Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 16:49   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Verna: Drive belt idler pulley has a melted surface

Hello bhpians,

A service center had diagnosed that the drive belt idler pulley on my 2008 Verna CRDI has a melted surface. Attached is a picture of that.

They are suggesting that I replace the idler pulley because that could cause the drive belt to snap, and as a standard procedural replacement of that pulley, I need to replace the belt and the tensioner, all of which would cost me 10k.

My question here is,
1) Could the inconsistent surface on the idler pulley cause the drive belt to snap?
Please note that the drive belt was replaced once within the last 2 years.
2) Does a replacement of the idler pulley necessitate the replacement of the tensioner and belt?
3) Should I ignore this and just inspect the belt regularly and replace that till it shows wear?

Regards,
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna: Drive belt idler pulley has a melted surface-idlerpulley.jpg  

Old 14th December 2017, 17:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Hyundai Verna: Drive belt idler pulley has a melted surface

The pulley being metal, is it melted rubber from the belt that has got stuck on the surface? In that case do check if that can be cleaned?

Curious to know how much the car has run? and was there any belt slippage or such that resulted in this?

Yes the pulley needs to be clean and clear for it work and not damage the new belt.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 17:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
They are suggesting that I replace the idler pulley because that could cause the drive belt to snap, and as a standard procedural replacement of that pulley, I need to replace the belt and the tensioner, all of which would cost me 10k.]My question here is

1) Could the inconsistent surface on the idler pulley cause the drive belt to snap?
Yes, a belt requires even surfaces to run on and it will cause strain on the belt fabric. I'd say replace it.

Quote:
Please note that the drive belt was replaced once within the last 2 years.
If a belt was replaced only 2 years ago there is something wrong with the pulleys, tensioner. Get them checked and you need to get damaged parts replaced. A belt break may cause serious damage.

Quote:
2) Does a replacement of the idler pulley necessitate the replacement of the tensioner and belt?
Possible, IMHO the belt train is likely to blame for the damaged 2 year old belt. Assuming there was no chemical or other fluid exposure.

Quote:
3) Should I ignore this and just inspect the belt regularly and replace that till it shows wear?
Nopes you are taking a major risk. I'd follow the technician's advice.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 17:39   #4
BHPian

It has run 95k, and the drive belt did actually snap last year, and was towed to the nearest ASS and replaced. The ASS was not able to determine the exact root cause of why the belt snapped, but the suspicion was that maybe a rock had got in between the belt and one of the pulleys. I don't think the car has done more than 15k after that replacement.

The belt shows no sign of wear, or melted rubber on it.

Could it be that the idler pulley which was on this was an aftermarket with black rubber on it? I had bought this vehicle when it had 65000 kms on it 2 years back.

After searching on boodmo I was able to find this, which I hope is the replacement:
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-pulley_idler-4573519/
Old 14th December 2017, 18:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Get a genuine part and replace it at a competent garage, let them check all the pulleys and wheels for any wear and tear or bearing issues. Then install a new belt and tighten to specification.

From the link you provided it seems like this part is some type of polyurethane material and has worn out in your car.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 08:06   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by micraft View Post
Could it be that the idler pulley which was on this was an aftermarket with black rubber on it.
Get a new belt and pulley from any MOBIS dealer in your city.

Check the other pulleys too on which this belt travels + their alignment. IMO the pulley shouldn't have a inward-outward movement.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 17:35   #7
BHPian

Thanks everyone.
There actually are no signs of wear on the belt currently.

Unfortunately I haven't noticed what the condition of the idler was 2 years back. But it has not been purchased from boodmo through that link, it was just for reference. I was planning on purchasing that which was half price compared to OEM, but I'm getting the vibe that the part is not reliable.

I'll get the idler and the belt replaced to be on the safe side. I just hope the tensioner puller does not need to be replaced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks