Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2018, 09:59   #16
BHPian

re: Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced

This is really scary. I keep taking out my compass on the highways and do decent speeds, can't even imagine what would have happened, if something like this broke of at those speeds. Relieved that nothing is happened to anyone & the owner was able to stop the car safely.Hope Jeep identifies the issue and rectifies it fast, so that nobody gets hurt.

I have had my set of niggles & in my interactions with their customer care team / service team, I found them to be pretty responsive. I hope the owner has already taken it to their notice and they are handling it appropriately. Jeep's response to this incident, will be something to watch closely. I just hope, that they don't make a mess of it.
Vishnuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 10:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

This is quite concerning for the customer and for the manufacturer this is like an extreme negative publicity, especially for a brand/company which finally is in the process of getting a foothold in the market.

And it really puts a question mark on FCA’s tall claim on the Compass being a true global SUV – or it maybe that all over the globe the Jeep SUVs can leak or fall apart!

This was the statement from Kevin Flynn last year; wonder how this is passing QC in markets like Japan and UK.

Quote:
Vehicles made in the Ranjangaon plant will be exported to Japan, UK, Australia, South Africa and other RHD markets.

Flynn said the Compass is a true global SUV, "We are not trying to deliver Indian car destined for India trying to make it work in the global market. We are offering a global car made in India. The car to be exported to Japan or UK will be the same as the one sold in India in terms of quality," he added.
Quote source
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 10:05   #18
BHPian

That is shocking to say the least! Fiat should be taken to task here as this seems to be a manufacturing or assembly defect. A defective part or a loose assembly of a pin seems to be the cause.

Your friend should write to Fiat India and demand compensation and not just repair work.

Keep us updated.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

So this is what could happen to a brand new 20L+ vehicle from an internationally renowned manufacturer while usually we keep on becoming very apprehensive about the issues of new models launched by the domestic companies! Must be out rightly shocking for the owner to see something like this happen while on his way back from the showroom after taking the delivery!! Not to mention the possible fatal consequence had it been at higher speed. Whether the Indian customers don't deserve a better QA/QC procedure in the assembly line or something is sacrificed in the name of cost cutting need to be seen. All said and done, this is least expected in a vehicle like Compass and I am sure this is going to dent the reputation of the model and the brand as a whole in its early days of operation in India. If they are at all bothered, they should replace the vehicle with a new piece to the owner, do a thorough background check to give a detailed explanation of the mishap and take the necessary corrective action to prevent any such thing in future.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:18   #20
BHPian

I did come across this story on my Facebook feed yesterday evening. It seems that the owner had taken delivery from Mahesh Fiat Guwahati (the only Fiat/Jeep dealer in Assam) & was on his way to Duliajan (560 km from Guwahati).

The roads are 4 lane (in good condition) up to Nagaon Bypass (130 km from Guwahati) & after that 2 lane starts. From the photos & the owner's description it seems that the incident occurred just after Nagaon Bypass. I drove in this route last week & there is nothing on the road (pothole, expansion joints) that could have caused this incident unless the car went off the road. I am almost certain that it a manufacturing defect or someone forgot to tighten something properly.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 1st February 2018 at 10:24.
chiranjitp is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 10:19   #21
Team-BHP Support

A new BMW X1 had a very similar issue as this Compass:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...r-day-1-a.html (BMW X1 xDrive20d M-Sport: Suspension / driveshaft failure after speed-breaker on day 1)

Edit: just saw it's posted already. Keeping for a while as it might get missed out.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st February 2018 at 10:20. Reason: to be deleted later
Old 1st February 2018, 10:27   #22
BHPian

This is horrific and glad that your friend came out unscathed. I know that this may piss off many new Jeep owners in India. But Jeeps and in general FCA products are known for their notorious problems here in USA. They score very poor on reliability ratings especially the Jeeps and Chryslers. Electronic gremlins are the most common issues. But when it comes to India, we can see more issues because of our poor quality checks. Lets wait for sometime and see the complete picture of this Jeep in near future.
hema4saran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 11:39   #23
BHPian

This is a fault from Jeep's side (maybe some nuts and bolts weren't bolted tightly from the factory which gave way after a couple of hundred kilometers) for sure and I hope Jeep owns it and does the needful. These kind of incidents can dent a manufacturer's brand equity and Jeep is still in its early days in India.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 12:17   #24
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Wow a close shave that is!

Seems like the wheels have popped out of the lower arm, this can be either due to a defect of the parts or improper tightening. Scary experience for a brand new car.
To be honest and at the risk of repetition , I would reiterate that Jeep and FCA have come up with a substandard product as far as reliability is concerned. There are too many incidents of Oil leakage and now suspension failure is something which is unpardonable.

My prediction is that once the updated Creta , New Tata SUV and the Vitara are launched in India, Compass is going to go down like a rock unless something is done to improve the reliability.
Shwet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 12:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

2 things:

1) FCA is taking customers hard earned money, passion for granted and putting their life at risk
2) FCA should have some sense of responsibility when they are advertising the Jeep Compass stating it is not only made for India but also made in India! People overseas will have a negative perception for those products that are built in India supporting Make in India campaign if they carry the tagline of reliability issues.

Highly disappointing to see a premium brand stooping down in terms reliability.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 12:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
Posting on behalf of friend, Jayanta Phukan.

First dealership beating customers and now this. What is Jeep India up to?

Well, you missed out few other incidents like:
- Poorly painted body Panels (Major)
- Condensation/Fogging in the lamps (Minor)

It is looking like Jeep QC is not really ahead of it's Indian Rivals Tata and Mahindra, as it initially appeared to be.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 12:51   #27
BHPian

I would suggest Mr. Phukan to sue the company for delivering cars without doing proper quality checks prior to leaving the manufacturing plant. If possible, don't accept part replacements in the same car as maybe, that particular batch of cars have quality lacking in other parts too.

Also if I was Mr. Phukan, I would have dragged in the showroom folks in the process. There is also a chance that the showroom drivers have damaged the car during transit from their warehouse to the showroom.

If nothing works, then appear in front of the consumer forum as the last resort. Hope this helps. All the best.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2018 at 23:04. Reason: Language
souvik25 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st February 2018, 13:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

I submitted the team bhp link for this news on Jeep India facebook page and within about 15 minutes, it was deleted and a message was sent to me that my comment has been marked as Spam !

Ridiculous !
i74js is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 14:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
I submitted the team bhp link for this news on Jeep India facebook page and within about 15 minutes, it was deleted and a message was sent to me that my comment has been marked as Spam !

Ridiculous !
Utterly disappointing! Errors/slips happen but how you deal with them defines you and this is where these manufacturers in India fail so miserably. FCA, by doing this, has lost my respect forever. And yes, as some of the fellow members mentioned, the owner should sue FCA for delivering a defective and potentially life threatening product. Enough of their disregard for Indian consumers..!
Old 1st February 2018, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Well, you missed out few other incidents like:
- Poorly painted body Panels (Major)
- Condensation/Fogging in the lamps (Minor)

It is looking like Jeep QC is not really ahead of it's Indian Rivals Tata and Mahindra, as it initially appeared to be.
No new Tata car has been reported to suffer from a mechanical failure that could endanger life. Yes, they may have niggles related to slightly scratched plastic or minor issues in the power window (not good, but not fatal either).

Mahindra is also good when it comes to mechanical reliability. The irony is that Jeep is considered to be a "premium" brand. They would have been banned had this happened in another country.
Nissan1180 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks