Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2017, 15:21   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ECU Remaps : About Tools, Software & Tuners!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayeed View Post
Any suggestions for mapping the ECU of Crete 1.6 diesel and where it can be done in Mumbai and is it worth it.
Yes, remap can be done. It's open ECU / bench flash. If I had Creta and still under warranty.. I would go with RD dual channel box . My friend has Creta with RD dual channel box and it's really good.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 16:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Changing the injector duration is the worst shortcut that many tuners take. This results in wrong timing. A proper tuner should deal with drivers wish maps and smoke maps. Torque limiter maps and various other maps should also be tuned as per the individual car considering individual preference.

Tools are not so important as the brains are. You need a perfect theory of why the OEM has put in so many maps and parameters. Only then you can tune to perfection.
amit_mechengg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 17:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Hi Naren,

A very informative thread and as you are already aware, I am looking for a good tuner to remap my VW Polo 1.6 NA Petrol and my 2015 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG. I have come across so many tuners and they all are offering similar standard remaps and power outputs but the prices are something that is not standard. I have got quotes from Rs. 35k to Rs. 50k to remap both my cars which are big differences for the same job.

We all know that a remap will void warranty if and when the manufacturer traces it. Is there any company or tuner that offers remaps authorized by OEMs? I do not remember the name of the tuner or where I read it but one tuner claimed to be providing authorized remaps for Bentley and another OEM. Is this even possible?

Also, with all the power numbers claimed, how does one check if these number hold true without using a dyno?
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 18:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Remap costs cannot be compared across the tuners. Its like two MBBS doctors treating for the same illness. One charges 200 and one charges 250

Ways of treating is different based on experience.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 18:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
, I am looking for a good tuner to remap my VW Polo 1.6 NA Petrol
Please let us know if you manage a remap for this NA petrol.

I am quite sure there is a hungry crowd of turbo-less na petrol owners waiting around just for a tuner like this.
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 18:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
Please let us know if you manage a remap for this NA petrol.

I am quite sure there is a hungry crowd of turbo-less na petrol owners waiting around just for a tuner like this.
NA gives good results with the tuning of the Ignition Timing. Dumping fuel doesnt help as there is no much air increase that can be done on NA without modifications
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 19:49   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Changing the injector duration is the worst shortcut that many tuners take. This results in wrong timing.
Yes, that's one of the most easy way to make power. Also the customer would be happy immediately. The difference in power post injector duration change remap is immediate. A good tune done by changing many maps would take some time for the customer to actually understand the gains.

Quote:
Tools are not so important as the brains are. You need a perfect theory of why the OEM has put in so many maps and parameters. Only then you can tune to perfection.
I second that!!

Quote:
I have got quotes from Rs. 35k to Rs. 50k to remap both my cars which are big differences for the same job.
Thanks to slave tools and low cost tuned files from Europe.. The tuner would make profit even if he remaps for 10k.

Quote:
I do not remember the name of the tuner or where I read it but one tuner claimed to be providing authorized remaps for Bentley and another OEM. Is this even possible?

I guess I know the tuner whom you are talking about. No manufacturer would authorise any after market tuner like that. There are many instances where few tuners make some deals with service / sales guys and they would recommend the particular tuner for remaps.

Quote:
Also, with all the power numbers claimed, how does one check if these number hold true without using a dyno?
The numbers on dyno can be easily manipulated and would be not accurate also. Dyno should be used only for comparison and fine tuning. Do stock vs remap run on same dyno and check the gains!!

I believe in 0-100, in gear acceleration timing to analyse the real gains on road.

Quote:
Remap costs cannot be compared across the tuners. Its like two MBBS doctors treating for the same illness. One charges 200 and one charges 250
MBBS doctors study the same syllabus and have a certifed degree at least. But here in India everybody with a remap tool is a tuner lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
Quote:
NA gives good results with the tuning of the Ignition Timing. Dumping fuel doesnt help as there is no much air increase that can be done on NA without modifications
Yes, some NA cars do respond very well with changing ignition timing.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 9th October 2017 at 19:52.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 20:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very true.

In my case, Indian Cedias are detuned from factory. I just replaced the maps from the non-detuned versions and I guess I got back the lost 9hp. Any more improvements will need more brains and experience to squeeze it out safely and reliably.
SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 21:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

What about AMG from Mercedes and the M power kit from BMW? ARE THEY NOT FACTORY CERTIFIED
Old 9th October 2017, 21:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
What about AMG from Mercedes and the M power kit from BMW? ARE THEY NOT FACTORY CERTIFIED
Yes, they are. This thread is about remaps from after market tuners for all cars in general

AMG is only for Mercedes
M power kit is only for BMW
JCW is only for Mini Cooper
Polestar is only for Volvo
Abarth is only for Fiat

I wish every manufacturer has something like this. Extra horses from factory are always better

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 9th October 2017 at 21:54.
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 12:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikersoul View Post
I’ve a VW Ameo Diesel DSG and was in talks with a few remappers but no one was confident on remapping a DSG gearbox. Can some light be thrown on this specific topic?
They have now recently started installing DQ200, dry clutch 7-speed gearbox on diesels instead of DQ250, wet clutch 6-speed. DQ200 was known to fail at over 250 Nm torque so mostly always used in petrols and needed a remap to go over that mark (and making it even more unreliable). It is now claimed that the current generation DQ200 can do about 350 Nm torque, though I don't know if a remap on the DSG is required to take the torque to that level in diesels.

I imagine tuners are apprehensive as the DSG isn't cheap to replace and VAG have replaced some gearboxes because they failed in even stock tunes. If it is a daily driver that is used by your family for commuting, my personal suggestion would be to keep the car stock.

I say this while I do not know how much torque those diesels are capable of and where a remap would be required in the DSG, but, if you have some appetite for risk, try a remap on the engine ECU but do not remap the DSG - I say this with personal experience of DQ200, that if torque is not an issue, the gearbox is lightning quick and a remap wouldn't improve it substantially. Most fun would obviously be a full remap of both.
rocksterraghu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 15:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a good tuner to remap my VW Polo 1.6 NA Petrol and my 2015 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG. I have come across so many tuners and they all are offering similar standard remaps and power outputs but the prices are something that is not standard. I have got quotes from Rs. 35k to Rs. 50k to remap both my cars which are big differences for the same job.
I recently got my 2014 Jetta DSG remaped at Pete's in Mumbai for 17k. Pete's had an Onam offer going on back then. Even without the offer, Pete's price is less than 20k IINM.

Quote:
Changing the injector duration is the worst shortcut that many tuners take. This results in wrong timing. A proper tuner should deal with drivers wish maps and smoke maps. Torque limiter maps and various other maps should also be tuned as per the individual car considering individual preference.
Does anyone know specifics about Pete's remap for VW/Skoda 2.0 TDI CR cars? In my case, I literally just dropped my car off at one of Pete's resellers and wasn't even asked about my preferences for the remap. Since I have heard good things about Pete's remaps, I am assuming that they remapped my car the "right way".
Old 10th October 2017, 16:04   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
Does anyone know specifics about Pete's remap for VW/Skoda 2.0 TDI CR cars? In my case, I literally just dropped my car off at one of Pete's resellers and wasn't even asked about my preferences for the remap. Since I have heard good things about Pete's remaps, I am assuming that they remapped my car the "right way".
Pete's remaps for 2.0 TDI should be good. I believe it's from custom code UK which are tried and tested maps. Do not worry about it
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:42   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a good tuner to remap my VW Polo 1.6 NA Petrol and my 2015 VW Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG. I have come across so many tuners and they all are offering similar standard remaps and power outputs but the prices are something that is not standard. I have got quotes from Rs. 35k to Rs. 50k to remap both my cars which are big differences for the same job.
I have received a quote of 32.5k from KS Motorsport(Revo technik) for my Yeti, but i still have not remaped my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
I recently got my 2014 Jetta DSG remaped at Pete's in Mumbai for 17k. Pete's had an Onam offer going on back then. Even without the offer, Pete's price is less than 20k IINM.
Can you share details of the pete's dealer in mumbai who remaped your car. As far as I know you have to ship the ECU to them for remap. But a dealer in mumbai would be nice.

Can someone give a brief idea about power and torque figures after remap.
My yeti is 2.0 TDI 110 bhp but it will be very less because skoda performed software update on my car and needless to say after that update car feels dull. Highway performance is affected the most. So i am left with no other choice but to get a remap done.

A very nice and informative thread indeed.
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Can you share details of the pete's dealer in mumbai who remaped your car. As far as I know you have to ship the ECU to them for remap. But a dealer in mumbai would be nice.
Even the dealer here in Mumbai mostly won't be able to tune your car here itself, He will have to ship the ECU to kochi get it done, Happened with me as well as my friends jetta when he had got it remapped, Which means you will have to arrange another means of transportation for a week atleast, He is located at Peddar road at the famous classic cars petrol pump, Make sure he doesn't charge you for removing and refitting the ECU.

Quote:
Can someone give a brief idea about power and torque figures after remap.
My yeti is 2.0 TDI 110 bhp but it will be very less because skoda performed software update on my car and needless to say after that update car feels dull. Highway performance is affected the most. So i am left with no other choice but to get a remap done.
If the stock is 110 bhp, You can expect a power jump till 140- 150 bhp, It will surely make the car very peppy.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks