Team-BHP - Check engine light mystery
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Check engine light mystery (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/19221-check-engine-light-mystery.html)

Let me start with sincere apologies to all those i consulted on T-BHP or phone regarding my O2 sensor change.

I got an OEM (Denso) from elsewhere in this world, for a price Honda can never think of. But this elsewhere is a hush hush, as this was, well,... almost sneaked out of an Rnd lab / dyno testing centre.

CEL gone now,...

But what!!! 2 days later I got my CEL back on after driving for 20 kms only. now it is very erratic and comes on now n then and even dissappears while i drive.

Hallmark Honda is hooking up the scanner almost everyday onto my car as i land at their door steps with my complaints.

But the surprise,... no error codes during the scanning. Later, I take it out for a ride,.. and lo!! there is the CEL shining in my face now n then.

It was their sensor that showed a O2 sensor malfunction while I had the bad O2 sensor in my car.

could any of the techie gurus (please dont be upset with me for not coming over to anyone for my O2 sensor change sorry: ). Just that I'm a low-cost DIY guy.

Only let me know what could be possibly wrong?

Anto.

Hi,

Sounds like you have a mismatched sensor which probably is not compatible with the Ecu. BTW how much did you pay for the sensor hope you did not buy the delhi made ones.

Viper

Viper :) good to see ur reply to my thread first!! Thanks.

No, I of course did not buy the Delhi or the Chinese ones. Not that cheap for my VTEC :)

I got this one from the US, where my bro works for Hitachi Automotive Products, used in a dyno test centre.

It is an OEM direct fit replacement - DENSO make - model number 05019.

I will upload an image soon. am at office, juggling between this thread and work.

Well,... after a day of bug chasing on my car, the culprit is found.

Sadly enough it means more to spend :(

As soon as my CEL came on first ( 2 months ago ) and the scanner report told me about the O2 sensor failure, I had taken my car to a local mech to empty the fuel tank off the rotten fuel that I had filled up.

Due to unavailability of a ramp and proper tools unlike a dealer, this chap chose to unmount the tank and then empty it.

In due course, he has screwed up the terminals of the PGM-FI sensor (one of the sophisticated sensors). Let us not talk about what it does here.

Read this instead,... Honda Worldwide | Technology Close-up (This one is of Honda Bikes, I did not look around to find how much more sophisticated is a car's!!!)

Be amazed at the kind of sensors that a PGM-FI system has!!

Now that is going to cost me a bit. I will have to wait until the stock comes in. Looks like I'm burning my fingers by shoving them into a rich man's jacket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbpscars (Post 330339)

I had taken my car to a local mech to empty the fuel tank off the rotten fuel that I had filled up. Due to unavailability of a ramp and proper tools unlike a dealer, this chap chose to unmount the tank and then empty it. In due course, he has screwed up the terminals of the PGM-FI sensor (one of the sophisticated sensors).

Hey,

I hope you learnt something from this. Attempt DIY only when you are 100% sure of what you are doing and consider the consequences fo your actions. When dealing with expensive stuff makes more sense going to a professional they know what they are doing.

Viper

Yes sir agree:

Suggest you to open shop in Navi Mumbai. Should be a blessing for many over here.

I didn't want to let this thread hang-on with the readers thinking that it was my DIY ideas that ruined some expensive sensor.

Well,... after an agonising wait over the evening of diagnosis, the next morning, I went to Hallmark armed with quite lots of info.

After some questions to the service technician, he seems to have made a perfectly wrong diagnosis!!!

According to his analysis, my car must be stalling to get on its feet. Leave alone running. Whereas the RPM was normal, no stalling, the engine was smooth as ever on all RPMs/ vehicle speeds (tested on Palm Beach Road)

The CEL coming on was only due to wrong methods of clearing the memory - like just pulling out the -ve of the battery and waiting for a few mins after installing the O2 sensor.

Now after using the software "in the right way" by another technician from Ichibaan, the CEL is gone. I have driven the car for 250 kms over the weekend and there is no CEL now. The fuel efficiency also has improved.

The other technician also checked the PGM-FI system and confirmed that everything is working. My PGM-FI sensor system is in great shape and is working very fine. Nothing was ever wrong with it.

DIY - atleast as a way to gain knowledge DOES HELP :)

I would leave this thread saying that some reading and understanding of any system will surely help (save money) before taking such sophisticated systems to even an authorised dealer.

I have saved a whopping Rs. 14000 garage bill.

agree that DIY is good u gain to learn but it should be googled / max info got from various sources before you actually attempt (sensors and exhaust are the worst for that)

Your errors of DIY will add to experience gained but the costlier way.

its good to see that finally alls well.