Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 14:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
OCD is pretty much existent with enthusiasts like you and me buddy. Don’t give up yet. Try on Twitter with the head himself. See if that way helps you get it restored. Your dealer must be taught a lesson for the level of service competency they have on offer.
Played the Twitter game, seems like nobody cars about the Thar and Thar owners.

I got a call from the customer care guy who has been handling this issue, says we have to still check what needs to be done.

Now, it has been a full month since I raised rusting issues on my Thar. After that, my vehicle has been with them for well over 2 weeks, and still, there are new rusting spots being seen on the Thar.

The only questions that I keep asking myself: How long will this million rupee rust box last if such issues keep cropping up. And how long do I wish to keep it?
Old 23rd November 2017, 14:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Played the Twitter game, seems like nobody cars about the Thar and Thar owners.

I got a call from the customer care guy who has been handling this issue, says we have to still check what needs to be done.

Now, it has been a full month since I raised rusting issues on my Thar. After that, my vehicle has been with them for well over 2 weeks, and still, there are new rusting spots being seen on the Thar.

The only questions that I keep asking myself: How long will this million rupee rust box last if such issues keep cropping up. And how long do I wish to keep it?
Certainly not acceptable mate. Try going the legal route? Not sure if it’s worth the extra effort this is going to add. But I feel they really need to be taught a lesson. I also feel you’re being sweet to them why not give a serious nudge? I’m sure you’d have given but something that gets the ball rolling from the top management?

Customers don’t really have to pay a million rupees to buy a rusting metal!
Old 23rd November 2017, 15:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Certainly not acceptable mate. Try going the legal route? Not sure if it’s worth the extra effort this is going to add. But I feel they really need to be taught a lesson. I also feel you’re being sweet to them why not give a serious nudge? I’m sure you’d have given but something that gets the ball rolling from the top management?

Customers don’t really have to pay a million rupees to buy a rusting metal!
NOT WORTH THE TIME!
Not at all worth the time!

Being sweet or rude, there is very little a service / body shop outlet can do when the whole manufacturing process might be flawed.
Old 23rd November 2017, 16:28   #49
BHPian

Quote:

You just seem to be very lucky with your vehicles, especially with the Mahindra.
Hope that it remains that way.
One advise, if there is no rust yet, stop washing your car every day. Just ask it to be cleaned with a wet cloth rather than soaking it in water. Should help the cause.

On another note, I have been closely reading your Jazz ownership.
Hope you're getting the hint.
Dear parrys,

There is a regular water shortage in Mira Road. Maybe that is why all my cars have only been 'wiped' and never 'soaked' or 'washed'. Your point is good - so taken.

Thanks on the Jazz comment.

By the way, what did you think about my suggestion for a visit to Pune?

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Thar is built in the 'old Mahindra style' at Nashik (not the 'new Mahindra' at Chakan).
Wonder how bad the DI is then, apparently made at Kandivli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorguy View Post
In addition, the defrosting vent was not working and despite turning the air flow knob, the air would remain coming from the center vents.
By design. The side vents are for show.
In the olden days we used to stick our heads out of the car for a better view. Now you will crane your necks towards the center, while stretching your arms (remember the offset steering)!

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 23:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear parrys,

There is a regular water shortage in Mira Road. Maybe that is why all my cars have only been 'wiped' and never 'soaked' or 'washed'. Your point is good - so taken.

Thanks on the Jazz comment.

By the way, what did you think about my suggestion for a visit to Pune?

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
How would anything they do in Pune be any different.

I mean, they will look for where the rust has appeared, and spot paint it. That's the policy irrespective of inconsistent paint visible.

Also, when the overall metal is so susceptible to rust, what looks good, at least for the moment, won't really last in the long run.

My biggest concern is, as of now, my car is still in the 2 year warranty for the body (against rust), and that's just one month away from getting void. There is no option of an extension for this, at least I have been told so.

What will I do after a month if rust keeps showing up. Current job, whatever and however it might be, is being done for free. After a month, I don't think I will want to spend a few thousand bucks every now and then to get rid of these visible ugly spots on the Thar.

The only sensible option for now, I think, is to sell this thing off. I made a decision with my heart, and seems like I was wrong. But it's better to accept it and move on...
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 09:22   #52
BHPian

Quote:
How would anything they do in Pune be any different.

I mean, they will look for where the rust has appeared, and spot paint it. That's the policy irrespective of inconsistent paint visible.

Also, when the overall metal is so susceptible to rust, what looks good, at least for the moment, won't really last in the long run.

My biggest concern is, as of now, my car is still in the 2 year warranty for the body (against rust), and that's just one month away from getting void. There is no option of an extension for this, at least I have been told so.

What will I do after a month if rust keeps showing up. Current job, whatever and however it might be, is being done for free. After a month, I don't think I will want to spend a few thousand bucks every now and then to get rid of these visible ugly spots on the Thar.

The only sensible option for now, I think, is to sell this thing off. I made a decision with my heart, and seems like I was wrong. But it's better to accept it and move on...
Dear parrys,

I am no expert on corrosion. However, I am a Metallurgist! As far as I know most of the sheet metal grades used in most cars are susceptible to rusting. It is only the 'treatment' like paint which is controlling it - still not preventing hum! If you have decided to part ways, then that is okay. However, if a good paint job solves your problem......

One more thing - from my experience at Sahyadri Motors Pune - it does not look like they did a touch up job on my car. The whole part seems to have been repainted. I could be wrong - but it does look like that.

Anyway, you have nothing to lose if you talk to them and if you get some confidence.

By the way, my brother has E2O (not E2O PLUS). He gets his work done at Silver Jubilee in Pune. Even his experience was that they took too much time for repairs. However, the workmanship was good.

If you want contact details, then you can PM to me. I hope you do not mind this message - just trying to be helpful.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 26th November 2017, 20:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Dear parrys,

I am no expert on corrosion. However, I am a Metallurgist! As far as I know most of the sheet metal grades used in most cars are susceptible to rusting. It is only the 'treatment' like paint which is controlling it - still not preventing hum! If you have decided to part ways, then that is okay. However, if a good paint job solves your problem......

One more thing - from my experience at Sahyadri Motors Pune - it does not look like they did a touch up job on my car. The whole part seems to have been repainted. I could be wrong - but it does look like that.

Anyway, you have nothing to lose if you talk to them and if you get some confidence.

By the way, my brother has E2O (not E2O PLUS). He gets his work done at Silver Jubilee in Pune. Even his experience was that they took too much time for repairs. However, the workmanship was good.

If you want contact details, then you can PM to me. I hope you do not mind this message - just trying to be helpful.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Dear Parrys, fully empathize with your situation and its very frustrating with your hard earned money.
Since I am an old school car restorer and sailed the seas in my initial years of work, I strongly recommend the below. My fellow Scorpio buddy Mahajan is a metallurgist and will second this.
Cathodic protection has been around from the time of alchemist discovering the ability of materials to give away electrons.
A simple method of protecting mild steel (the car is built with) including HTS grade A to E used for Ship building plates- the metal to be protected will need a more easily corroded "sacrificial metal" to act as the anode. The sacrificial metal then corrodes instead of the protected metal.

Rust on the new car does not start all of a sudden unless the very sheet metal was of bad quality. Few reasons for rust to start and propagate is-
1. Poor sheet metal in the first place since you were unlucky that the batch of steel roll/sections were bad.
2. Aftermarket Electrical connections that may have been wired to the body that is creating both leads to form electrolysis when it meets moisture.
3. Any welding- arc/oxy acetylene done on the body or chassis cause rusting.

Remedy and Process-
Buy a block of zinc- 8-10 mm thick and 50X50 MM and drill a 10 size hole through it. Scrape the paint in the body of the jeep on an existing 10 size hole with the nut back welded and tighten it with a spring washer. This helps in reducing the effect of these rust spots.
Most of the cars abroad get a hot galvanized dip as part of the production process and this provides long term excellent protection. Other methods like epoxy coating and anti-rust coating and converters either provide a barrier or convert the steel into a more stable form on the surface as alternatives.

PS: I used to use this product always after blasting the car down to bare body. This is the first coat over which other coats start getting built.
https://eshop.wuerth.de/Rust-convert...sku/en/US/EUR/

Another BHPian and good friend Sanju recently bought Zinc blocks for his Contessa, Rover 2000 and other cars in his collection from the metal market for long term storage.

Last edited by Miyer : 26th November 2017 at 20:03. Reason: maintain quality with paragraph spacing
Miyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2017, 23:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

First, an update from Mahindra!
Some officials will come down to the dealership tomorrow to check the car.
It is Monday, and I have to waste time doing this. On a car I spent million rupees on.

So they say they will inspect the Thar for 4-5 hours, god knows what they will do for so long. Not like they didn't have the chance to do so in the past 1 month.

After that, they will come up with a solution.

Now, what if they spot 10 more rusting spots, which are visible. And, they resolve those. Meanwhile, my body will get out of paint / corrosion warranty. And after that, the other rusting spots which are now not visible start to show up. I am 100% sure the dealer & brand will raise their hands, very quickly that too.

What am I supposed to do then?

I have just lost hope, that the brand can do anything that will last my ownership cycle of minimum 5-7 years. I intended to keep the Thar for a much, much longer time than just 5-7 years. But, seems like the story is coming to a premature end. And, thanks to Mahindra's incompetence, nothing else.

Quote:
Dear parrys,

But, the new patch where I have spotted rust is where two metal parts meet, flush one over another. The paint guy can scrape whats on top. I wouldn't want a car which is less than 2 years old to be cut apart and replace a metal section. What can the painter do about areas beyond his vision? He can do very little if the entire metal around the car is just junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyer View Post
Dear Parrys, fully empathize with your situation and its very frustrating with your hard earned money.
Since I am an old school car restorer and sailed the seas in my initial years of work, I strongly recommend the below. My fellow Scorpio buddy Mahajan is a metallurgist and will second this.
Cathodic protection has been around from the time of alchemist discovering the ability of materials to give away electrons.
A simple method of protecting mild steel (the car is built with) including HTS grade A to E used for Ship building plates- the metal to be protected will need a more easily corroded "sacrificial metal" to act as the anode. The sacrificial metal then corrodes instead of the protected metal.

Rust on the new car does not start all of a sudden unless the very sheet metal was of bad quality. Few reasons for rust to start and propagate is-
1. Poor sheet metal in the first place since you were unlucky that the batch of steel roll/sections were bad.
2. Aftermarket Electrical connections that may have been wired to the body that is creating both leads to form electrolysis when it meets moisture.
3. Any welding- arc/oxy acetylene done on the body or chassis cause rusting.

Remedy and Process-
Buy a block of zinc- 8-10 mm thick and 50X50 MM and drill a 10 size hole through it. Scrape the paint in the body of the jeep on an existing 10 size hole with the nut back welded and tighten it with a spring washer. This helps in reducing the effect of these rust spots.
Most of the cars abroad get a hot galvanized dip as part of the production process and this provides long term excellent protection. Other methods like epoxy coating and anti-rust coating and converters either provide a barrier or convert the steel into a more stable form on the surface as alternatives.

PS: I used to use this product always after blasting the car down to bare body. This is the first coat over which other coats start getting built.
https://eshop.wuerth.de/Rust-convert...sku/en/US/EUR/

Another BHPian and good friend Sanju recently bought Zinc blocks for his Contessa, Rover 2000 and other cars in his collection from the metal market for long term storage.
THIS WAS VERY INFORMATIVE. Wasn't aware of point #2.
I only have aux lamps which you can see next to the windscreen, no other electrical changes on the car.
But this is done by so many owners. N number of owners use auxiliary lamps on their cars, never heard of rusting because of this, or such bad rusting for that matter in less than 2 years on a car that is just washed twice / thrice a week and parked in a podium.

Also, I have really no patience to go through a restoration like process on a new car. What a waste of time and money that would be.
I'd rather...

Last edited by parrys : 26th November 2017 at 23:24.
parrys is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 13:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

So I have got the Thar to the Salasar service workshop in Thane today.

Some experts have apparently come down to check my vehicle.
They will strip down the car, remove the soft top & inspect for rusting.

I have asked the to return the car to me by evening, while they wish to keep it at least for one day.

Effectively, a working Monday wasted on a Mahindra Thar which will continue to rust.

Nobody can help get rid of this mental block now, that even if not visible, the Thar is rusting somewhere.
Old 27th November 2017, 14:12   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some experts have apparently come down to check my vehicle.
They will strip down the car, remove the soft top & inspect for rusting.

I have asked the to return the car to me by evening, while they wish to keep it at least for one day.
If M&M is responding give them the time to fix it and not hurry with deadlines. All the work mentioned above would take easily a day and more...

And to M&M if they are watching, this vehicle needs a total strip down, proper anti rust coat and base coats and then full painting. While sealing off all those nasty joints.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 14:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
And to M&M if they are watching, this vehicle needs a total strip down, proper anti rust coat and base coats and then full painting. While sealing off all those nasty joints.
That request has been denied!
Before, and even 30 minutes back when I handed the vehicle.

They say this much work, a complete strip down and the likes is not feasible.

Today is the first time they came mentioning anti-rust solutions (liquids) and proper treatment.
Wonder what was being done before.

Last edited by parrys : 27th November 2017 at 14:15.
parrys is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 01:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
If M&M is responding give them the time to fix it and not hurry with deadlines. All the work mentioned above would take easily a day and more...

So I asked them again today, if the car can be repainted.
Here is what they (Mr. Swapnil from Customer Care team) said:
  1. Repainting process can cause lot of inconsistencies, since this is performed by humans and not robots as the factory line
  2. Repainting can result in more rusting. (I don't know why. Once scraped, treated with anti-rust, primer + paint should be just fine. Why would repainting cause more rusting areas?)
  3. I even suggested I am wiling to share some amount if it is getting difficult for Mahindra to resolve my issue. They said money is not the problem, but the rust might reoccur if repainted.
  4. At dealer + customer service level, they are willing to extent my paint + corrosion warranty till next year end.

I am not sure if I should keep the Thar, or...
The commitment given, that once this final time they work on it, it will then remain rust free is to be believed? (on affected areas)
Even if I get the warranty, and rust appears, and the brand again repaints, is it worth going through all this pain time & again?
Old 28th November 2017, 02:17   #59
BHPian

Rust as you mentioned is like cancer.
Removing all rust to get down to the bare metal and then treat is cumbersome process, time consuming, and will weaken its structure to some extent.

Point 2 & 3 is absolutely correct and it is also a shortcut method of arresting the rust.
Its like the wound has not healed but has a new skin on.

Rust can be treated if it is in a few areas however and unfortunately your vehicle seems to be rusting too fast too soon.

Suggest what some have indicated. DISPOSE IT.
The love for the vehicle may be great but should never be at loss of sleep and frustration. There are better wheels in life, unless you are hell bent to keep it.
Try some VINEGAR on some rust area to see if it helps remove rust.

cheers

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 28th November 2017 at 02:32.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2017, 11:11   #60
Team-BHP Support

As they say "where there is a will, there is a way" in this case time also. People have been restoring junks for ages, so getting this sorted is not that big a deal. Yes it would mean complete dismantling of body shell and starting with a thorough clean up of affected area, rust protection and preparation. Painting is the least of the botheration these days, quality of material, tools and personnel have improved leaps and bounds. Atleast in BLR i have seen Sireesh auto, who are the authorised dealer, having a pretty decent set up for major repairs and finish can't be faulted to normal eyes. Just 2 weeks back a colleague got all four doors of his XUV replaced under warranty for rust and i see the vehicle everyday.

And it is not that Thar has some major finish in the first place that one needs to worry lol

Next alternative is for them to give you a whole new body shell and doors, straight from the factory. Is it such a big deal for company like M&M.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks