Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2006, 22:23   #1
BHPian

Fuel Filter

When is the right time to change the fuel filter?

I got 120K km service done on my OHC VTEC. Though I had no problem which would make me feel that the filter was due for replacement but I got it changed just as preventive step.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Everytime you give your car for regular service, fuel filter & oil filter can be changed i.e every 5000kms. Thats what i do.
Old 12th December 2006, 15:17   #3
BHPian

The service schedule lists it should be changed every 40K km. And since it costs around Rs. 1400 it'll just double the price of regular service if I got it replaced everytime.

I wonder if we are talking about the same part?
Old 12th December 2006, 15:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Everytime you give your car for regular service, fuel filter & oil filter can be changed i.e every 5000kms. Thats what i do.
esteem_lover, I don't think you need to replace the fuel filter every 5K kms. It is the oil filter that is replaced at those intervals (is it every 5K kms for Esteem ? For the Baleno it is every 10K kms) along with the oil change.

The fuel filter for the Baleno is good for 40000kms after which it should be replaced, as per the manual.
@pankaj, check your car's manual for the exact replacement schedule.
Old 12th December 2006, 16:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
For the Baleno it is every 10K kms) along with the oil change.
Even its same for Swift (service at every 10k kms), but the mechanics suggested to get it serviced every 5k kms. I asked them why it is required, when the manf itself suggest to get it done at every 10k. They asked me to take a look at the state of oil after running 5k kms and then decide.

Since it's not going to cost more than 2k, iam planning to get it serviced at every 5k kms.
Old 12th December 2006, 16:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj401 View Post
When is the right time to change the fuel filter?
It depends. Normally will support upto 15k kms in our company maintainted OHC.

Last edited by Surprise : 12th December 2006 at 16:08.
Old 12th December 2006, 17:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

surprise, are you spending 2k to service fuel filter? i changed my fuel baleno fuel filter for 350rs. it was a sgp item. prices have dropped to very much affordable leveles, its also a simple job to do if you want to do it your self. now i think mgp comes for 600rs. i got it on discount from prakash auto
Old 12th December 2006, 18:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
surprise, are you spending 2k to service fuel filter? i changed my fuel baleno fuel filter for 350rs. it was a sgp item. prices have dropped to very much affordable leveles, its also a simple job to do if you want to do it your self. now i think mgp comes for 600rs. i got it on discount from prakash auto

Oops sorry. I was mentioning about the total cost of the car service. i.e: As per the manual service needs to be done at regular interval of 10k kms. Since it's going to cost around 2k, I have decided to do it at 5k kms intervals.
Old 12th December 2006, 18:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy
its also a simple job to do if you want to do it your self.
I agree. Changing fuel filter is a pretty simple task that can be done by ourselves - atleast it used to be on my old M800, never had a reason to change it in the Baleno.

However, changing the "oil filter" needs special wrench and expertise to get it right. If only it was also as easy - I would have loved to change the oil and oil filter myself.
Old 12th December 2006, 20:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

since i always change oil myself, i can tell you it is also a simple task and when done by yourself you get more life out of new oil.
what the service guys do is open the drain plug drain out oil then remove oil filter and instal new one, may be he will apply a coat of oil on the seal in new filter and put it back then as soon as he sees that oil flowing out of engine has come downn to trickle he will close the drain and refil oil and finish.
when i do. first i put in a bottle of flush and run it for 3-5 min in idle and the open the drain and once it has come to trickle remove filter. leave the car for some time (hour) till all the old oil can come. then refil and close as normal what i notice is that even after 1k km of run the oil colour is nice to see but that of service center has already gone brown. when you ask him he says its normal. when this task is repeated three to four times you will find that oil remains in its colour for longer time.
to change oil you need a jack, a ring or box spanner , a oil filter wrench and a tub, funnel, rag pieces and a mat or rug.
after running the flush shut down, jack up the opposite side of car from drain plug open the drain and let it flow out. once done take rag and hold the oil filter and unscrew it. normally it should come out. else use the oil wrence. if it is jammed, poke in a large screwdriver with hammer into the filter and turn it.
rest is understood.
Old 12th December 2006, 20:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, with the service centre, we are not even sure whether he is actually changing the oil or what quality oil is used, the quantity etc.

Thanks for the tips, gigy. I would love to do this myself and also I am a more hands-on kind of guy (used to do quite a lot of repair / maintenance on my old car, which is not required on the new car). The only thing that kept me away was the lack of tools (oil filter wrench) and the expertise which I thought was crucial to removing and fixing the filter.
Old 12th December 2006, 20:33   #12
BHPian

I've never got the Fuel filter changed in my 65 K + clocking..! But never missed any service or oil change.
The Lancer Fuel filter has a small nut on top from where the fuel goes into the injectors, This can be opened with the Pneumatic Drill the Service workshop uses to free the Tyres, Just open the valve and run the engine on Standy by and any particle, Any Bad fuel flows out..!(Of which has been rare, although I did once drain black fuel for 5 seconds)

I have got the injectors checked over regular periods, but always found them clean as per the showroom, The only Low performance problem was because of a dirty throttle. Also Have always used clean fuel pumps at Sethi's Nehru Place and R.D.Motors ( HP Pump) at sarita vihar..!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 12th December 2006 at 20:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks