Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2017, 12:20   #1
Team-BHP Support

FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)

Introduction

Want parking sensors, but not the installation procedure (drilling holes, wiring etc.)? Here's an innovative product I came across that deserves its own thread.

If you go out to shop for a parking sensor system for say a Celerio or Swift, as an official accessory, you will get a 4 sensor system for about 4-5K with an LCD display. If you want something cheaper, for around 3k, you can get one with a digital display. This system uses a fair bit of wiring and sensors are placed on the bumpers.

The 'FenSens' system uses a couple of sensors which are placed on the number plate and are connected via Bluetooth to your smartphone. The mobile phone acts as a display screen whenever you want to reverse.

Frame houses 2 proximity sensors along with the battery and a Bluetooth antenna. A look at the basic sketch of the FenSens system:
FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)-3mm_bleed_eu_manualfensens_english_reallyfinal.jpg

In a country like India where even the badging on a car gets stolen, how are the sensors on the number plates safe? FenSens comes with a set of security screws. Only owners will be able to add/remove the system with the unique screwdriver. Also, the system has this anti-theft feature which allows it to work only with your phone. So, it won't work with any other phone if stolen. You can even track the system from your phone if your car/system is stolen:
FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)-sdadsadsdasdasdasdasd.jpg

Here's a look at the parts of the FenSens system. The battery in the middle lasts about 5 months. The Tap quick launch button shown on the right allows you to launch the app on your phone and use the sensors. You can place the button on the steering wheel:
FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)-fenense.jpg

For cars where the number plate is higher than 4 feet from the ground, the system is not recommended. Although, it is suggested that you measure the distance and adjust the clearance in the app accordingly for a better output:
FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)-warmningninfensense.jpg

One of the shortcomings that I felt was the range of the sensors. It is limited for sure. As seen in the image below, the objects which are short would be difficult to detect. So, you will have to make sure that there is no one behind while backing up:
FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)-combined.jpg

The display on your phone when you tap the quick launch button. You can have audio and vibration alerts as well:
FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)-displayfensense.jpg

There are different alert and account settings. Since only one person won't be using the app, the account holder can add different devices of friends and family who will then be able to use the system as well:
FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)-optionsfensense.jpg

Feasibility

It all boils down to this. Does FenSens make sense in India? At $150 (~Rs. 9,500), definitely not! There are cheaper options available in the market. Agreed that these options come with wires attached. But, if this saves 50%, anyone would learn to live with the wires. But, that's not the point.

What if this system was made in India? We think it could then easily sell for 1,000 - 1,500 rupees. Would be cool, no?

Last edited by GTO : 30th December 2017 at 11:28.
Omkar is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 12:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Technical Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 13:58   #3
Team-BHP Support

Very cool idea, but I think in the reality of day to day use I'd prefer an after-market wired system anyday...

Reasons:
- Dedicated hardware is always better.
- 2 sensors are too narrow in India's reversing conditions, and even when parallel parking close to a wall for example. Need 4 sensors spread out well.
- I hate bluetooth, and hate to think what might happen if there are connectivity issues whilst reversing.
- One additional button to press every time i reverse.
- Battery change every 5 months.
- Phone needs to always be mounted in a visible place (can't be in your pocket).
- Can you stream music via BT to your head unit whilst also being connected to this?

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th December 2017 at 14:06.
Rehaan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 18:25   #4
Team-BHP Support

Answering to some of your questions regarding the FenSens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
- I hate bluetooth, and hate to think what might happen if there are connectivity issues whilst reversing.
You will lose the sensor area display and the 'B' on top right turns Red. Usually green when connected.
FenSens: A parking sensor that connects to your phone (no wiring needed)-3mm_bleed_eu_manualfensens_english_reallyfinal.jpg

Quote:
- One additional button to press every time i reverse.
Can be useful while getting out of parking, if you have fitted at the front as well.

Quote:
- Battery change every 5 months.
It uses AA batteries. Couple Duracell batteries are easily available for 65 bucks.

Quote:
- Phone needs to always be mounted in a visible place (can't be in your pocket).
For a car without a head-unit, which is usually the case with cars without parking sensors, I think most people wouldn't mind it. The FenSens comes with a smarthphone mount.

Quote:
- Can you stream music via BT to your head unit whilst also being connected to this?
Again, most cars with headunits, would have a parking sensor system. This system is targeted towards cars which do not have the parking sensor systems (Mostly used cars or old cars).

Quote:
2 sensors are too narrow in India's reversing conditions, and even when parallel parking close to a wall for example. Need 4 sensors spread out well.
Totally agree on that. As the range image shows, the area covered is very less.

Quote:
but I think in the reality of day to day use I'd prefer an after-market wired system anyday...
But then again, the question is wouldn't a system with say 4-sensors be cooler if they are connected via Bluetooth? If locally made, it would be cheap I guess.
Omkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 22:55   #5
BHPian

I think it makes a lot of sense if there is a dedicated base unit that sits on the dash and gets charged from the sun. It could still be connected to the sensors via Bluetooth, but not needed to interact with the phone.
We over-use the phone today. A reverse parking sensor is a safety device and more so in India where even kids could be behind your car. Bluetooth is still a hit or a miss and who wants to open an app before reversing everytime? Great idea but not for me. Give me the same with a base unit, then I will consider it.

Btw, a set of 4 tyre pressure sensors + a base unit costed me about 3k ordered from AliExpress. So I think the cost could be a lot cheaper if mass manufactured.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed