the lighter MQB platform and lack of multi-link suspension did not make it handle as well as the Jetta did.

Even though I was looking for a new car, I could not see myself spending 25 lakhs on a car that was being phased out during that time. I was lucky to get this car – owned directly by VW, 2015 latest face lift version, under 02 years old which meant still under company warranty, the explosive 2.0 TDI engine with DSG and last but not least, for a fairly good price. I decided to take extended warranty for better piece of mind.

I had no complaints with the car but then came the DieselGate issue which led me to get the car’s software updated from VW. Again, the difference in power loss and driving experience was negligible and did not matter in a city like Mumbai known for traffic snarls. Even it’s performance on the highway was not bad. The engine was linear in terms of power delivery, a bit more noisier than normal and felt a bit restricted. I say again, it wasn’t a deal breaker to me. I loved the car regardless!!

However, after reading many reviews and experiences on remapped cars; especially Jettas, there was this itch to get it done for my car as well. My biggest concern was that my car is still under warranty and that if anything went wrong, that would be a major hit on my pocket. I spoke to TBHPian Dr. Naren for more information on the tuners available and iliketurtles to get his feedback on his remapped Jetta. This helped me to decide my tuner and also what I can expect post remap. I was also warned that it would be better to change my tyres from the horrendous 205/55/R16 Goodyear NCT 5s to something better. I chose the 225/50/R16 Michelin PS3.

So I finally called up Mr. Rajiv Chandran from Wolf Moto and told him what I wanted – I wanted the car to be like it was originally........and more!! A couple of months past as I was unable t make time due to my busy schedule but then out of the blue a day was finalized and the remap was done. Mr. Rajiv is a very honest and down to earth fellow and did not throw brand names like most of the other tuners who I spoke to did. He explained the entire process with patience and unlike most of the tuners I spoke to before deciding, he made a lot of sense. What I also liked that his was not a copy-paste job but a map that he was willing to tweak based on your feedback post trials. He advised to not tune the car more than 170 bhp and 400 Nm torque to ensure that there is no premature wear and tear on the stock engine and turbo. The car is capable of a higher state of tune but would mean a bigger turbo and other parts if required. I did not want to go to that level.

Post Remap – Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! That was all I could say about the car. The car flies and you are pushed back in your seat. The 225 section tyres are no match once the accelerator is floored. I did this only once to get to know what I was dealing with as I am not that kind of a driver anyway. I enjoy the car even more now and love the way it responds the slightest tap of the accelerator. My car was any way crazy before the remap. It is now insane!!

Wolf Moto did such a fantastic job with my car that I have told Rajiv to now remap my VW Polo 1.6. The engine being naturally aspirated, I do not expect more than an 8% jump in power but I just can’t wait to get it done!!

I am happy that you liked the remap from Wolf. They had done a good job in my friend's Laura DSG, hence I suggested you to check out Wolf Moto :).

Quote:

Wolf Moto did such a fantastic job with my car that I have told Rajiv to now remap my VW Polo 1.6. The engine being naturally aspirated, I do not expect more than an 8% jump in power but I just can’t wait to get it done!!
True. Good luck! I hope drivability improves post remap. There won't be day and night difference like your 2.0 TDI :D.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic (Post 4386182)
Post Remap – Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! That was all I could say about the car. The car flies and you are pushed back in your seat.

After seeing Dr. Naren's post about Wolf, i too decided to remap my Skoda Superb with Rajiv. I should admit that Rajiv is an excellent guy and very open and sincere with his advice.

Post remap the car is very eager to pull at most of the speeds and i am very much satisfied by the performance.

Though i am not a pedal to metal fan, i still enjoy the change as there is a huge difference in the drive-ability of the car. Fuel efficiency too have improved drastically and with light foot car returns excellent efficiency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ameaa (Post 4386221)
After seeing Dr. Naren's post about Wolf, i too decided to remap my Skoda Superb with Rajiv. I should admit that Rajiv is an excellent guy and very open and sincere with his advice.

I did not know it was your car. Rajiv did mention to me few weeks back about remapping Superb 2.0 TDI DSG :).

Quote:

Fuel efficiency too have improved drastically and with light foot car returns excellent efficiency.
25 kmpl? :Shockked:. I suggest you to confirm with tank full method.

Are you saying this remap cannot be detected at VW service stations ? VW group has been known to replace DSG under good will warranty even after the expiry of extended warranty.
If they detect it , you warranty and good will warranty ( if any ) , both will be gone.
Wondering if it is worth the risk.

I don't think the service center can make this out as I understand that the identification of the map put by the manufacturer remains the same. Remap doesn't put a new map instead they adjust the threshold values of the existing map. VW or skoda service center does not have tools to read the content of the map as they are not required to do so. Only chance is they can rewrite the map with an updated one in which case the tuner is giving a free remap again.

Warranty is a subject for new cars and for me my car is out of warranty. And as mentioned in the above thread the power output is not going beyond 170 bhp which is regular tune for these cars by the manufacturer outside India and even new models are coming with this tune in India. So I believe the DSG is capable of handling this without an issue..

Quote:

Originally Posted by F150 (Post 4386272)
Are you saying this remap cannot be detected at VW service stations ? VW group has been known to replace DSG under good will warranty even after the expiry of extended warranty.
If they detect it , you warranty and good will warranty ( if any ) , both will be gone.
Wondering if it is worth the risk.

I had got my Jetta scanned recently due to an ABS error which was a busted wheel speed sensor and the service centre did not find anything different post the scan. As Ameaa said, either they do not go that deep or did not notice.

They will only look in to the details when they have to process a warranty claim. Normal scanning won't reveal anything.
I remember reading in one of the threads that the service centers can detect a remap if they really wanted to detect a remap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F150 (Post 4386397)
I remember reading in one of the threads that the service centers can detect a remap if they really wanted to detect a remap.

A remap can be detected for sure if they are looking for it. All they need to do is log couple of parameters. Anyways if there are any major warranty claims, just revert to stock map from the tuner. Also it depends on your rapport with service centre.

Skoda and VW have this system called DIS, where warranty claims are approved from the plant and not from the local service center.
For sure all depends on the probability of failure post remap and financial impact to the owner incase of failure, to arrive at a decision.
I own a rapid dsg and I am strictly holding back from any remap to improve the power delivery without increasing the torque or power figures, but I am thinking it is simply not worth the risk, given the not so great track record of DSG.

Threads such as this, make me rethink.

Any incase congrats to Epic for the superb experience post remap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F150 (Post 4386434)
Skoda and VW have this system called DIS, where warranty claims are approved from the plant and not from the local service center.

My standard warranty expired early last year. What I currently have is the extended warranty. Apparently only the standard warranty needs approval from the plant. For the extended warranty, it is approved by the company that is tied up with VW that provides the extended warranty which is Bajaj Allianz. I know this because I am currently claiming a busted wheel speed sensor under the extended warranty program.

I am hence just wondering, would VW care as much for cars being claimed under the extended warranty program when they are not paying for it like they were for the standard warranties?

Quote:

Originally Posted by F150 (Post 4386434)
I own a rapid dsg and I am strictly holding back from any remap to improve the power delivery without increasing the torque or power figures, but I am thinking it is simply not worth the risk, given the not so great track record of DSG.

In your case yes, it would probably be risky especially since it involves the DQ200 DSG gearbox. But then, there are many GT TSI Polos & Rapids running remaps with no issues till now.