Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 23:03   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: HID & LED headlamps - Are they really as good as claimed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Don't you think if yellow and red penetrated more, fog color would be blue just like the sky which is blue due to Rayleigh scattering
It would, if the light emitted from the headlamp has the intensity and neat wavelengths of sunlight. Even if it did, the blue color fog would be observed by a guy standing nearly perpendicular to the car, not by you inside the car or a guy standing straight ahead of the car. Same goes for why stop and caution lights are red and amber - they are the best wavelengths within human vision range, that can remain atleast somewhat aligned to the original direction of light throw from lamp, when observed from a distance through fog.
Old 23rd January 2019, 23:33   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
?? Very strange! i have looked for the blue fog, but cannot find it
due to Rayleigh scattering
Totally unrelated phenomenon to what we are discussing. The sun's light is pure white which is a combination of all colours. Basic school stuff. So unless you have a mini nuclear fusion thingy going on in your headlamps that produces pure white light energy (and vaporizes everything else around it!), your search for blue fog would be fruitless!
Old 24th January 2019, 01:11   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Totally unrelated phenomenon to what we are discussing. The sun's light is pure white which is a combination of all colours. Basic school stuff. So unless you have a mini nuclear fusion thingy going on in your headlamps that produces pure white light energy (and vaporizes everything else around it!), your search for blue fog would be fruitless!
Well what about daytime fog. Shouldn't that be blue then?
And what about clouds, why are they white and not blue

but lets say you want to believe that yellow or red penetrate fog better. For that to happen, the droplet size in clouds and fog should be of similar wavelength as blue light for blue to scatter and yellow/red to not

So google wavelenth of light, and size of water droplet particles and then check

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
It would, if the light emitted from the headlamp has the intensity and neat wavelengths of sunlight. Even if it did, the blue color fog would be observed by a guy standing nearly perpendicular to the car, not by you inside the car or a guy standing straight ahead of the car. Same goes for why stop and caution lights are red and amber - they are the best wavelengths within human vision range, that can remain atleast somewhat aligned to the original direction of light throw from lamp, when observed from a distance through fog.
you are talking two different things. One is human sensitivity to light, which is highest in the green-yellow range. so yes blue light will illuminate the roads less as far as human eye is concerned. That is why 7000k headlamps are useless

Second question is does yellow light scatter less? Well it does not. Fog water droplets are too large for wavelength of visible light to have a meaningful effect

Lastly, coming to "Red". Red light preserves night vision. If stop lights were white, your night vision would die.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 24th January 2019 at 01:13.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 09:59   #64
BHPian

Folks. Need help. Bought an Innova Crysta GX recently with halogen headlamps separate for high and low beam. I'm not satisfied with the light at low beam and it always feels inadequate. GX doesnt come with projector lamps. Pls advise best option to bring more light to the low beam without compromising on original assembly, hazard to oncoming traffic, fear of reflectors getting burned out, warranty issues, etc.
Old 17th November 2019, 12:07   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Folks. Need help. Bought an Innova Crysta GX recently with halogen headlamps separate for high and low beam. I'm not satisfied with the light at low beam and it always feels inadequate. GX doesnt come with projector lamps. Pls advise best option to bring more light to the low beam without compromising on original assembly, hazard to oncoming traffic, fear of reflectors getting burned out, warranty issues, etc.
Install a pair of good bi xenon HID projectors, both your high beam will be increased and low beam will get great too without causing glare to others.
Old 17th November 2019, 12:31   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post

See my post with pics on on Philips LED. They have newer models too. No heating or wiring issues only quite expensive at 8k. Crisp lighting edges on older model but bit diffused in latest reflectors. Request all to avoid high beams and horns.
Old 20th November 2019, 12:57   #67
BANNED

A shade OT. I replaced the fog in my Civic with 3000K HIDs. Brilliant. I may add that 2700K may have been better
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 23:17   #68

Hello Everyone. I am new to the forum, however do read up and follow the thread and articles put up since quite some time.
I have a question.. I have a Polo 2016 model and it has been 4 years since the purchase. Primarily the car was used by me for driving in the city. Though I felt the headlights were inadequate even then it was still manageable. Even since a few months I have been doing highway drive of 180 kms in the night to get back home from work during the weekends.
My question is:
What headlights are the best in terms of performance?
HID/LEDs or HID/halogen or HID/LEDs combinations for night driving on the highway.

The car probably will be with me for another two years so wouldn’t want to spend too much on the headlights.
Old 24th May 2020, 00:23   #69
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb11 View Post
I have a Polo 2016 model and it has been 4 years since the purchase.

What headlights are the best in terms of performance?
HID/LEDs or HID/halogen or HID/LEDs combinations for night driving on the highway.
I presume the Polo you have is equipped with dual-barrel headlights so, I'll suggest you get HID projectors fixed in the low beam barrel and leave the halogen high beams as is. Get a 35W HID ballast + 5500K D2S bulb with a relay harness. You can look at Morimoto projector retrofit kits for the same.

Do NOT upgrade/switch to LED bulbs in a halogen reflector equipped one, lighting spread will be bad.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 00:33   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I presume the Polo you have is equipped with dual-barrel headlights so, I'll suggest you get HID projectors fixed in the low beam barrel and leave the halogen high beams as is. Get a 35W HID ballast + 5500K D2S bulb with a relay harness. You can look at Morimoto projector retrofit kits for the same.

Do NOT upgrade/switch to LED bulbs in a halogen reflector equipped one, lighting spread will be bad.
Thanks. However with the onset of monsoon will the HID be a good bet? Since everyone was saying that the HIDs don’t do well during the rains.
Old 24th May 2020, 01:07   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks. However with the onset of monsoon will the HID be a good bet? Since everyone was saying that the HIDs don’t do well during the rains.
You can look at 4500k range bulbs which won't be much of an issue in rainy season.

I am currently running on D2S 4.0 kit with 5500k bulbs in 50W ballast. Waiting for delivery of the 4800k bulbs.
Old 24th May 2020, 01:28   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You can look at 4500k range bulbs which won't be much of an issue in rainy season.

I am currently running on D2S 4.0 kit with 5500k bulbs in 50W ballast. Waiting for delivery of the 4800k bulbs.
Thank you.
What kind of cost (approx) am I looking at?
Old 24th May 2020, 04:16   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you.
What kind of cost (approx) am I looking at?
Roughly between ₹24,000 - ₹26,000. These projector kits are universal that can be removed from the car and fit into the next one you buy. Check my thread for all the other details - Link to thread.

It shall be a easy MOD in your case and should be done in a day mostly.
Old 24th May 2020, 07:45   #74

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2020 at 07:23.
seb11 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th May 2020, 07:53   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
As most HID's/LED's are 4300K and above, Halogen should perform better in real world? Take my case, I have an Innova Crusta with Quad beam Halogens and are fantastic. Only thing I don't like is they are yellow! If I am to upgrade, should I consider a better Halogen or LED's? There are plenty of halogen options available which offer improvement from 60-150%.
At any given time our faithful, primitive, long lasting halogen lamps are the best.
Although they consume lot of power from battery, which can be seen and observed if a amp meter is fixed,.
Now the cost,, they are quite economical as compared to rest of the lot.
And the BEST part is they are MADE IN INDIA.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks