Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2006, 23:30   #1
ECM
BHPian

Spark Plugs in Baleno..

This thread I wanted to post yesterday and when today I was searching net just few minutes back saw a post from Samurai on this thread in google http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...t-mileage.html

Well my Baleno is 2002 make and old timers know how much FE it gives me(I proved it to maruti people when they came to replace my Cam shaft sensor and that thread of mine is already exists in this very forum).Y'day I decided to change my spark plugs as I thought it is the time to change them though I had no probs what so ever in my car.I hence told my MUL Mass to provide me 4 nos.of original SGP Denso make plugs for replacement.While they were replacing them I was present and I saw that they were adjusting the gap in plug.Recommended gap is .7-.8 mm as per the service book given with the car(just open yours and check this) but before they plugin the plug into my car I asked them to give me my old plugs to see what gap they were having and to my very surprise I saw a narrow gap in all 4 plugs(old ones)and it was .4!!! I insist that I want the same gap in my all new plugs and not the one advised by MUL because I am getting super FE in my car.THey first told me sirji,use the gap advised by officials I told them no sirji I want .4 mm only.They agreed and put new plugs, I shall post results of this new change of plugs in next week as far as FE goes after having say 200-300 kms run with these new spark plugs with old gap.Right now car is running like before,no visible changes.Only one thing I did and that was I cleaned all cables connections- connecting to the caps and 2 boxes given above plugs as a routine.
Samurai I am repling to your post on 27th Dec.2005 here(check the link I posted above) I do feel that one should try this .4 mm gap and check the results for FE.btw my tyre pressure is ALWAYS 30psi recommened by MUL for my Baleno and I shift to 5th gear when my speedo shows 40-45 Kms/Hour.
-------------------------------------------------
Spark plug gap:-
The spark plug gap is set for various reasons. The larger the gap, the more time the spark spends in the combustion chamber and offers that much more time for the mixture to ignite. When the hi-tension voltage is low for some reason, then the temporary remedy is to reduce the gap so that the spark can jump the gap.

Last edited by ECM : 12th December 2006 at 23:33. Reason: Editing to throw some lights different gap in spark plugs
Old 14th December 2006, 21:06   #2
BHPian

Dear ECM,

When I fitted my LPG gas kit my dealer too narrowed spark plug gap......he said by this it will improve Fe as well as performance in LPG........this they tested in hundreds of vehicles & found useful.......even when someone new who has not done retrofitting from his workshop comes with any problem.these people simply first used to check the plug gap.....

Also when I used ngk iridium plug with normal gap I didnt found much difference but then I made gap narrower & found good result......I also checked that with too much narrow gap firing is not good.....

Infact narrowing the plug gap is the one of the technique to improve FE.....

Check Point no. 4 ....http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/ultra5.htm

Enjoy......
Old 15th December 2006, 11:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning View Post
Infact narrowing the plug gap is the one of the technique to improve FE.....
Does this have any effect on throttle response and performance ?
Old 15th December 2006, 12:33   #4
ECM
BHPian

shuvc
Though you addressed this query to F.T but I feel no difference in my Baleno and get THE BEST FE(check my old msgs of how much I get )without ANY prob what so ever.Try this narrowing gap,disconnect battery for for 2-3 mins,have a run for say atleast 200 kms and then refill the tank because your ECM/ECU will set itself with new datas and on next refill count FE and see the difference.This you can do if you are not satisfied with FE you get.
Dear FT thanks onceagain for providing one more useful link from your library,have added it to my favs.
Note:-I never used LPG in any of my car till this date.

Last edited by ECM : 15th December 2006 at 12:36.
Old 18th June 2007, 02:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Was leafing through the Baleno manual. These are the spark plug specs.

Champion - RC8YC, MICO - FR6DC4 - BSIII
Champion - RC8YC, NGK - BKR6E - BSII

Why mention BSII & BSIII separately ? What would be the difference between the MICO & the NGK ? Is this NGK platinum ?

I had a brief discussion with the service engineer. He said they normally use MICO / Champion - costs around Rs. 50-60 each. But they also have a NGK option for around Rs. 260 each.
Old 18th June 2007, 03:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

@ECM exact opposite happened with me,my CNG installer reduced the gap on the the spark plugs in my car he said it is done on all CNG cars.

This time when i visited my mechanic(not CNG installer)i asked him to increase the gap to oem specs and the effect was visible on first drive now on the same tune the car runs better on CNG,the mileage on CNG and Petrol (it was a big issue after gap was reduced)is better.

The car now returns 10+kmpl in same conditions under which it returned 8.XXkmpl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks