Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 12:02   #1
BHPian

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required

Though I have been reading the threads regularly, it has been quite some time since i have commented on here.

Now since I could not find any specific thread, I am adding this here - probably where I feel there are more readers (hoping that I could get some advise).

My 2012 - W8 running on 98 K was taken to my nearest MASS - Pothens Mahindra - In Cochin yesterday. I had actually missed my scheduled service on November for 100,000 as I was out of country for a while. As usual my dad dropped the car with me before his travel for the service. I had recently did a Munnar drive - 2 weeks back.

I never felt anything on the car - as it drove normal, I had even got the vehicle inspected by TVS Mahindra - where I had a small running repair - they even charged 500 Rs for the full check up.

To the topic : LOOKS LIKE MY CAR NEEDS A HEART SURGERY

NOTE : I am not an Automobile / Mechanical Geek - so I may not be able to reproduce the exact automotive lingo, so I shall briefly explain them - so that you could help me.

I dropped my car for regular service and of course + Checking the Timing Belt + My rear Brake Pads and Disc which are probably in their last few 1000s + my rear LH Passenger Door lock - which malfunctions at times.

The person whom I spoke to has been working in the industry within the same umbrella of Pothens group handling - Honda, Tata and Mahindra for about 18 years (of course thats what he said).

He gave a call in the evening telling me that - there is something serious with the vehicle and he suggested me to come visit the ASC so that he could explain what has happened.

According to him :

1. Before they drained they had checked the engine oil level using the level checking rod (the yellow one) just after switching the ignition off and they could see the engine oil boiling and blowing out of the same.

2. There is Engine Decompression - what I understand the engine oil level which was expected to be at 6 Litres was just 1.25 litres when they drained.

3. There were leakages around the engine area - where he even showed me the areas - pipes etc which were drenched in Oil and it all looked soaked in Black Oil.
--------------------------------------

4. He told me that the areas which need major repair would include the Turbo, (Turbo could be just overhauled and need not be replaced)

5. Engine has to be opened to assess the damage - and all the components which needs replacement has to be sourced from Mahindra.

6. Of course the brake pads has to replaced - while we could still live with the ones in front.

He also gave a rough estimate of Whooppinggg 1,50,000 INR. Which is something very big for a repair. But he also mentioned that the exact figures can only be arrived upon post a detail inspection.

I have given consent to remove the head so that they can dig deeper into the engine and find out the cause.

He also recommended to sell the car in the condition and look for something new - if we are not keen on spending so much on a used car.

Added to this, he said once the work is done - it would be as good as new, and we may have restart the regular 1000, 5000 service intervals.

Fellow Bhpians, I am a bit disapointed with my misfortune and I know for sure that this is not a regular issue - but it is just for me. He even told me stories of Tatas, Hyundais, and even BMW's which needed these works.

I hope you could suggest the way forward - I am sure that I can add more information post the detailed assessment on Thursday. And shall add photos as well.
peterjim13 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 12:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 niggles & solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post

According to him :

1. Before they drained they had checked the engine oil level using the level checking rod (the yellow one) just after switching the ignition off and they could see the engine oil boiling and blowing out of the same.

2. There is Engine Decompression - what I understand the engine oil level which was expected to be at 6 Litres was just 1.25 litres when they drained.

3. There were leakages around the engine area - where he even showed me the areas - pipes etc which were drenched in Oil and it all looked soaked in Black Oil.
--------------------------------------

4. He told me that the areas which need major repair would include the Turbo, (Turbo could be just overhauled and need not be replaced)

5. Engine has to be opened to assess the damage - and all the components which needs replacement has to be sourced from Mahindra.

6. Of course the brake pads has to replaced - while we could still live with the ones in front.

Something doesn't add up. If there was only 1.5 litre of oil in the engine you should have definitely got low OIL pressure warning. Did you also notice OIL leaks in your parking area, XUV has an Engine Guard but OIL leak of 4.5 litres should have definitely made some marks.

I would suggest take a second opinion at a second authorized service center.Even if engine needs a rebuild, I am not sure If Pothens has the expertise as they are new into Mahindra Service.
S5157 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 12:33   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S5157 View Post
Something doesn't add up. If there was only 1.5 litre of oil in the engine you should have definitely got low OIL pressure warning. Did you also notice OIL leaks in your parking area, XUV has an Engine Guard but OIL leak of 4.5 litres should have definitely made some marks.
Thanks for this.

Very true, could this have happened over a period of time ?

I have not noticed anything on my apartment parking, as the place is a bit cramped to notice oil leakage - largely because we never got a look at the parking without the car.

And of course - no low oil pressure warnings on the vehicle as yet - no lights on the console !

Quote:
I would suggest take a second opinion at a second authorized service center.
Of course, yes. I am obviously gonna look into TVS as well as the previous service head from KTC to advise here.

Quote:
Even if engine needs a rebuild, I am not sure If Pothens has the expertise as they are new into Mahindra Service.
I thought they have been doing Mahindra Service back in Trivandrum for quite some time. But I shall only give the go ahead, post I get some word from people.
Old 13th February 2018, 16:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily. This is the problem with having only oil pressure sensors. Very few cars have oil level sensing. As long as there is sufficient oil left to fill the oil pump it will build up pressure and thus no low oil pressure warning.

Without rubbing it in, but the fact remains that once you have a low oil pressure warning due to low oil level your engine is likely to have experienced some severe wear and tear.

If you suffer a major oil leak where the oil will disappear in a matter of minutes it's ok. You get an oil warning within minutes, that's unlikely to have caused any real problems.

The problem is really with continuous small leakages. You might not notice until it's too late, unfortunately. Which does hammer home the point of checking your oil level on a very regular basis and looking for signs of oil leakages.

From the description it looks this might have been going on for some time/mileage. The compression is gone most likely because the piston rings wear quickly without sufficient lubrication. You are experiencing blow by where part of the exhaust gasses leak past the pistons (as the piston rings are now worn). So you have hot exhaust gasses blown into the sump. Heating the oil, and contaminating the oil even further, which adds to the wear and tear.

If you know what to listen for, you might have heard some unusual sounds. One problems for most owners/drivers; this is a gradual process, so over time/mileage certain small sounds might develop and your ear/senses become accustemed to it gradually and you don't notice it so much.

The decompression (worn piston rings) can usually be felt in lack of performance. But again, unless you regularly floor the accelerator and give it the beans, you might never notice. Start/stop city driving is not the best place to notice such a problem developping.

I'm not sure why they believe they have to overhaul the Turbo though.

Good luck, this sounds like a big repair job, no matter what.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 16:03   #5
BHPian

Just to get a clearer picture on the issue I just had the Service Personnel share an estimate from them along with a brief diagnosis.

I have asked them to put the work on hold, and wait for further instructions - as someone I know who has worked with Mahindra suggested to check out TVS and also to try checking with Mahindra Service Heads also.

I have put this issue across to Mahindra Regional Service head and based on the update from the service personnel, they have received an inquiry from the SH to share details of the same.

Quick thing as the fellow bhpian notified was that - there was no warning lamp on the low oil level whatsoever. So I am just going to wait here, and be a bit cautious.

I have in the meanwhile procured an estimate from ASS also adding their preliminary diagnosis. My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-estimate-1.png
Name:  Estiamte 2.png
Views: 10228
Size:  293.5 KB
Old 13th February 2018, 16:29   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

...I hope you could suggest the way forward - I am sure that I can add more information post the detailed assessment on Thursday. And shall add photos as well...

I have given consent to remove the head so that they can dig deeper into the engine and find out the cause. ......
Jim,

Sad to hear it man. Please feel free to call me regarding this.

The way forward: BEFORE opening the engine head. The workshop guys need to figure out what exactly was the cause of oil leakage/loss. Even with only 1.5 liters of oil, the engine 'might' survive without major issues. So, opening up the engine isnt mandatory.

The way I see it, the turbo bush might be shot, causing oil to be burnt with boost from manifold. But, since you mention oil 'wetness' a ruptured pipe might also be the issue.

In any case, before opening up the engine, you SHOULD ask the workshop guys to pinpoint the oil leakage point. Because a 1Lac kms run properly maintained engine will not leak oil from rings. And also since you've seen 'wetness'.

Once you find out the point of the leak, we will take it further from here.

Quote:
That's the main issue with today's vehicle sensors. As far as Oil Pressure sensor is concerned, till the time the oil pump has oil to pump, the warning won't light up. That may not be until the last few millilitres. That's also one reason why you should open the bonnet and check oil "level" every weekend for "turbo" vehicles.

Turbo vehicles, if turbo bush is blown, will eat up oil in no time without any telltale signs.
dhanushs is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 17:47   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Turbo vehicles, if turbo bush is blown, will eat up oil in no time without any telltale signs.
Well, it depends; if the oil leaks into the intake manifold rather then the normal return into the crankcase you are likely to see a lot of very blue smoke coming out of your exhaust, continuously, more pronounced when you rev and or load up the engine.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 19:45   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, it depends; if the oil leaks into the intake manifold rather then the normal return into the crankcase you are likely to see a lot of very blue smoke coming out of your exhaust, continuously, more pronounced when you rev and or load up the engine.
With tailpipes stuck neatly under the bumpers, not always will you see blue puff's of smoke. Maybe when you throttle it, load the engine up in the highways in low speeds. Otherwise, if the vehicle is primarly used in the city, you will not notice oil getting burnt up and level reducing unless you manually check the dipstick.

My Tata Manza which is sold now was consuming oil at ~1L @1000kms , with no smoke when driven under 2.5k kms. Fixed the problem with 'supposedly' a blocked breather pipe (Not sure what they fixed!).
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 11:42   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily. This is the problem with having only oil pressure sensors. Very few cars have oil level sensing. As long as there is sufficient oil left to fill the oil pump it will build up pressure and thus no low oil pressure warning.
This was confirmed by the service guys. He said the sensors wont go off untill there isnt sufficient pressure.He said the warning might come on only at about may be less than 100 KM to drive.

Quote:
The problem is really with continuous small leakages. You might not notice until it's too late, unfortunately. Which does hammer home the point of checking your oil level on a very regular basis and looking for signs of oil leakages.
This looks to be the case. But here with an engine guard on top as well as a stone guard on the base, it would be very difficult to see - even if I check for oil leakages regularly.

Quote:
From the description it looks this might have been going on for some time/mileage.
I had a clutch cover change back in August. This has to be done by removing the under body stone guard - shouldnt they have noticed this then ? Or is August too early for the same ?

Quote:
The decompression (worn piston rings) can usually be felt in lack of performance. But again, unless you regularly floor the accelerator and give it the beans, you might never notice. Start/stop city driving is not the best place to notice such a problem developping.
I was in Munnar / Marayoor last week. Which is about 320 KM drive in total around the hill with 5 people on the car. Performance was at its best throughout ! And I usually do not take my car for city drives as XUV is more purely long drives as well when there are more than 4 people to travel.

To note is I do not floor the accelerator regularly.

Quote:
The compression is gone most likely because the piston rings wear quickly without sufficient lubrication. You are experiencing blow by where part of the exhaust gasses leak past the pistons (as the piston rings are now worn). So you have hot exhaust gasses blown into the sump. Heating the oil, and contaminating the oil even further, which adds to the wear and tear.
This seems to be the service guys prognosis.

Quote:
I'm not sure why they believe they have to overhaul the Turbo though.

Good luck, this sounds like a big repair job, no matter what.

Jeroen
Looks like that Jeroen. However the previous Service Head I worked with feels that it is more on the cost side - as the work is inevitable. He feels that routing it through Mahindra Service Channels who might understand my challenge - which is of course a misfortune - should help me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Jim,

Sad to hear it man. Please feel free to call me regarding this.
Thanks Dhanush. Shall give you a call.

----------------------------------------------------

I have asked Pothens Mahindra to put the work on hold. I have gathered some pictures as well as the report on compression they had shared across to the Regional Service Head.

Sharing the email which Pothens Mahindra has dropped with Mahindra Regional Service Head
<The subjected vehicle is came to our workshop for 1lak km service. During
inspection we found engine oil quantity is only 1.5L. Then we found engine
oil leak from turbocharger, oil separator, front cover and cam cover dummy
side, During further inspection we found compression is low in cylinder
1st.(380psi). Other complaints observed as Front and back brake pads worn
out, Front and back rotor wear is above the service limit and one vacuum
modulator found complaint.

To resole the engine oil leak and low compression we need to overhaul the
engine and need to replace the turbocharger.

Compression Value (dry test)

1st Cylinder 380psi (low)
2nd Cylinder 420psi
3rd Cylinder 400psi
4th Cylinder 400psi

Standard value 400psi to 440psi>

They have also share my service history to him. And I am awaiting a revert from both of them. They were about to remove the head, but have asked them to put the work on hold until we hear what is Mahindras plan on the same.

I have marked the areas mostly of pics take from under the car at the service center today and some from the top. Have tried to mark the areas of visible leakage for your reference.

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-pic-1.jpg

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-pic-2.jpg

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-pic-3.jpg

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-pic-4.jpg

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-pic-5.jpg

Just for reference, herewith the image of my parking space where I have been parking the car for the last few months. Which the service guys justified - saying the oil was either consumed or burnt.

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-pic-6.jpg
peterjim13 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 12:58   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This was confirmed by the service guys. He said the sensors wont go off untill there isnt sufficient pressure.He said the warning might come on only at about may be less than 100 KM to drive.

To resole the engine oil leak and low compression we need to overhaul the
engine and need to replace the turbocharger.

Compression Value (dry test)

1st Cylinder 380psi (low)
2nd Cylinder 420psi
3rd Cylinder 400psi
4th Cylinder 400psi

Standard value 400psi to 440psi>

They have also share my service history to him. And I am awaiting a revert from both of them. They were about to remove the head, but have asked them to put the work on hold until we hear what is Mahindras plan on the same.

I have marked the areas mostly of pics take from under the car at the service center today and some from the top. Have tried to mark the areas of visible leakage for your reference.
]
Whereas there is some evidence of some oil leakage, this doesnt look like 5L of oil leaked out. Also, whereas the compression is a little on the low side, especially on cylinder 1, it's not that bad either.

I would ask them why they want to replace the turbo. As dhanushs indicated, it could well be the main problem, but better make sure. The compression wont get fixed by replacing the turbo obviously.

It's difficult to be sure, but my own experience is that if the compression is really poorly it is usually related to the piston rings. If it is just below where it needs to be, it might just be related to valves. That''s a loot easier to fix, then a complete overhaul. So you might want to check if they can do some more testing to figure out what is causing the drop in compression. (e.g. blow by test or similar)

Good luck.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2018, 17:32   #11
BHPian

With this, I had actually taken this up with the Regional Service Head - and I surely feel that this is between me and Mahindra.

I dropped in an email yesterday - just after my call.
<I was able to learn that you have already started enquiring with Pothens Mahindra on my car Mahindra XUV5OO - W8 - Moondust Silver (2012). Chasis No: XXXXXX
On this case, I have asked the service personnel at Pothens not to commence any work on the engine as I would need some word from your end to rectify the same. It is indeed, disappointing that despite of my regular service history through Mahindra Authorized Service Stations and also through my regular checks along with running repairs, my engine has failed at 1,00,000 KM.
With the low oil levels - almost close to less than 1.5 litres, I am indeed shocked by the fact that there has not been any warning on my console. I am sure that another few kilometers on the car would have put me in the middle of the road with a dead car.
I typically do regular checks for anything unusual on my car, but neither my parking space nor the area visible on the engine bay area showed any leakage - given that there was about 4.5 litres lost. (I have attached a picture of my parking space for your reference - you could see that there were no leakages).
You would have also received the details from Pothens on the below par compression ratio on one of the cylinders, which I feel could be the rings - again probably something with any manufacturing defect.
On the other hand, I also suspect a faulty turbo.
But I would leave it to you and your teams expertise to make the diagnosis, as I am shocked that my car had a major engine work just a few months away from end of Warranty, and the cost which the service team has mentioned on the estimate is literally unaffordable for me - given that I still have a few more months of EMI left on the car.
I am sure that Mahindra, who has shown great care for their customers - which in turn puts me back to you to look at this as a serious issue - and also would require to assist me.
Looking forward to hearing from you.>
-----------------------------------

Using what came up as opinions on this thread as well using the consultation of a friend of mine who used to work with Mahindra, I firmed up to bring it up to Mahindra to help me here, and reduce the financial burden on the me. Given the fact that my EMIs on the car are there till May this year.

Today morning I received a call from Pothens stating that based on the advise from the Mahindra Service they again are giving me the same 2 options
1. To go for the engine rebuild - but with a turbocharger replacement which shoots the cost to 2,00,000 - OF WHICH - Mahindra would bear 25% - Customer Goodwill.
2. Of course is to exchange the vehicle.

I said I shall respond after talking to the Service head, and just not to disappoint the dealer, I asked him to evaluate the vehicle for an exchange as I am never gonna sell this car now.

Meanwhile, I dropped in another email to Mahindra / Service Head to state my intentions on this case.

<I am writing this email as I could not reach you on your phone. I received a call from Pothens Mahindra with their alternatives to the issue.

They have given me two alternatives,
a) get the engine rebuild at anything between Rs. 1,64,000 to Rs. 2,00,000, where Mahindra would bear 25% the cost.

b) get the car exchanged ( I can surely understand their keenness on the same)

I do not want to engage the dealer further as I think I should be dealing with the company directly on this issue. Kindly consider my requests below.

1. My Vehicle has been under Mahindra Care from 2012 August and I have not missed any services, running repairs etc and still have preferred to take it to a Mahindra Service in Cochin at about 300 KM from my hometown - even after my warranty period which just ended 5 months ago.

2. On such a car, I would not do any work unless Mahindra tells me

a) What exactly is the diagnosis of the vehicle - which was running smoothly till I brought it to the service center.

b) What exactly is the reason for the same, despite regular service, and maintenance history with MASS, just within 5 month of warranty period expiry.

c) Why didn't the MASS recognize this issue at KTC Mahindra about an year back during my service in October 2016 (where engine oil was topped),
d) Why couldnt TVS Mahindra recognize this issue during Sept 2017 when they had replaced my Clutch Cover, AC Filter etc

3. When I bought this Mahindra I never intended to sell it within 5 years of use or 1,00,000 KM which is barely nothing for any car. My previous Tata Indica ran 1,40,000 KM without any engine work for 7 years. My car loan is about to expire on May and not keen on taking any other loan - or buying a new car - we had this financial burden for 5 years - and the only reason we never regretted was because the car was right fit for our large family and Mahindra has been so much supportive in maintaining it in shape.

4. Please note that I do not intend to spend 2 Lakhs on a 5 year old car, because Mahindra is not keen on taking care of its customers because they are out of warranty.

5. I shall go ahead with an engine rebuild only if Mahindra assures me a warranty of minimum 1,00,000 KM on the new engine or at least for the next 5 years. We bought the XUV5OO not to sell it off in 5 years, but to use it to the longest we can, and I was wishing for a 2,00,000 or more with my care and maintenance.

6. The dealers urgency on promoting the exchange can be seen clearly, however I am not at all confident in keeping my car at their service bay and also suspect their expertise in handling engine rebuild of the Mhawk engines. It would be the best to ask them to put the car back in shape like I had delivered, and I had specifically mentioned not to go ahead with any work on the car unless we hear from Mahindra.

7. I shall take my car back home - and keep it there untill Mahindra answers the above questions.

Looking forward to your help.>

NOTE: As the response from Mahindra and the service center are always on call - I do not have anything in writing from them.

Based on this, the Mahindra Customer Care marked 2 others from Mahindra on this email, including the Area Manager (guess Customer Care).

I got a call from the Area Manager stating that they are on this issue and shall respond duly after evaluating my email and options with the dealer. He also assured me that the car would be taken good care at Pothens and not to worry about it.

Now, after about 30 mins the guy from Pothens again calls me to update on the refreshed offer.

1. Now they offer me a half engine replace - as I did not show confidence on rebuild.
2. This would include the engine block, piston etc including the turbocharger - which makes this to about Rs. 1,84,000/- now.
3. Again on this Mahindra would bear 25% which is about Rs. 46,000
4. They have evaluated my car and have priced it at 5 Lakhs before the engine repair. Thank you.

Within a few minutes the service head called me to inform me on the same.

He also said that he could ask Pothens to also bear some cost on this and would be around 1.2 lakhs in total just for the engine replace etc. But he did not have answers to why what and how precisely and as what his job is - he protected all the dealers and said that if there was anything they would have anyway notified me.

I have asked for some time from him as I told him that I have a few people and my dad to consult as 1.2 Lakhs is quite a big sum for me, and we still could not digest the fact that the car had to get an engine work in 1,00,000 KM despite regular service history with Mahindra.

He has also arranged for a meeting with the Technical Guys to explain me on the issue in clarity while I am at the showroom today evening.
------------------------------------------------

Now its on me to take a call - and I do not feel that Mahindra would offer me anything more.

In the meanwhile : while scouting for the reasons for the engine oil level drop - my last refill was on Oct 2016 which is at 78,325 while my ODO now reads 98K. Roughly about 20K kilometers.

I have now calculated this to be at about 300 ml per 1000 KM. Does this help ?
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 12:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I would ask them why they want to replace the turbo. As dhanushs indicated, it could well be the main problem, but better make sure. The compression wont get fixed by replacing the turbo obviously.
What they told me yesterday is that, the turbo since it is VGT it cannot be overhauled

Quote:
It's difficult to be sure, but my own experience is that if the compression is really poorly it is usually related to the piston rings. If it is just below where it needs to be, it might just be related to valves.
Now both Mahindra and the dealer looks at a part engine replacement. The Mechanic to whom I spoke yesterday told me that - the cause could be the rings as well as valves, but he said he too can confirm only after opening the engine.

On his opinion also, rebuilding is not easy but not complex. He feels that there are lot of parts that could be easily reused - but he commented that on such a scenario neither the Dealer nor Mahindra would give assurances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGA View Post
Hi Jim, you certainly have some problem at your hand, in the current situation, it is going to be extremely difficult for you to assess as to what exactly is wrong with your vehicle and the whole setup I mean A.S.S and et al are going to stick to same story.

Uncommon problems require uncommon solutions, sometimes little unethical, talk to the chief mechanic out there, not the manager but the guy with grease and oil on him. Tell him you want him to repair your car and that too at your place and not at A.S.S, cut out a deal with him and take your car out of that A.S.S and get it repaired off record. The mechanic will bring all necessary tool at your place on a weekend or a holiday. Heavy work if required can be done at the local garage. Not only will the work be more precise and you will get first hand knowledge of the problem. And hopefully much much cheaper too.
Thanks PGA, even Dhanush recommended this. That of course would be last alternative. I do understand that beyond warranty if the company is not helping on a case which could essentially fall under a manufacturing defect, Id rather get the work done myself.

Currently I am negotiating with Mahindra on the cost of half engine replacing, and I am trying my best to senior service guys in Mahindra to see what they can do.

I have even emailed Anand Mahindra - assuming that to be his email id to show that despite my regular history of taking care of my car with Mahindra, even after my Warranty my engine has to be replaced within 1Lakhs.

Have also done a tweet as well.

I have also dropped in a request to Tbhp moderators requesting for a separate thread so that I could use this to grab Mahindras attention.
Old 16th February 2018, 16:22   #13
BHPian

Trying my best to get the attention of the senior team of Mahindra, I reached out to Mr. Rahul who sits on top of the Service Manager. I dropped in an email stating that the current support in terms of Bill Wavier, may not be sufficient.

He gave me call within an hour and acknowledged the email as well as stated his understanding of the concern. He said he shall provide additional support on the cost side over and above what the Service Manager and the Dealer has promised to provide.

So he wants to get the work done the soonest, as he says that a minimum of 8 to a max of 2 weeks may be required to source the parts from the plant. The new engine (half engine) would have a warranty of 6 months / 10,000 KM - Is this sufficient ?

I am also attaching the detailed estimate of the same as well.

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-estimate-1.jpg

My Mahindra XUV500: Engine overhaul required-estimate-2.jpg

As you would have seen, I am going for a half engine replacement along with turbocharger.

I shall update on the progress, anyhow the car may stay idle for about a week or more until parts have arrived for replacement.
peterjim13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 16:30   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What they told me yesterday is that, the turbo since it is VGT it cannot be overhauled
Sorry, what I meant, is why do they believe the turbo is the culprit of all the problems? You need to have a clear answer/diagnosis first before committing to any repairs!

And I don’t believe you need to take the engine apart to get a better understanding of the state of the piston rings. After all, the compression isn’t all that bad, really.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 17:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, what I meant, is why do they believe the turbo is the culprit of all the problems? You need to have a clear answer/diagnosis first before committing to any repairs!

And I don’t believe you need to take the engine apart to get a better understanding of the state of the piston rings. After all, the compression isn’t all that bad, really.

Jeroen
Noted Jeroen, Let me get this in writing from them.

Most Viewed