Team-BHP - Flat Shift
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Flat Shift (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/19462-flat-shift.html)

I did a search on flatshift but didnt get any result, so I am posting my query.
First of all I know the consequences of not using clutch, but this is related to flatshift.

How can I implement flatshift without moving my leg(?) In this case is there any need for clutch? Can we use flatshift without clutch at all?
If no,
Can we downshift(using flatshift) without clutch at all? If yes, does retarding the spark alone will achieve this?

I hope my questions are not too confusing. basically I want to know whether I can upshift/downshift without using clutch USING FLATSHIFT?

IS clutch necessary for both upshifting and downshifting?
Pardon me if this sounds really absurd....I just want to clear my doubts.:)
Thanks for replying

Hi Reddevil,

Incase you wanna read some more, check out the thread linked in this post. Might provide you with some more info.

Quote:

How can I implement flatshift without moving my leg(?)
Im not too familiar with flatshift, but isn't that the point of it? ie not having to move your leg (on either accl or clutch).

Isn't flatshift only for sequential gearboxes ?

cya
R

Isn't flat shifting, shifting gears when the box and the engine are almost at the same rpm, without using the clutch. I've done it a few times and its for some really lazy driving. Its quite easy on a petrol and I used to do it on my gypsy. Really difficult while you are revving though!

gurus please help me!! actually i tried doing this on my baleno but could not do it.. can someone explain how to do it step by step in detail???please:

Flat shifting is same as power shifting.

thnx for ur reply....

My basic question was is it necessary to use clutch while upshifting/downshifting given that I am gonna use flatshift for a racecar which has dog tranny.

Searching all through the net for a day I found my answers to most of the questions related to flatshift(actual implementation, not just theory).
Now here's what I am gonna do: For upshift when driver presses paddle-> retard/kill ignition->rpm drops to match revs-> activate shifter.
For downshifting: full brakes->rpm drops a bit->blip throttle & press downshift paddle-> rpm matches->activate shifter.
This is assuming that driver is gonna downshift ONLY during cornering.
There is no need to cut ignition for downshifting.

So according to this setup, there is no use of clutch!!!
I am telling once again that this is for a racecar and NOT for normal roadcars.

I would really like to get feedback about this from you guys.
Thanks once again.:)

hey rehaan that thread is awesome! great info...cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddevil (Post 335762)
thnx for ur reply....

My basic question was is it necessary to use clutch while upshifting/downshifting given that I am gonna use flatshift for a racecar which has dog tranny.

Hi Reddevil,

Sorry for not replying earlier.

Now that you have made it clearer, yes, you are on the right track.
There is no use for the clutch except getting the car moving from a standstill! (unless you wanna push start)

Glad you enjoyed the thread i linked to, it was one of those good technical stuff discussions.

Quote:

For downshifting: full brakes->rpm drops a bit->blip throttle & press downshift paddle-> rpm matches->activate shifter.
In this case no need to blip throttle, as activating the shifter should do that...right?

Now tell us a little more about the project you are working on ???

cya
R

Here's something on flat shift - Geartronics - Flatshift

Shan2nu