Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2017, 09:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: Liqui Moly Oil in my Skoda Laura

If mineral/semi-synth oil is used then Ceratec has value. However i do not see any value in spending a bomb for synthetic oil and put another 2.5K for the additive.
Old 24th November 2017, 10:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
If mineral/semi-synth oil is used then Ceratec has value. However i do not see any value in spending a bomb for synthetic oil and put another 2.5K for the additive.
Agreed. No point spending on an expensive synthetic and then adding an expensive additive costing Rs 2285 on Amazon India to it. The price of 4 litre can of Shell Helix Ultra is Rs 2974 by comparison.

Yeah, may be good if one uses mineral oil which begs the question; does a mineral oil user want to spend >2K on an additive?. But I wouldn't use this with a top of the line synthetic which I will replace annually even if my running is <10K kms. Just increases the cost of maintenance.

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th November 2017 at 10:23.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2017, 12:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Try the ceratec. Its one of the very few oil additives which all enthusiasts seems to agree on that it works! I have used it in the old Octavia vRS and the engine was silent and smooth after that. I used the same in my Crysta after i took delivery. Will be using it again for the next oil change at 35000kms.

I had used it on my Civvy at 150K on odo. About 100kms after this addition, engine was noticeably smoother and quiet. Civvy always revved good, and adding this revvs were silent. Mileage nothing changed, since Civvy runs at the highest band all the time . My feeling was to get this done once and to check the difference, 50-50 feeling.
Old 24th November 2017, 12:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yeah, does make sense in relation to synthetic purpose, as it's only to have smoother experience over mineral oil.

Perhaps, we may or may not feel any difference or the psychology of our mind would make us feel ceratec has added value in addition to synthetic usage. Since synthetic oils have greater viscosity percentage compared to mineral oils, I assume it should serve the purpose where it makes the engine perform better with comparitively lesser wear & tear of mechanical parts as I have had first hand experience with my bike. My bike did sound way smoother when it was running on Motul 300v Synthetic Factory line vs usual mineral oil. Differences could be easily felt with usage over 200+kms since the time you switch oil.
Old 24th November 2017, 16:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Try the ceratec. Its one of the very few oil additives which all enthusiasts seems to agree on that it works! I have used it in the old Octavia vRS and the engine was silent and smooth after that.
I have the Old Octy vRS. It had a service an oil change about 1000 Kms back. Can I pour the Ceratac now. Now do I need to change the oil also along with it?

Car's done about 82K.

Last edited by .anshuman : 26th November 2017 at 19:32. Reason: Minor typo fixed
Old 26th November 2017, 19:22   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Yeah, does make sense in relation to synthetic purpose, as it's only to have smoother experience over mineral oil.

Perhaps, we may or may not feel any difference or the psychology of our mind would make us feel ceratec has added value in addition to synthetic usage. Since synthetic oils have greater viscosity percentage compared to mineral oils, I assume it should serve the purpose where it makes the engine perform better with comparitively lesser wear & tear of mechanical parts as I have had first hand experience with my bike. My bike did sound way smoother when it was running on Motul 300v Synthetic Factory line vs usual mineral oil. Differences could be easily felt with usage over 200+kms since the time you switch oil.
You're right on point about the psychology factor, I'm planning to check the difference(if there is any) using a sound level meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have the Old Octy vRS. It had a service an oild change about 1000 Kms back. Can I pour the Ceratac now. Now do I need to change the oil also along with it?

Car's done about 82K.
Yes, you can use it now since the oil currently in your car is relatively 'new'. Like someone said earlier, you'll lose the benefits once you change the oil, you'll have to buy it again once you change the oil.
vsaravind007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 13:31   #22
BHPian

I have been using these cans from Liqui-Moly for last couple of gas refills for my Ritz Zxi.
The Oils Treatment can was added along with new oil (Valvoline All-climate 5w30 API SN/CF). nothing noticeable worth, other than feel good factor of a new oil in it.
Review: Liqui Moly Oil in my Skoda Laura-a1.jpg.
Review: Liqui Moly Oil in my Skoda Laura-a4.jpg
bought it from Superbee Automobile, Cochin
sulivan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2017, 20:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Both the Speedtec Benzin and the Engine oil treatment do nothing noticeable. However the Injector cleaner does work, I have validated this physically as well.
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 17:16   #24
BHPian

I'm little confused on the product line of Liqui moly. There is 5w-40 Tot Tech which is priced at approx 1000 Rs Per Lt. Then we also have 5W-40 Molygen at around 825 Rs Per Lt & Synthoil 0W-30 which is priced at 1400 odd per Lt but gets available as deal price of 900+ Rs per lt. And lastly we have Leichtlauf HC & 5W-40 which is priced at 1250 Per Lt but is available at 960 Rs per Lt under discount. People suggest Top Tech as the best but why? Also Top Tech is mentioned as better for CNG/LPG.
Similar is the case with Liqui Moly Cera Tech friction modifier which is priced as 2250 for 300 Ml and Liqui Moly Molygen Motor Protect which is priced at 3300 Rs for 500 Ml. Can experts comment.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 18:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Similar is the case with Liqui Moly Cera Tech friction modifier which is priced as 2250 for 300 Ml and Liqui Moly Molygen Motor Protect which is priced at 3300 Rs for 500 Ml. Can experts comment.
I think the Friction modifier as it's name suggest is focused on reducing friction from the engine while Motor Protect is for overall engine goodness. That latter would also help in friction reduction but not as much, I guess.

I just placed an order for the Liqui Moly friction modified, it has some great reviews on Amazon too. Going to try it out on my 8 year old E60 520d.
Old 1st December 2017, 10:53   #26
BHPian

Hi,

I just came across this thread. I have used ceratec along with liquimoly synthoil 0w40 after using oil flush and my observations were positive so far. I have been using shell helix ultra 10w40 in my skoda Laura previously but during the last service decided to try liquimoly after reading the reviews on amazon. I have definitely noticed smoother and quite engine after about 100 to 200 kms of running. There is no noticeable difference in average, it's been the same. I get roughly 14 in mixed Mumbai driving. It's been around 3k kms since I've been using it. After reading the thread I believe the top tech liquimoly is the better one. Pls correct me if im wrong. Will try that on my other car next time along with ceratec/molygen
Old 4th December 2017, 06:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
I'm little confused on the product line of Liqui moly. There is 5w-40 Tot Tech which is priced at approx 1000 Rs Per Lt. Then we also have 5W-40 Molygen at around 825 Rs Per Lt & Synthoil 0W-30 which is priced at 1400 odd per Lt but gets available as deal price of 900+ Rs per lt. And lastly we have Leichtlauf HC & 5W-40 which is priced at 1250 Per Lt but is available at 960 Rs per Lt under discount. People suggest Top Tech as the best but why? Also Top Tech is mentioned as better for CNG/LPG.
For cars from the VW group, please stick to what the manual says in terms of VW oil spec. Going by that the Molygen is VW 505.00 and TopTec is VW 505.01 & VW 505.00.

The Leichtlauf line from LiquiMoly is Low friction oil as explained here.

Going by the LiquiMoly website:
  • Synthoil is the fully synthetic option.
  • TopTec is described as Synthesis technology - dont know what that translates to

Just going by that, I'd think the Synthoil range is the top of the line from LM which is probably why its the priciest too. However, I'm unsure of its applicability in a daily driver.

For example: Motul 300V is the best engine oil from Motul's offering. Having said that, I wouldn't run it in my daily rider because the oil doesn't carry a lot of cleansing and other agents like regular oil. You need to drain it by 1500-2000kms. Have to check whether Synthoil falls in a similar category.
Old 4th December 2017, 10:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post

Going by the LiquiMoly website:
[list]
[*]Synthoil is the fully synthetic option.
[*]TopTec is described as Synthesis technology - dont know what that translates to

Apparently synthetic technology doesn't have any synthetic content and is similar to a mineral oil. Attaching a list having different categories of oil, courtesy another tbhp thread.Review: Liqui Moly Oil in my Skoda Laura-imageuploadedbyteambhp1512364551.940426.jpg
Waspune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 09:41   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaravind007 View Post
Definitely, feel like its getting smoother & smoother everyday. The cost was Rs.4800/- for 5L.
How is the oil holding up? Recently I bought it for my Jetta. Yet to get the oil change done. Will share my feedback after few days of running.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
How is the oil holding up? Recently I bought it for my Jetta. Yet to get the oil change done. Will share my feedback after few days of running.

Did you get the oil changed? Hows the performance?

Most Viewed