Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2017, 19:53   #1
BHPian

Solved! Water leakage problem in the Honda Jazz & City

Hi folks,

The monsoon gone by, let my Jazzy gulp some water!

The problem
Solved! Water leakage problem in the Honda Jazz & City-1-problem.jpg

A closer look at this puddle formed
Solved! Water leakage problem in the Honda Jazz & City-2-problem.jpg

Having 2 sets of floor mats (beige colored 3D mats atop Honda OEM accessory black fabric mats), the issue only came to my sight when one fine day I wondered a tinge of absorbed water did reflect over the beige.

I wondered what was it and how did it come in a parked car. I had never waded my car through the flooded roads. A slight sample put on my tongue felt tasteless water and confirmed me that it was rain water only. But how did it find its way in a closed car exposed to rain though?

The possible theories:

1. Leakage from door rubber beading for it might have aged & worn out from somewhere since my car is exposed to all weather.

2. Clogged door drains, but wasn't convinced since the door side sill is fairly high above the level of door drains on the outer side.

3. Some leakage in the firewall area letting the rain water seep in.

Took my Jazzy to HASS and to my surprise this was a known issue to them for both Jazz and City. They didn't take a minute to think and the SA directed the boffin to carefully cut the lower door rubber beading(running over the drains) from just above the drains to expose them open. And then clean the clogged drains.

The solution
Solved! Water leakage problem in the Honda Jazz & City-4-solution.jpg

...And then this activity was repeated on the other 3 doors as a pro-active measure
Solved! Water leakage problem in the Honda Jazz & City-3-solution.jpg

I was ok to accept 'clogging of drains' for my car is parked in open and is completely exposed to the nature, but was wondering how could water find its way in from the door crossing the sill?

Explanation by SA: This is a known issue in Jazz and City. By default the OEM lower rubber packing covers the drains as well which hinders the free flow of dirt/water. Eventually, the dirt starts to accumulate and blocks the drain preventing the water to recede. During the rains as water getting in the door it starts filling and the level starts rising to come fairly above the sill. Since the inside of door isn't water proof, it lets water come over the scuff plates from where it finds its way to accumulate on the car floor.

Post this, they conducted a pressure wash test to confirm the issue was resolved. Back home, I took my spray bottle filled with water and applied jets of water over/in the drains to ensure that they were free of dirt. Let the carpet and the mats sun dry for a week. Ensured the floor was fully dry.

A stitch in time saves nine. There was no foul smell or any signs of fungal growth yet. Upon drying, the carpet is perfectly back to the original state. HASS didn't bill me either and the job was done as a gesture of customer goodwill.

Cheers!
Nohonking is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 10:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Solved! Water leakage problem in the Honda Jazz & City

Many thanks for sharing, Nohonking! Moving your post to a new thread for the benefit of other Jazz & City owners.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 11:27   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nohonking View Post

A stitch in time saves nine. There was no foul smell or any signs of fungal growth yet. Upon drying, the carpet is perfectly back to the original state. HASS didn't bill me either and the job was done as a gesture of customer goodwill.

Cheers!
Since it's been an 1 year after the fix is done, did the issue reoccur in the last one year?
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 13:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Since it's been an 1 year after the fix is done, did the issue reoccur in the last one year?
Fortunately no!

They(HASS) had hit the bull's eye. Moreover, I periodically do spray ONR(Optimum No Rinse) waterless wash over the drains to ensure they do not get clogged.

Cheers // Sim
Nohonking is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 13:41   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Fortunately no!

They(HASS) had hit the bull's eye. Moreover, I periodically do spray ONR(Optimum No Rinse) waterless wash over the drains to ensure they do not get clogged.

Cheers // Sim
Thanks for the update. I had the same experience in my Honda City last day albeit in the rear left passenger foot well, as the car was parked in open and it was raining cats and dogs. I have just cleaned the rubber beading over the door drains, and if it re-occurs I will apply the same fix.
Old 28th October 2018, 20:09   #6
BANNED

I did just like you suggested and everything was fine till today. As my pressure washer had some issues, I washed the car by using hose. Hence after cleaning window glass, I kept pouring water for some time. After some time when I checked the footwell while taking out the floor mats, I could see presence of water. I made an analysis after removing the rear left interior door panel and made a video on the observations. Please find the same below.

So my query to you is ‘have you tried pouring water on glass for a good amount of time and checked the footwell after some time’?
Old 28th October 2018, 21:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fortunately no!

Cheers // Sim
What's a waterless wash over the drains?
Old 11th September 2019, 06:47   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Fortunately no!

Cheers // Sim
Could you please update if the fix is still working and answer the below query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
So my query to you is ‘have you tried pouring water on glass for a good amount of time and checked the footwell after some time’?
Old 10th December 2020, 20:24   #9

Nohonking brother ! I can't explain how much you have helped me with this post I have the exact same issue on my Jazz V which is 2016 Feb manufactured model. I had a very severe accident in 2017 and ever since then i noticed water pooling all over the driver side foot well area, i took it to the service centre & even they were puzzled as to where it was seeping in from. They changed the upper beading of the door free of cost thinking something might have gone wrong during the body work/repairs after the accident. I even contemplated selling the car because of this problem, I was under the impression that a car having met with an accident will always have some niggling issues for the lifetime. Now i am 90% sure that problem is same as yours but will check it out in the monsoon when the next service is due.

I have a small doubt that I wanted to clear, I would like to install full floor rubber mat in my jazz. Since the leakage is from the door sill, i presume it is safe to go ahead with the mat. Or should i just hold on till the monsoon and be 100% sure that the problem is due to the clogging of drain and then proceed ?

Thanks a lot !
Suchu90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 23:53   #10
BHPian

My Honda City 2006 model has been having this water leakage issue since 3 yrs. last 2 monsoons during Covid and work from home I would cover the car with a tarpaulin and didn’t face a problem. But now that is not practical as I keep using the car multiple times in the day, hence the problem is back.

The area below the front passenger seat gets filled with water and the source seems to be from the front as shown in the pic. No one has been able to solve this for me as yet. In case anyone in Mumbai has gotten their leakage problem from a mechanic pls do let me know the name and number of the garage and I’ll go to them. I love the car and hence will try my best to fix this and retain it for a few years more.
Attached Thumbnails
Solved! Water leakage problem in the Honda Jazz & City-img_1146.jpeg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks