Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced

Good for Jeep that they are giving a new vehicles.

However, I hope proper trouble shooting will be done and shared publicly. Without that, it cannot be said to be a problem that happened only on one or two Compass vehicles. Can OP try to get that information from the owner of the vehicle ? Its very rare issue and usually never happens in auto industry unless the vehicle meets with an accident or some mechanic screws up his work.

Last edited by srishiva : 2nd February 2018 at 11:16.
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Just read the latest update by the owner in the original poston Facebook :

Attachment 1723152
Screenshot taken at 09:43 AM today

Would appreciate if OP could get more details from the owner
We Indians clearly lack on close looping. It's sad to see people shout their lungs out when things go wrong (and rightfully so), but at the same time, fail to appreciate the quick and positive turnaround. Not only in this context, but in general as well. Like they say, you do 100 things right, nobody bothers, you do 1 thing wrong, and all hell breaks lose. Would've been nice if the guy in question here had promptly updated his FB post highlighting the action taken.
ironshark is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:28   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The new & current model also seems to have the same type of pinch-bolt type setup, (Ref picture No.3 in OP's post). The previous generation jeep compass had a lot of people complaining about lower arm and ball joint, from noise to excessive wear.
Thanks for pointing that out, here's the annotated version of the same.
EDIT: Just saw this, Mr. Boss's post here also pointed this out.

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184605.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Ball joint popping off cannot be due to improper screw, right ? There is a tear in the metal after the joint and wish if the part towards the wheel was also provided in detail.
Now I really need to tend to my car's lower arm issue :(
Well, you do see the pinch-bolt still in place in the photo above, but usually there is a castle nut (with a cotter-pin) on the other side. No way for us to really tell, but if that's missing/not tightened, the ball-joint could come loose. The torn metal like thing on bottom right of the image is probably the deformed splash guard for the rotor.

Since this is a fairly simple assembly, and the top part of it still seems to be attached -- you can see the strut/damper + lower v-fork still attached to the knuckle -- this does point to a failure in the lower part of the assembly.

Many people already know this, but just for the record, the drive-shaft (CV-axle) is connected to the gearbox just via splines + spring ring/snap ring. The other side (i.e. the wheel side) is screwed to the knuckle/hub using a large nut. So, if the lower ball joint does fail, it is not surprising to see that the driveshaft popped out on this compass.

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-15.jpg

Last edited by Amartya : 2nd February 2018 at 11:41.
Amartya is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 11:51   #49
BHPian

I do empathize with the owner who had to face this with a brand new car (3 hrs old). But I don't understand the harsh reactions of the members of this forum for one off failure and with no reports of any other similar failures. Yes, there is a defective vehicle delivered to the owner but this doesn't mean that company is producing sub standard cars and has serious quality issues.

Every organization tries to be 100% defect free but achieving that is next to impossible. They are not able to achieve it for aircraft let alone passenger cars.

It is easy to be an arm chair judge and pass on verdicts like "they should be stripped of their COTY award" or "One should never buy Jeep car" are outrageous. Be patient see how the company reacts to the failure and then give your thoughts.

P.S. - I don't have any affiliation to Jeep. Also, I don't own a Compass or plan to buy one in near future.
ferrarirules is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:34   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
If possible, the COTY on Compass should be retracted, retroactively. Though this would be without precedent, it would shed the right light on FCAs attitude. Such a move would do more good than harm - by the way of negative publicity making them sit up and take notice, rather than making others buy a defective product.
Yes, by now, it has become a fitting case for withdrawing COTY award for the Jeep Compass immediately.
Muniswami s
smuniswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:40   #51
BHPian

This is exceptional after sales support by Jeep. Providing a new vehicle so soon was unheard of in India. I doubt even Maruti, the supposed king of customer satisfaction would have provided a new vehicle, that too so soon without letting the customer undergo agony for months together.

This actually highlights how pathetic the customer service of 'premium' 'luxury' brands in India is, as we saw what happened when a similar defect was seen in a 'German engineered' BMW X1. The owner never got a new vehicle. Kind of ironic that FCA India, known for their poor service handled it way better than a 'premium' 'luxury' brand.
theredliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:51   #52
BHPian

Its very kind on the part of FCA to have agreed for a replacement. However lets not praise them so early. It has to be seen how soon and smoothly do they provide the new vehicle to the owner. It would be super cool if they could do it in less than a week of the accident.
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:16   #53
BHPian

From what I read it seems that Jeep is ready to exchange the vehicle, however it is nothing to boast about. This is India which is why they will get off easily by replacing the vehicle while earning themselves some free publicity, had it been some first world country, they would have had to sell one of the plants to compensiate for this kind of negligence. An accident like this endangers a life & only in India lives are this cheap.

FIAT, if exchanges the vehicle without any ifs and buts, it is nothing to be proud of, this is the least they can do.
Engine_Roars is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:24   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Just read the latest update by the owner in the original poston Facebook :

Attachment 1723152
Screenshot taken at 09:43 AM today

Would appreciate if OP could get more details from the owner
Thanks for sharing this . This is quite commendable that FCA has agreed to replace the car but it would be interesting to see "how" they do it. By doing this honorably, FCA would restore faith in lots of current and potential customers.
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:28   #55
BHPian

Reading thru 4 pages of this post made me wonder: why are we so quick on pouncing on anything negative? Are we too much influenced by the new channels which broadcast nothing but negative news?

On this forum i have seen members getting worked up especially when issues are reported with the word "Fiat" in them and all hell brakes loose and its free for all.

fiat does deserve some of the flak, but not the amount that is heaped on them IMHO

This entire episode is bitter sweet.

Bitter for the customer that he had to undergo such a horrible and potentially dangerous situation with a brand new car.

Sweet coz the company (FCA) agreed to replace the compass and not just repair it.

My humble request to other fellow forum members is to always look at both sides of the story before jumping to conclusions.
ant_vas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Reading thru 4 pages of this post made me wonder: why are we so quick on pouncing on anything negative? Are we too much influenced by the new channels which broadcast nothing but negative news?
The negative sentiments are justified because this is not the case of a headlight switch failing or some other minor niggle. The suspension broke. It could have been fatal. Sadly, no public agency will investigate what went wrong, no one will bother to check if there is a potential safety threat and the company might end the discussion by simply replacing the car. What might have cost them a few millions in a developed market cost them just a few thousand dollars here.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 2nd February 2018 at 13:58.
Nissan1180 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:10   #57
Senior - BHPian

I think, we should consider this as one rare case. I do empathise with the owner, who had to face this kind of issue with a brand new car. FCA is ready to replace the vehicle with a new one, it is a good news. I think its a happy ending.

By the way, I came across something similar on our Team-BHP forum, with BMW X1. X1 was just one day old and suffered suspension issue. Have a look.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-day-1-a.html
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:28   #58
BHPian

The gesture from the FCA is uncharacteristic of car manufacturers from India; they may get some popularity gain, but it has to be appreciated as it happens in India without much effort from the end user!
Old 2nd February 2018, 15:04   #59
BHPian

Looks like there will be a happy ending here:

https://www.cartoq.com/like-a-boss-j...nsion-failure/

Jeep India has just announced that it would replace a customer’s brand new Compass SUV after it suffered suspension failure. This proactive move from the American SUV giant is quite unprecedented in the mass market segment in the India, and will go a long way in retaining the goodwill the brand has here. W
Old 2nd February 2018, 15:09   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post

On this forum i have seen members getting worked up especially when issues are reported with the word "Fiat" in them and all hell brakes loose and its free for all.

fiat does deserve some of the flak, but not the amount that is heaped on them IMHO
Firstly, I don’t think its anything to do with a negative bias against FCA or Fiat in general. This is the car which won the Team-BHP COTY by a big margin – the members who voted did not show any bias because it’s a Fiat. All the votes it received are by its merits. The 4 pages of comments I believe are mostly from those who want the Compass to be a success (because of its merits) and not by those so-called anti-Fiat brigade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas
This entire episode is bitter sweet.

Bitter for the customer that he had to undergo such a horrible and potentially dangerous situation with a brand new car.

Sweet coz the company (FCA) agreed to replace the compass and not just repair it.
The entire episode now can be termed as bitter-sweet because the mishap was not fatal and the owner survived to receive the so called replacement car. What if this issue caused a life or some major injuries? No replacement would have been good enough then.

IMO the noise here is extremely justified so that the Made-in-India export quality model completely live up to the hype and stay on as a success.
vb-saan is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed