Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2018, 14:00   #46
BHPian

Re: My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required

UPDATE: 106,000 KMS

After a while, I spend some good whole week back at my hometown - while my dad did a couple of updates to the car in the meanwhile.

1. NEW ICE: So the car now sports a new silver box and the led screen - I still do not justify my dads investment of 20K on this but this is all brand new now.

2. Vaccum Modulator: The replacement had done remarkable difference to the cars performance - literally drives like the way it drove when we bought the car.

3. Engine Noise: My ecosports engine noise good sweeter post the new engine, while the XUV got a lil louder post the overhaul - though not anywhere near my Ecosport - it is just a bit more louder than before.

QQ : This time I was back home in my cousins Innova, and happened to follow the my XUV5OO on a normal drive. I saw black smoke coming out from the exhausts , Anything to be worried ?

I am getting the emissions tested, just curious on whether there are things I should be concerned about.
Old 26th December 2019, 12:34   #47
BHPian

A quick update on 1,20,000 when the car went in for its 1.20 L service

There was a leak identified from the area where the chain is in, and this requires the engine to be pulled down and the sealants to be changed.

The labour itself is 13K and I see the service may come to close to 8-9K.

The service guy, whom I trust (fingers crossed) advised me to do the same, and this time back to Pothens Mahindra's newest and probably the states largest service centre.

He also advised me to change the timing chain, since we have removed the cover by pulling the engine down, and he suggested that any future work on this would add the same about the cost.

I have agreed to all, and now post the vehicle has gone in for test drives, he updated me about the check engine lamp and they suspect a faulty turbo?

This is the brand new turbo which now is walking into its second year - any advice on these?
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2019, 14:26   #48
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Went through this thread today. Goo to know that your car is back on the road.

The First batch of XUVs were not niggle free at all. A family friend had to let go of his first batch purple XUV too because of engine problems. The replacement was an XUV W10.

One thing I can corroborate with my experience with Renault is that they too never respond in writing. Everything is communicated on the phone or through the service center personnel after acknowledgement of the customer's written complaint.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 12:11   #49
BHPian

UPDATE: Looks like the Vaccum Modulator is not the culprit, they say it is the Turbo. And the Mahindra Tech says it may not be sorted with an overhaul since - there was no smoke or no oil consumption - it looks like it needs a replacement. Any thoughts on this diagnosis?

Meanwhile, Mahindra wants to give me goodwill on the Turbo which is being replaced. However, the total communication has been through the SA, and am waiting to hear directly from Mahindra tech support.
Old 7th January 2020, 12:34   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
UPDATE: Looks like the Vaccum Modulator is not the culprit, they say it is the Turbo. And the Mahindra Tech says it may not be sorted with an overhaul since - there was no smoke or no oil consumption - it looks like it needs a replacement. Any thoughts on this diagnosis?

Meanwhile, Mahindra wants to give me goodwill on the Turbo which is being replaced. However, the total communication has been through the SA, and am waiting to hear directly from Mahindra tech support.
Overhauling turbos is not a good idea to be brutally honest with you. It doesn't work most of the times. The impeller inside the turbo has an oil chamber behind which in turn has an inlet and outlet for oil. Oil is pumped at a high pressure which lubricates the impeller shaft and then drains from the outlet side.

If the shaft or any washers have gone bust, oil will leak onto the intake or exhaust side of the impeller and go into the engine or exhaust. Result will be the same. Black smoke and oil level drop.

If there is no symptom of such a failure, then it might be the VGT fins that might not be opening correctly or something wrong with the EGR system or the actuator. Get the turbo opened and checked. If the impeller shaft and impeller is in good nick, look elsewhere.

Is your turbo causing excessive noise like a police siren or whistling noise?

If they agree for Goodwill, just change the whole turbo assembly. If they don't, open the turbo and check it thoroughly.

Last edited by vishy76 : 7th January 2020 at 12:36.
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post

If they agree for Goodwill, just change the whole turbo assembly. If they don't, open the turbo and check it thoroughly.
The fact is, I never had challenges with my Turbo before I dropped that to the service centre. It was post - the oil leak work that the ENGINE LAMP pumped up.

I am going in for the goodwill and would look at getting the car out the soonest.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 17:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post

Little OT:
Hi Vishy,
I experience mentioned noise in my jeep fitted with Di turbo engine which i believe is simplest turbo available in the market. There is also oil leakage from from engine -> Turbo plumbing from turbo side.
Although there is not much white smoke or decrease in performance.
What could be the cause?

PS: BTW, i am enjoying that whistle sound and just completed a 1500 kms road trip with whistling engine

Regards,
Shubhendra
Shubhendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 16:13   #53
BHPian

Now that my vehicle is being fitted with the turbo, I plan to collect it on Monday.

Couple of quick things I noticed with Mahindra Service this time is:

1. Pothen's is the only Mahindra dealer in the city as TVS has rumoured to have shut down due to low business.
2. They took time to source units, as I feel they have stopped stocking even basic stuff. Cost-cutting maybe.
3. Mahindra was trying to push my case to the dealer to handle while I have a not so official confirmation from the dealer on Mahindra goodwill support.
4. The customer care head Mr Saniesh vaguely spoke to me with pleasuries and never spoke anything on the vehicle - looks like I am low priority or their attitude changed from last time though.

I am waiting for how things would be in person.
Old 20th January 2020, 13:47   #54
BHPian

Update:

With I hopes, I reached the service centre on Saturday, 18th to track the progress - but nothing seems to have moved.

Despite the assurance from the Customer Care head, there has been no action.

This is despite my car being there for over a month.

I quickly tweeted my challenges, and somehow they seem to act upon it. Today (Monday) on talking to the dealer, they said the part is coming down and the work should be done today itself.

Once that is done the delivery should happen tomorrow.

On my question on the meeting with the Area Service Manager, it seems he will also come down for the delivery of my car.

Twitter did wonders when compared to my personal attempt to meet all of them.

One thing pending is Mahindra's explanation. Fingers Crossed
Old 20th January 2020, 15:16   #55
BHPian

You have experienced exactly what I experienced with my Manza, though the engines are not the same on both the vehicles.

I had dropped my car at an FNG for engine overhaul and they did the job in 6 days. After this overhaul, I drove at very low RPMs but when the run in completed I was shocked to find a 60% decrease in power!

I took it to TATA guys and they told me to replace the turbo.
Now after thinking a lot took my car to my trusted FNG and he fixed it in 100 rupees!!
It was just that some pipes were not put properly i.e. intake pipe put in output and vice versa!
THE_DRIFTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 20:12   #56
BHPian

UPDATE

I am not sure whether this requires another thread but this requires sufficient attention though.

Last week I got a call Mr. Bijesh who somehow sourced my number based on this specific post about my XUV5OO's engine overhaul, stating about a similar instance he went through but for a car which is still within warranty.

To summarize, one evening while he was driving down his XUV5OO W8 back from office, faced a sudden reduction in power and he parked the car on to a service road and waited for the RSA to pick his car.

At the MASS - Pothen's Mahindra, he has shared a diagnosis of faulty valves expected damages to his pistons, rings, bore etc.

However, on opening the head they do not seem to see any issue there and are recommending, head and valves replacement + engine overhaul all free of cost since its covered under warranty.

For me - I am still trying to figure out why open the engine block and MASS does not seem to have found any issue with the engine in itself.

As an owner of the car Bijesh is quite puzzled and is struggling to get through all this given that his car is still within warranty. He feels his car deserves a new heart given that the engine head has been opened within warranty and he is not sure of an overhauled engine in a less than 5 year old car.

I too feel the same, and I suspect something not right from the MASS / Mahindra Customer Care given the way they handle the issue.

If there is anyone who can help me guide Bijesh based on his notes below, will be of great help.

Thanks

BIJESH's email to me
------
Vehicle Details:

Make: Mahindra XUV 500 W8(Automatic)
Mfg. Year: 2016
KM done: 117239
Extended Warranty: Yes (5th Year)

All the services have been done at MASSs. The car is on stock clutch, stock suspension, and no engine work.

Last service: 110000 KM service at Pothens Ambattukavu on 27th Aug 2020.

TimeLine:

02-Dec-2020: I was driving back from office at around 7.30 PM as usual when I felt a sudden dip in engine power. I checked for engine warning lights and Low fuel indications, but none was ON. There was more than half tank fuel as per the fuel level meter. Since it was a busy intersection that I was driving through, I stopped the vehicle 100 meters away from where I felt the power loss to a side road. I then called my regular SA at Pothens Mahindra, Ambattukaavu who advised me to check for warning lights and gave the contact details for RSA. I rang RSA and they gave the link to locate my vehicle and identify the nearest MASS (Pothens Mahindra, Cheranalloor).

Within 40 minutes the RSA team came and since the car was inaccessible for the towing truck, they drove the car to a wider section of the side road where I had parked. Even though the car was barely starting, the engine repeatedly going on and off, the RSA guys drove the car for around 50 meters to the wider section. Then I noticed white thick smoke coming out from the exhaust as well. Only later when I saw the towing truck, I realized that RSA guys were not MASS employees, but some 3rd party towing service team. They then took the car to Pothens Cheranalloor.

03-Dec-2020: Next day morning Service Advisor from Pothens Cheranalloor called and informed me of the receipt of the vehicle and that they would update me about the issue after inspection. Afternoon, I called back to check for updates and got the response that they would start inspection only by evening. Later that day, I called my regular SM from Pothens Ambattukavu to inform him about my vehicle.

He contacted the SA at Cheranalloor and put me on a conference call and asked them to provide a status update on the vehicle condition. SA from Cheranalloor said they suspect a faulty injector to be causing the loss of power and that they would replace it next day and give an update.

04-Dec-2020: Uneventful with no updates from the SA.

05-Dec-2020: Received a call from the SA at around 11.00AM and informed that they tried replacing the injectors and turbo charger, to no avail. He also informed that the compression pressure at all cylinders were around 230PS and that it was very low and that they need to dismantle the head to do more investigation. I asked the SA not to dismantle the head and instead escalate it to M&M from their end as the vehicle was on extended warranty. Around 11.30 AM the SM from Pothens Cheranalloor contacted me and insisted on dismantling the head which I refused straight away. I then visited Pothens Cheranalloor to take documents and personal belongings from the car and insisted the SM again to escalate the issue to M&M keeping me in Cc.

06,07,08-Dec-2020: No updates from the SA.

09-Dec-2020: I called the SA since it was quite some time that there were no updates from Pothens, and got the reply from SA that they were instructed by M&M to dismantle the engine and send it to some other centre (which the SA referred to as "Lathe") for expert analysis. I rushed to the SC and saw my engine getting dismantled. I took some pics of that. The SA also informed that they are dismantling the engine upon advice from M&M ASM Jithin Babu. I asked the SM at Pothens to share the contact details of ASM, which they provided.

I called the ASM to enquire about the SOP for such cases, he informed me that the Standard Warranty Procedure would be followed in such cases. He also informed that the complaint is probably with the valves and that the head needs to be replaced if found so. To confirm this theory, they wanted to do the expert analysis at the above said "Lathe". I further asked if there was a problem with the engine block portion, what steps would be taken. To which he replied that in that case a decision would be taken based on the warranty policy. He ensured that the engine would be handled under M&M expert supervision and that there would not be any issue whatsoever. Mr Jithin also promised to provide me with a standby car for the interim period.

10,11-Dec-2020: No Updates from the SA.

12-Dec-2020: I was on an official visit to Kannur, when at around 12.00PM I called the SA to ask for updates regarding the vehicle. He said that all valves are damaged, and they need to disassemble the piston and rings to check for damages. He also informed me that someone from M&M will contact me to keep me posted about the issue.

13-Dec-2020: Sunday, Uneventful.

14-Dec-2020: Did not receive any calls from either the SA or from M&M team. So, I tried to reach out to the SA, but my call went unanswered. At around 9.00PM received a call from SA who informed that M&M has asked not to give any direct feedback to me and that M&M team themselves would provide the updates.

15-Dec-2020: No updates from the SA. I tweeted tagging M&M and Anand Mahindra regarding my unfortunate experience. This I believe did not go well with the Pothens team.

https://twitter.com/BijeshMg/status/...205035011?s=20

16-Dec-2020: I called the SA around 4.00PM to enquire about the vehicle. He replied that the engine was examined by experts from the machine shop and confirmed that there is no damage to the engine block portion including the piston and connecting rod etc. and that replacing the head would fix the problem. I also asked him about the Standby car that was promised (as in earlier calls), to which he replied that the same model car (XUV500) is not available and they are waiting to get the same. I then visited the SC around 6.00PM to discover shockingly that the engine was lying on the vehicle bay floor supported on an old tyre. The area was dusty, and the engine was lying near the door exposing the cylinder, piston head and the housing for the timing chain to the elements. I took some snaps of the same.

17-Dec-2020: I messaged ASM Mr. Jithin over WhatsApp explaining my plight and about the non-availability of a Standby car even 2 weeks after the initial issue. I also sent him the pictures of the engine being mishandled by the Pothens team. He replied that work is in progress on the engine and parts have already been ordered for the fix and that they have already approved the standby car the same day (09-Dec-2020) itself. He also mentioned that Pothens GM would contact me before 10.00 AM and the car allotted before EOD.

I asked him if the manner in which the Pothens team handled the engine is as per M&M standards, to which he replied that engine dismantlement will be done as per M7M guidance through virtual medium and M&M team will be monitoring all progress (which I doubt they really did). Around 11.00AM, I received a call from the SA informing that the Standby car is ready and that they can hand it over to me. Since I was travelling to Palakkad, I requested them to hand over the car to my wife at Cochin, which they initially refused saying that the policy does not allow so. Around 6.00 Pm when I started my return from Palakkad, I called the SA again about the standby car and upon requesting multiple times, they agreed to deliver the Standby car to my wife. They provided me with a rundown Toyota Innova in a very pathetic condition, that it feels cringy to even get inside the vehicle.

18-Dec-2020: I had contacted many friends of mine who have worked in the Automobile industry and other MASS’s, informing them about the mishandling of my engine at Pothens. All of them replied that service centres would have special rooms for engine maintenance and that engines would be worked upon only on these designated areas. They also told me that never would the engines be rested upon unbalanced supports like tyres on open areas prone to dust and that it would always be covered with some protective covers. Having lost my confidence in the Pothens team, I contacted ASM Mr Jithin and asked for a full engine replacement as they had mishandled my engine. To this, Mr Jithin replied that all repairs are being done as per technical guidance from M&M team and according to warranty policy full engine replacement cannot be given because they did not find any damages in the engine block.

Furthermore, I asked if there was an engine room at Pothens and if so, why my engine was left opened in the vehicle bay area without any protection. To this he did not respond much and tried to move away from the subject and informed that Mr Sajith GM service at Pothens would give me a call. Mr Jithin assured me that all proper M&M guidelines are being followed and experts are supervising the case and that the vehicle would be delivered in perfect condition. I then asked Mr. Jithin about the possibility of extending the warranty for 2 more years, which he rejected citing that M&M policy only covers maximum till 5 years. I also asked them about the possibility and cost (bearable from my end) for a complete engine replacement. To this he replied the virtual supervision team inspected the engine block, cylinder, piston & rings and all values are within limits and there is no need to replace any components. I then asked him if it is possible to inspect all these without disassembling, to which he replied that "limits' can be checked and more details will be shared by Sajith GM.

Half an hour later Mr Sajith called me apologizing for the experience I had at Pothens and as a helping gesture is ready to replace the piston and rings without any expense from my end. Upon asking about the engine being placed on top of a tyre at the vehicle bay area, he said that this was done to take photos of the engine at different angles as requested by M&M. He also said that the dismantling was done at the engine room.

I then asked him to show the CCTV footage of the engine movement within the bay and the engine room, to which the reply was that the CCTV setup was only being installed in the facility and no prior footages are available. I refuse to believe his claims and rejected his offer and demanded that the engine be replaced. He agreed to contact M&M on this and get back to me.
-----------------

For me, this is quite surprising as Mahindra offered the same engine overhaul for a car post Warranty and even within Warranty if it is still going to be an overhaul at the MASS, why take an extended warranty?
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 21:38   #57
BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE
I am sorry that I did not add any further updates on this particular issue, even though this isn't my car, I felt this particular story needs attention as I suspect some wrongdoing from the side of the dealer here.

Given the fact that I am not at the workstation and as I am sharing the story narrated to me, I am collating the content shared by my friend so that he could get help from the forum.

Few things he raised include and on which I also got shocked was -"A faulty engine within warranty does not get a replacement?"

Then what is the point of warranty in the first place?
Old 6th March 2021, 10:31   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are pics of a 2016 XUV500 engine that apparently suffered loss of coolant. No other details are available but the odo read 1,39,800km. One piston(cylinder #2) is totally gone and two others have scoring marks on them. The cylinder head looked quite good to me.

Engine block just after cylinder head removal
My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-xuv500_engineblock_asis.jpg

Cylinder Head bottom - note the imperfection over cylinders 2 and 3
My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-xuv500_cylinderhead.jpg

Piston#2
My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-xuv500_piston2.jpg

The other 3 pistons - note the scoring marks
My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-xuv500_pistons.jpg
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 15:00   #59
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:

3. There were leakages around the engine area - where he even showed me the areas - pipes etc which were drenched in Oil and it all looked soaked in Black Oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

The problem is really with continuous small leakages. You might not notice until it's too late, unfortunately. Which does hammer home the point of checking your oil level on a very regular basis and looking for signs of oil leakages.

From the description it looks this might have been going on for some time/mileage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Jim,
The workshop guys need to figure out what exactly was the cause of oil leakage/loss.
Because a 1Lac kms run properly maintained engine will not leak oil from rings.
Hello peterjim13 and fellow team-bhpians. I came across this thread only recently while I was posting a thread on repeated oil leaks in my 2018 XUV. I have detailed my experience with Mahindra regarding the issue in this thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...my-xuv5oo.html (A bittersweet experience : Mahindra team steps up to solve recurring oil leak issue in my XUV5OO)

However, reading through this thread, I shudder to wonder if my XUV is also going down a similar route. 4 episodes of oil leak, over a span of one year, a separate location each time. From turbo O ring to engine front cover packing to timing chain cover...the only good thing is the improvement of my automotive lingo, but I would rather have another way of doing it. My recent tryst with Mahindra was rather pleasant and they have offered all their support should anything go wrong. But this thread has come as an eye-opener for me, to say the least. I will surely be going for an extended warranty. Is there anything else that I can do in this scenario?
GKR9900 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 15:41   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Is there anything else that I can do in this scenario?
I read your story on the other thread, sorry to hear. It is very unfortunate. At least you seem to be getting quite decent support. Count your blessings as they say.

It is a mystery why an engine would develop these random leaks over a period of time. There is not much you can do. It doesn’t make sense to pro-actively start replacing stuff. Where to begin? On the upside, a small oil leak is a pain, but apart from very rare cases, it should not stop you enjoying your car. Some cars, certainly older ones, tend to leak/weep a bit of oil permanently. You learn to live with it.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks