Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2006, 11:55   #1
BHPian

Shudder in swift

Hello chaps.. I have driven the swift just for abt 650kms and was driving down to Eagleton the other day.. so on a longer stretch of the smooth mysore highway I noticed a sort of a shudder/shiver (vibration?).. It felt most on my right leg I think. It made me wonder because the mysore road seems to be quite alright!

In the city driving conditions I haven't really felt anything out of the ordinary.

I was thinking wheel alignment/balancing or the likes. So this morning, i took it to the johnny at Bimal who did my service last Tuesday. He took it around for a little drive on the ring road at 80-100 kms/hr and said the vibrations seemed normal enough.

They do not touch the wheel alignment in the first service.

So I am really confused and am dying for someone to tell me that it is really just my imagination....

Guys pls post any questions and solutions ..this problem has got me a bit, no, very nervous..
Old 27th November 2006, 12:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

Get the wheels balanced by a proper tyre wallah
Old 27th November 2006, 12:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

Are these stock tyres or upgraded ones?

One doesn't need balancing/alignment at 650Kms, but that is one of the fix for vibrations. Did you run over some major pothole?
Old 27th November 2006, 14:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Mayank, did you feel it just that once or is it regular. if you felt it just that once, then i dont think you have to worry about it much. probably you went over something on the road & your right leg being on the accelerator would have felt it more than the left leg resting on the floor.
Old 27th November 2006, 14:43   #5
BHPian

@samurai : arrey bhaiya portholes are a par for the course in bangalore.. and these are stock tyres..and even the Maruti service chap told me that balancing/allignment is not needed at 650 kms..

@ Esteem: I felt this vibration for about 5-10 min dont remember exactly.. and then while returning in the evening as well.. but this was all on the Mysory highway..the road is much smoother than any in the city..
So I am confused.. could something have gone wrong with the allignment/balancing just after 650 kms?!

and @Ajmat: These Maruti service center chaps cannot be relied on for balancing/allignment??!!!
Old 27th November 2006, 15:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Just for 5-10 minutes, then it can't be wheel balancing/alignment issue.
Old 27th November 2006, 16:27   #7
BHPian

do check the air pressure on all four ..
Old 27th November 2006, 16:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Could be something to do with your brakes or wheel bearings. Just my guess
Old 27th November 2006, 19:08   #9
BHPian

Umm yes the air pressure was slightly low on the front two or the right side wheels (sorry cant remember which ones) when I checked in the morning..

@samurai: Sorry I should correct that 5-10 min detail. I felt it once I started looking for it actually.. and whenever I used to find a stretch of road where I could go distance without having any other distractions on road, I felt it...

Should there be no vibration whatsoever?
Old 27th November 2006, 19:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

where on mysore did you fell the shudder. was it at the same place on the way back as well?

You may not visibly realise but the road looks smooth although isn't at a few stretches as a result the steering shudders. I've checked this out a few times.
Old 27th November 2006, 20:08   #11
BHPian

Hey thats a good point Vid and a very comforting one!!... I cant tell really dint think of it then but remember I was on 2 different sides of the divider

Can anyone tell me if there is a sure shot way to check if there really is a problem or whether its my imagination running wild... :d
Old 27th November 2006, 20:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

check air pressure, prescribed on all four wheels (get it done from a gas station with digital reader) >> ok >> inspect wheel rims for any bents/dents/damage>> ok>> get front wheels balanced

alignment problem wont cause shudder rather pulls cars to sides under normal circumstances and causes tyre wear

what speeds were u driving? did this happen at any particular speed?

and hope these were not coz of any small camel strips they have put as speed warning, dont remember is mysore road had them... <<scratches my head>>
Old 28th November 2006, 12:06   #13
BHPian

I have been at it since yesterday.. I feel the vibration thru my foot on the accelarator.. I am really beginning to wonder if its anything at all!

and jaggu.. what are camel strips?
Old 29th November 2006, 13:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
I have been at it since yesterday.. I feel the vibration thru my foot on the accelarator.. I am really beginning to wonder if its anything at all!

and jaggu.. what are camel strips?
that would be small humps on the road acting as speed limiters/breakers.
Old 29th November 2006, 13:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

99.9%, its the wheel alignment/balancing.
The MASS generally do a terrible job at wheel alignment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks