Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2018, 10:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: After-market accessories causing electrical problems in my Vitara Brezza

When you install accessories please follow the guidelines:

a) NEVER splice or cut the OEM wiring loom

b) ALWAYS use a the appropriate sized wires based on the expected maximum load. Add a 20-50% margin and size the wires to be on the safe side.

c) ALWAYS use a fuse when tapping directly to the battery terminal for power. This is done only when necessary for e.g. when installing aftermarket accessories that draw more power than the OEM wiring loom can handle OR if the wiring loom does not have a provision for the add on accessory. Common accessories are ICE amplifiers, horns, headlamp bulbs. Some require a relay (commonly called a 'cut out') if you use the one of the wires in the factory loom as a signal wire. Again horns and headlamps bulbs or fog lights are good examples.

D) DO NOT treat wiring connections as a child's job. Wires are supposed to be connected using spade/ring/butt or other connectors that form a positive connection to the other part of the circuit or load. Yes, there are things called 'butt connectors'. I am not kidding you. Butt Connectors Loose connections cause additional power drain and can cause sparks which lead to a fire. The higher the current draw the more essential it becomes to use connectors and not simply join 2 wires. I prefer to use a crimping tool for the job. You get two types, the ratcheting and non ratcheting. The former are the best but more expensive. They deal with two types of connectors insulated and non-insulated.

OEM looms wire gauge (and alternator/battery) are selected based on the expected load of running OEM accessories only. After market accessories add to those loads so it is best you have an auxiliary loom to handle it.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th January 2018 at 10:55.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 13:17   #17
BHPian

Re: After-market accessories causing electrical problems in my Vitara Brezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I got a second-hand ECU from a total loss car and got my car repaired at a friendly FNG. Always, monitor what the local accessory shops do.
I was tempted to go for this option and a friend even promised to arrange an ECM and get the job done for 15k instead of the 44k that I paid to Maruti but in my case, I still have 3 years of warranty left (extended warranty 2+2) So, I had no choice but to opt for the authorised service centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
I have a heavy duty ICE installed from Motorconcepts Delhi (I am not advertising and I am in no way linked to them)
I too was in touch with Motorconcept and had finalised the plan to get my car iced from them after reading rave reviews. The "prominent" shop mentioned in my post is Motorconcept itself I was quoted Rs. 50k for the job but then the ECM went kaput and all my plans came crashing down.

But, I do plan to visit them maybe few months later after I have sorted my finances. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Last edited by captain.torque : 11th January 2018 at 13:21.

Most Viewed