Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2018, 11:30   #46
BHPian

Re: A close look at Ford's new 1.5L 3-cylinder Dragon Petrol Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremoo View Post
Please share your real world experiences and driveability/mileage opinions too.
Sure. The drive ability has been pretty good. In very rare conditions, while going uphill from a standstill it struggles to find the right gear which provides enough torque, but that's probably a limitation of the automatic gearbox rather than the engine. Mileage in city has been very low, around 8-9 kmpl with AC, but I was aware of this before selecting the car. As the car is for my wife, drive ability and ease of use is a bigger priority than mileage. Since her running is very low (300 kms a month) the low mileage is not a deal breaker.
Old 4th December 2018, 14:56   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

With the imminent BS6 emission norms to come into force by April 2020, I tried to find if this engine is BS6 ready/ compliant but couldn't find it. Anyone has any idea about it? An answer would help us decide on our further course of action.
Old 4th December 2018, 14:59   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
With the imminent BS6 emission norms to come into force by April 2020, I tried to find if this engine is BS6 ready/ compliant but couldn't find it. Anyone has any idea about it? An answer would help us decide on our further course of action.
No clue right now but with the recent announcement that Mahindra will be developing petrol engines for Ford, I don't know how long the dragon will be available in India.
Old 4th December 2018, 15:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

After reading through the favourable reviews of the Dragon engine on the Ecosport, I did a test drive myself at a dealership close to my house. I must say that I was fairly underwhelmed.

I had read somewhere (one one of the posts on forum) that the 1.5 Dragon engine was a close match for the petrol Honda City engine. I would not agree. Truth be told, there were too many vibrations at startup and idle and also a lightness / lack of creaminess when I pushed the engine in the 2000-4000 RPM range. Of course, my test drive was short, but it was enough to leave me feeling that there was a substantial and very noticeable difference in the performance and refinement of the 3 cylinder Dragon from a 4 cylinder well calibrated petrol engine. Heck, my 7 year old K12 Swift seemed more sprightly and free revving in comparison.

Make no mistake, it still among the better naturally aspirated petrols on the market today especially from the driveability standpoint, and I am happy that Ford introduced a good petrol option in this segment. But it doesn't cut it on the Ecosport- perhaps because of the heavier kerb weight, and especially if you compare it to the torque and drivability of the TDCI engine on the same car.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 12:14   #50
BHPian

Any update on the same engine/auto box combo on the Figo 1.5 AT? YouTube reviews don't have it either. Dealers don't have this variant since the refresh of the Figo in Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks