Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2006, 10:40   #1
BHPian

Rs.200 to clean my K&N filter!! OK?

hi all

wanted to share an experience with you guys here. my car (opel corsa sail 1.4)was suffering with very low pick-up and was extremely sluggish between gears for the last week or so!
I took it to garuda, ulsoor road, bangalore to ge it checked and they said that i need to drop it off there for a general service.I for one did not want to leave it at the workshop unless and until they told me what the problem was.moreover they wanted to collect the car after 48hours due to and over load of cars for service.
finally a service engineer arrives and says the plugs and air filter need to be checked and if necessary cleaned.
they open the filter box and found that my replacement K&N filter was extremely dirty and clogged.I immediatley asked them if they had the right liquid and oils to clean the K&N and they didnt even know what K&N was!!!
the guy said they will blow the dirt off but i didnt allow them to do it coz i knew that would damage the K&N.

i called the methods guys and found out the dealers that sold the K&N cleaning kit and also found out that it costed in the range of about Rs.1200.On my way home, planning the K&N cleaning kit purchase, i noticed a Bosch car service centre and decided to ask them if they would do it.They gladly agreed and told me it would cost me Rs.200 to clean it. I went back home and fixed the opel stock filter back in the car and took the K&N to them and they had it cleaned, dried oiled and ready this morning.
Was Rs.200 ok for the cleaning that they did? I found they guys there to be quite knowledgeable and they also had guys to clarify some of my other doubts promptly. Overall they seemed professional.

wondering if i should go to them for service once the warranty on my car is null and void!

the guy also told me they stock lots of Skoda spares and have the skoda expertise now.they were suggesting i recommend all skod owner friends to drop by and see what they have to offer.

did go a little offtrack but would like your inputs on the above experience!

Thanks
Old 30th November 2006, 11:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

I think K&N cleaning kit is around 1000/-. It's better if you buy that and use it. It's no rocket science. One kit will give you more than 10 times cleaning.

Spending 200/- for one time cleaning is a waste if you ask me.
Old 30th November 2006, 11:05   #3
Team-BHP Support

The kit is good for 10 clean ups and worth doing on your own
Old 30th November 2006, 11:29   #4
Team-BHP Support

Cant the K&N filter be washed with water and then dried? For normal filters a good blast from the vaccum cleaner and then suction does the trick pretty well.
Old 30th November 2006, 12:57   #5
BHPian

Did it with shampoo and water.... (Twice) Conical with intake that is... No issues faced so far..

I am no expert but...

Best of luck.
Old 30th November 2006, 13:57   #6

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

you cannot wash the k&n with water or dry it with compressed air.it HAS to be cleaned using the k&n reoiling kit.washing,blowing air into it will only spoil the filter .Rs 200 is ok but i would suggest that the next time you buy the cleaning kit.it works out cheaper.

Last edited by hellspawn : 30th November 2006 at 13:59.
Old 30th November 2006, 15:35   #7
BHPian

Four seasons gives one free cleaning in bombay, i got mine done for free
Old 30th November 2006, 15:53   #8
BHPian

the guy gave me fifty rupees discount and even a 'pucca bill' which said K&N airfilter Cleaning and oiling charges!!
guess i'll but the cleaning kit soon n use that.
Old 30th November 2006, 16:06   #9
DRC
BHPian

BTW, who is this guy?
Old 30th November 2006, 16:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
you cannot wash the k&n with water or dry it with compressed air.it HAS to be cleaned using the k&n reoiling kit.washing,blowing air into it will only spoil the filter
What exactly do you mean by spoilt?As far as i know,using compressed air will blow away the filter media or push the dirt in even more.Agreed this is not advisable.

Exactly 5 minutes ago,did a self service on the kine.TOok out the K&N soaked it in water,put sum liquid soap on it rubbed it in and rinsed it.Took time to dry it and after that just put sum leftover baleno engine oil (yes yes...thanks to the person who gave this gyaan)and put it back.

This was just to see if a self job will have the results.Now i have a K&N which is clean and smells good too!But if you can afford it,go in for the cleaning kit.
Old 30th November 2006, 16:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

How often should one clean K&N filter? I was under the impression that it was once in 30,000 Kms.
Old 30th November 2006, 16:59   #12
BHPian

It has been a while that I have had my K&n installed in my car.. ideal time to get it cleaned is every 5000 kms...(I stay in the outskirts of bangalore and is really really dusty if you may call it

I agree with binz... I just used shampoo and water, Only thing is you need to ensure is the filter is dry when you put it back.
No issues faced so far.
Old 30th November 2006, 17:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How often should one clean K&N filter? I was under the impression that it was once in 30,000 Kms.
Thats directly dependent on the environement you drive your car in. Dusty surrounding means frequent cleaning . Right guys ?
Old 30th November 2006, 18:12   #14
BHPian

the filter instructions i guess are to be followed to get the total life out of the filter.It clearly says not to wash and soap with any detergent since it could further clog or permanently damage the filter (that could also be in order to seel the K&N kitbut ....).so i thought it was right to professionally get it done since i spent over 3.5k for the replacement filter.

anyway good ideas that work are a new learning.i probably may not go in for the cleaning kit right away thought.

the car now feels really smooth and nice with the cleaned and oiled filter.
Old 30th November 2006, 18:16   #15
BHPian

Hey enjoy your ride stevie, happy reving.. drive safe

Peace out.............

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks