Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How often do you open the bonnet?
Every 1 - 7 days 55 33.54%
Every fortnight 33 20.12%
Every month 33 20.12%
Other frequency (please specify in your post) 11 6.71%
Never (I leave it to the service guys) 8 4.88%
Only if required (e.g. some problem) 24 14.63%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2017, 17:19   #16
BHPian

Re: How often do you open the bonnet?

I selected "Only if required". I open it before I go on road trips or if I think there is some problem or when I want to fill in the washer liquid. Apart from the second reason, I check the coolant and oil whenever I am to go for a long trip or when I fill the washer liquid.
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 17:34   #17
BHPian

During Road trips when I stop the car for a quick stretch and snack. I do this for better heat dissipation and for topping up windshield water fluid if required.

I sometimes wonder that I may have given a wrong impression about Celerio's reliability to many a people.
k88k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 17:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

I open the bonnet now and then to check if the battery connections are proper, alternator belt is fine, roughly clean the engine bay once a week, top up wiper fluid etc. and just generally have a good look around and see whether everything is fine and smells okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
1. How many times in a week/month, do you open the laptop cover to see if everything is working fine?
2. How many times in a week/month, do you visit a doctor when you are healthy?
3. How many times in a week/month do you check the house roof if it is leaking before rainy season starts?
Interesting that you asked those questions, but really I don't think there is any comparison to be made here:
1. Laptops and other electronics have way fewer moving parts and undergo far less stress than a car.
2. We have immune systems nothing as such to help out a car.
3. Again, no moving parts.

That said, I also probably would not bother checking anything if I had an Innova I have driven one of my uncle's Innovas which is used everyday and hasn't had a service in over 25k kms, the pads were definitely worn out and it could use an oil change but apart from that I really did not notice much wrong with the car when I drove it, it's only when I brought up the weak brakes that I was informed by his driver about how long it has been since the car was serviced. Needless to say, I was shocked and impressed.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 6th October 2017 at 17:57.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 18:53   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I check under the bonnet every 1-3 days and always before starting the car in the morning. This is not just because coz I like looking at a clean machine but the real reason is the housing colony cats are habituated to living there.

My car has been a cat and house shrew (chuchundri) sanctuary for many years now. They mess the place up sometimes, the hood insulation is a mess with fur all over it, but I don't mind since the faint odor (undetectable inside the car) keeps those bloody rats away.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 19:46   #20
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I selected "other frequency" since the occassions when I open the hood usually are:
1. To fill up the washer fluid reservoir when it is low OR mandatorily a day before I go on a road trip and I also check fluid levels. Frequency of road trips/long drives used to translate to about a month but has now become much more longer

2. When there are symptoms of something going wrong Eg.strange/new noises, horn sounding weird (happens every 6 months or so with the Dzire as the electrical wires tend to come loose sometimes), oil/coolant leaks, headlamp bulbs/one beam not working, etc.
Also, Whenever there are hints of rat activity in the garden that is adjacent to our car porch. Luckily, these checks have always been negative with regards to any damage to the car

Last edited by NPV : 6th October 2017 at 19:51.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 19:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

I keep an eye for area under my Bonnet, to see if there are any leaks/any wires ( Rats chewing off wires ) etc.

Frankly speaking I don't open my car's bonnet these days.( I am not counting windshield top up thing in this )
I used to open My Padmini's bonnet quite frequently , but after buying Nano that habit died.

Last edited by silverado : 6th October 2017 at 19:59.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 20:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Question!

I used be stuck inside the bonnet everyday, but, nowadays the frequency is reduced to probably once or twice a month, when I give the cars a good wash.

Thanks to reliable cars.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 08:16   #23
BHPian

It depends on the car really, for the honda city, I rarely open it. Sometimes it goes 6 months without me touching the lever. It is quite reliable and in my 4 years ownership, I never had to actually do anything after popping the bonnet, except washer fluid topping.
With my Thar crde, i open it every 2 weeks or even less, it needs check on coolant levels etc.
With the nano, well..there is no engine in the bonnet, but have to open it regularly to fill petrol.
pyrodrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 08:51   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Weird as it may sound, I have a habit of glancing underneath the hood every time I start the car for the first time in the day. I like to have a quick glance at the fluid levels, and then any evidence of rodent attack. It usually takes 4-5 seconds.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 08:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

I own SX4 Zxi (VVT model).

I open the bonnet as required, for the following purposes:

1. For topping-up windshield water.
2. For checking engine oil, coolant and brake fluid level before major outstation trip.
3. For clearing the debris by the side of wiper pivots.

There is no specific frequency and I open the bonnet as and when needed.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 09:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

I open the bonnet once a week (Typically), when I clean the car.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 12:44   #27
BHPian

I open the bonnet and check for everything during every Chandrastama for my Raasi because that's when a breakdown happens to me judging from my past experiences.

Last edited by Ajay_the_Don : 7th October 2017 at 12:45. Reason: Included words
Ajay_the_Don is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 14:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

While running on CNG hood used to get opened every 4 days for filling cng and i would take a peek at the engine bay while the gas was being filled. However i now have stopped using cng so hood gets a glance over atleast once every 15 days.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 15:40   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting & a fun thread/poll, thanks Dr. Naren

Only if required, but definitely during monsoons to refill the washer fluid.

BUT with the Project E46, every now & then

Last edited by karan561 : 7th October 2017 at 15:41.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 18:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

I don't follow any specific interval to open the bonnet. I open it whenever I feel like opening it.

In case of a new car or a car just came from service, I open it almost daily to have a look at the gleaming engine bay.

Usually, I open it when I check battery/windscreen fluid level every 2-3 months.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks