Team-BHP - Fuel Types
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Fuel Types (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/19125-fuel-types.html)

I searched all about the internet, and I could not find answers to what I was looking for. I thought I had my facts straight about different kinds of fuels available, but skewed internet reports all over, meant that I'm completely confused.

So what is it?

I thought

1). REGULAR fuel was 87 Octane.
2). HP Power is 87 Octane + Additives.
3). BPCL Speed is 91 Octane.
4). BPCL Speed 97 is 97 Octane.
5). IOC XtraPremium is 91 Octane.

Now I also thought that after major cities shifted to BS-III norms, that minimum fuel rating to be retailed was 91 Octane. So then Regular would be 91 Octane, and Speed Weed would be timepass additives.

Please show me the light!

Actually BPCL Speed is 93 Octane Fuel not sure about HP Power rest is correct.

Jitu Bhai, Regular speed is 91 not 93. I know ths for sure. The rest is correct. Although I am not sure about power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ported_head (Post 328669)
I searched all about the internet, and I could not find answers to what I was looking for. I thought I had my facts straight about different kinds of fuels available, but skewed internet reports all over, meant that I'm completely confused.

So what is it?

I thought

1). REGULAR fuel was 87 Octane.
2). HP Power is 87 Octane + Additives.
3). BPCL Speed is 91 Octane.
4). BPCL Speed 97 is 97 Octane.
5). IOC XtraPremium is 91 Octane.

Now I also thought that after major cities shifted to BS-III norms, that minimum fuel rating to be retailed was 91 Octane. So then Regular would be 91 Octane, and Speed Weed would be timepass additives.

Please show me the light!

Looks like HPCL has come up with some thing called speed93, 93 octane rating.

Power is 91 octane

I think the current Speed is 93 octane n earlier it was 91 octane when it was launched...

I know for sure that Speed 93 as a brand was discontinued a while ago, so 93 Octane is out.

Speed and Power are 87 Octane with additives/boosters according to the small amount of knowledge I have. X-tra premium is 91 Octane.

And Speed 93 was 93 Octane and there is 97 Octane speed too.

If wrong , feel free to correct me guys

Farhan paji, Speed indeed is 93 octane i know this cause i have been told by authorized BPCL Outlet OWNERS. I will reconfirm though with BPCL at Refinery itself i know somebody there.

Aha, the plot thickens! I'm glad I started this thread.....

Ok after going through endless Govt. reports on fuels and fuel policies, which were useless, obviously, all I could find in those was list of infinite number of people in an infinite number of committees. Then went through a few CSE reports, which basically said that all fuels we use are adulterated, and they also instructed how you could do the same, so if anybody looking for leads....

The most revealing though has been the following case study by FCB Ulka, whatever it is they do, they are good people as they help us directionless consumers what fuel we need to use.

Certain excerpts from the case study, for those who have slow internet connections or are just plain lazy:

"Most of the modern generation cars especially those in the B+ to D segment, are designed for a 91-Octane Petrol as opposed to the 88 Octane Petrol that is normally available in the country. Keeping this in mind IOC launched, XTRAPREMIUM - India’s one and only 91 Octane Petrol with Multi Functional Additives blended as per a special formulation. Even as on date XTRAPREMIUM is the only 91 Octane Petrol available in the country."

"Competition: Speed (BPCL), Power (HPCL)

Both Speed and Power are 88 Octane Petrol but are treated with Multi Functional Additives to impart improved performance. The table below captures the comparative properties of the branded fuels as well as the normal petrol."

Which makes it pretty clear that Power and Speed were both 88 RON fuels with additives. This report holds true as of 2004.

Now the googly, here is another excerpt from the same case study:

"Some thoughts…
By March 2005, Euro III norms make 91 octane fuels mandatory in most metros While this will help volumes grow, the octane difference will no longer be valid."

FCB ULKA - COMSTRAT 2006

And the Bharat Stage 3 norms were brought into force in selected cities in April 2005.

Also the SIAM website shows mandatory fuel specifications with respect to the B.S. norms:

Indian Gasoline Specification by Auto Industry in India.

where it clearly states that minimum RON would be 91.

So my conclusion on all of this is, atleast for now,

A). All regular fuels are 91 Octane.
B). That would make Speed, 93 if higher octane rating, or 91 plus additives.
C). IOC Xtra Premium stays at 91 octane, and am still clueless about HP Power, should have the same strategy as Speed though.

This is what I know:

Speed is 91 Octane
Speed 97 is 93 Octane (Its just called Speed 97)
X-tra Premium is 91 Octane
Power is either 87 + Additives or 91 Octane (I assume its NOT 91 Octane)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankitahuja (Post 328797)
This is what I know:

Speed is 91 Octane
Speed 97 is 93 Octane (Its just called Speed 97)
X-tra Premium is 91 Octane
Power is either 87 + Additives or 91 Octane (I assume its NOT 91 Octane)

You are wrong about the Speed 97 part. It is 97 octane and not 93 octane.

What I understand is that all brands of Regular unleaded is of 91 Octane.

Then all three majors have one brand with addictives.
So Speed, Power and Extra premium are all 91 Octane with addictives.
Not sure about Shell Super. Does Relience have any thing other than regaular unleaded?

Then BP has Speed 93 and 97 which are of 93 and 97 octane respectively.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sivadas (Post 328829)
What I understand is that all brands of Regular unleaded is of 91 Octane.

Well only where Euro-III is mandatory, or was it Euro-II
I remember reading somewhere that companies have to provide at least 91 octane fuel to metros to meet emission norms.

Regular: 87
Speed: 90 with additives
Power: 91 with additives
XtraPremium: 91 with additives
Speed 97: 97 with additives

That's my understanding based on talking to petrol pump people. Looks like everyone's got a different story though!