Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2018, 18:50   #1
BHPian

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced

Posting on behalf of a friend, Jayanta Phukan.

Yesterday, I had taken the delivery of my Jeep compass at Mahesh Motors Guwahati. On the way to Duliajan near Nagaon, the car broke down. The co-passenger side's front wheel with drive shafts came out from the car and I somehow managed to stop the car. It's a serious safety issue! Multinational companies are selling such poor quality products in India which may cause fatalities. I drove the car for just 3 hrs / 172 kms. Looking forward for your suggestions on what to do!

Manufacturing defect?

First dealership beating customers and now this. What is Jeep India up to?

Attached Thumbnails
Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184600.jpg  

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184603.jpg  

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184605.jpg  

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184607.jpg  

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184611.jpg  

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184614.jpg  

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184618.jpg  

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184621.jpg  

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-fullscreen-capture-13118-184625.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2018 at 22:54. Reason: Typos
mayanksabharwal is offline   (94) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 18:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Wow a close shave that is!

Seems like the wheels have popped out of the lower arm, this can be either due to a defect of the parts or improper tightening. Scary experience for a brand new car.
Jaggu is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 19:13   #3
BHPian

Really feel bad for the owner.

I’ll stick with what I told my colleague last day. "Plans to buy Jeep, wait for another 6 months"
Scorpion 10 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 20:00   #4
BHPian

If I remember correctly a similar incident had happened with a brand new X1 in Jamshedpur, few kms after the car was delivered. There is a tbhp thread for that.
Waspune is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 20:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

From the images it looks like lower arm detached. From the damages guess that it happened at low speeds, would have been catastrophic at high speeds.

Though the reason was not similar and not concluded, it reminded of a Duster accident few years back.

Link

Last edited by mpksuhas : 31st January 2018 at 20:35.
mpksuhas is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 21:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Seems like the wheels have popped out of the lower arm, this can be either due to a defect of the parts or improper tightening.
Absolutely on the money. I've seen this design before where the lower ball joint (on the lower control arm) is pinched to the knuckle via a through bolt. If that bolt fails (or is not torqued correctly), the knuckle can easily pop out and lead to the CV-axle popping.
Here's a diagram showing an older Jeep Compass with a similar design.

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-lower-ball-joint.jpg
Amartya is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 23:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Though the reason was not similar and not concluded, it reminded of a Duster accident few years back.
Shall we assume this issue too would go that (not concluded) way? It is certainly very early to judge, but we all know this; it is simply impossible for a modern vehicle suspension to fail like this, unless there's a very serious lapse of concentration in the assembly line.

There could be another reason or multiple reasons.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 23:22   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
If I remember correctly a similar incident had happened with a brand new X1 in Jamshedpur, few kms after the car was delivered. There is a tbhp thread for that.

Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...r-day-1-a.html
Waspune is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 23:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Horrible! Jeep will throw away all the goodwill they have received recently with the launch of the Compass with such QC issues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
True. That was very eerily similar (happened on delivery day as well) and BMW did provide full repair and extended warranty on the car. Hope Jeep takes note and takes fast action on the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Reminded me of the Ecosport incident, but both these incidents were caused by external damage. This case seem to be different as nothing is in sight that could cause such catastrophic damage. Infact, it looks like the path of the wheel is visible since it broke and came off, and looks to have happened somewhere in the middle of the road - not at the edge or boulder.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 00:17   #10
BHPian

Scary

Nothing in the picture says that the car was mishandled and the fact that driver was able to control the car proves that the speed was also low. Mechanical failure, like this, in a brand new car is unacceptable.

Going by this and also other problems reported by owners, I guess Jeep is skipping some QC processes to meet the high demand.

FCA; We can wait for new features, keep launch of Diesel AT in back burner for time being, forget the trailhawk for now, AND focus on delivering niggle free cars in coming months.
Moto_Hill is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 07:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanksabharwal View Post
Posting on behalf of friend, Jayanta Phukan.

Yesterday I have taken the delivery of my Jeep compass car at Mahesh Motors Guwahati. On the way to Duliajan near Nagaon the car broke down the co_passenger side front wheel with drive shafts came out from the car and I somehow managed to stop the car. It's a serious safety issue. Multinational company are selling such poor quality products in India which may cause fatal. I drove the car for just 3 hrs/172kms only. Looking forward for your suggestions what to do!!!!

Manufacturing defect?

First dealership beating customers and now this. What is Jeep India up to?

This reminds me of this incident - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...page-11-a.html .

The Compass doesn't look like to be traveling at higher speeds but one can see the scrape marks on road in 1st snap. It could very much be a part failure as the roads seems to be wide enough and no culvert near the site. Moreover, the tyre hasn't hit the fender or there are no external injury marks. The tyre must've come off at slow speeds and the driver was able to steer and stop it to the side. I hope FCA India does a thorough investigation and comes out with a proper justification rather than blaming the customer which the companies often do.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 1st February 2018 at 08:06.
BoneCollector is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 08:40   #12
Team-BHP Support

Owner has tweeted about the incident on Twitter and the post seems to be spreading fast on social media. Hope Jeep India takes note ASAP and resolve the case to the owners satisfaction.

Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced-screenshot_20180201083539.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 08:42   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced

Thanks for sharing, Mayank! Glad your friend got away safe. Moving your post to a new thread as the issue needs to be highlighted.

As much as I love the Compass, I have to admit - there is not a single new car on which I have seen so many reports of niggles & problems. Not even a Tata or Mahindra launch. Clearly, there are quality issues with the Compass which Jeep must address as a top priority.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2018 at 08:44.
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 08:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Absolutely on the money. I've seen this design before where the lower ball joint (on the lower control arm) is pinched to the knuckle via a through bolt. If that bolt fails (or is not torqued correctly), the knuckle can easily pop out and lead to the CV-axle popping.
Here's a diagram showing an older Jeep Compass with a similar design.

Attachment 1722655
The new & current model also seems to have the same type of pinch-bolt type setup, (Ref picture No.3 in OP's post). The previous generation jeep compass had a lot of people complaining about lower arm and ball joint, from noise to excessive wear.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 09:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

re: Suspension failure on brand new Jeep Compass. EDIT: Vehicle replaced

Jeep Compass never failed to prove my belief in Jeep. It is a Jeep - no matter how comfortable one wants to feel thinking it is not the "Jeep" Jeep. I still think Jeep will never be a reliable car to own and must be sold with a 10 year warranty for me to even touch any Jeep in this country.

Sorry for the ordeal, and hope they do not play the user error card and screw up even the after sales service.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2018 at 10:06. Reason: Poorly typed post
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks