Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2006, 10:04   #1

Variable Geometry Turbo - VGT

I was going through an interesting article about the concept of Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT).

AutoZine Technical School - Engine
This indeed is a very good technology to regulate the air pressure at both low and high rpms
was wondering if we can replace the stock turbo of a diesel car like Indica with a VGT.

Please don't use FONT or COLOR tags - Mod Team
Old 28th November 2006, 23:11   #2
BHPian

Just a thought:
Can't the compressing unit of the turbocharger be directly driven by the engine.....!? giving both instant response (like a supercharger) and high end power (like an exhaust driven turbo)!
Old 29th November 2006, 00:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustDevil View Post
Just a thought:
Can't the compressing unit of the turbocharger be directly driven by the engine.....!? giving both instant response (like a supercharger) and high end power (like an exhaust driven turbo)!
But...

If the engine power is used up for compressing the air... The power developed by the turbo will only compensate for this loss...

Correct me if wrong...
Old 29th November 2006, 03:33   #4
BHPian

Check out the new twincharger system used by Volkswagen. It has a turbo and a supercharger. As a result, from a 1.4L I4 Golf, you get about 180-200 HP. And it works at both low and high rpms.
Old 29th November 2006, 11:43   #5

The twincharger definitely is a better technology, but this seems to a very complex system which will require a very high level of calibration. I guess there won't be any technician available in India who could perform this kind of a modification. VGT seems to be a feasible solution for replacing a stock turbo.
Old 29th November 2006, 21:33   #6
BHPian

even a supercharger eats up some power for compression... doesnt it? but the net gain is positive!
Old 1st December 2006, 20:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS_Carbon View Post
The twincharger definitely is a better technology, but this seems to a very complex system which will require a very high level of calibration. I guess there won't be any technician available in India who could perform this kind of a modification. VGT seems to be a feasible solution for replacing a stock turbo.

Not really!..a VGT, unlike a waste gate turbo, is controlled by the engine ECU, thus limiting its use to CRDi engines...putting a VGT on a vehicle without an ECU and even more importantly, without the proper calibration would be disastrous....also , to the best of my knowledge, VGTs are not yet available in the performance aftermarket segment (For the reasons highlighted above and also because the only petrol application using this technology is the Porsche 997 turbo)
Old 1st December 2006, 23:12   #8
Team-BHP Support

he he...

Now if this leaks out... Every verna driver is gonna say he got the same turbo as Porsche 997...

Most Viewed