Team-BHP - Digital Speedo
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Digital Speedo (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/19598-digital-speedo.html)

was just curious whether digital speedos have any advantage over analog speedos? cause from my experience with them i feel they are more of a distraction than serving any purpose.

They are more accurate as far as i heard. Distraction in which way ?

I dont see any advantage unless they're guided by a GPS device.

Regular digital speedos basically work on the same principle as analog speedos. Only diff would be in the way it is displayed.

Shan2nu

I have read that the digital speedos have an accuracy of +-1km. While I have noticed that there is considerable difference in the analog readings.

Once my friend and I were riding close to each other, I saw that the speedo of his bike showed 60km/hr and mine showed a shade above 65km/hr. Not sure which one was right. Perhaps both were wrong.:)

I've an interesting thing to narrate on the accuracy of the analog speedos. The garmin GPS in my Safari also gives me the speed of my vehicle albeit tracked via satellite. The analog speedo of my Safari shows a difference of atleast 5-7 points higher than what the GPS shows; i.e if the speedo is showing 75 then the GPS indicates 70 or 71.

I dunno which one is accurate..:-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhibh (Post 337791)
Distraction in which way ?

cause of the numbers changing in an unfashioned manner. in the analog speedo there's a rhythm, plus the rotating needle doesn't pinch the eyes whereas eyes make extra effort to read the digital speedo everytime the digits change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 337828)
I've an interesting thing to narrate on the accuracy of the analog speedos. The garmin GPS in my Safari also gives me the speed of my vehicle albeit tracked via satellite. The analog speedo of my Safari shows a difference of atleast 5-7 points higher than what the GPS shows; i.e if the speedo is showing 75 then the GPS indicates 70 or 71.

It would have to be the GPS :p....

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveendhyani (Post 337964)
cause of the numbers changing in an unfashioned manner. in the analog speedo there's a rhythm, plus the rotating needle doesn't pinch the eyes whereas eyes make extra effort to read the digital speedo everytime the digits change.

On the contrary. On the analog speedo, the digits are marked in 20km or more increments. Thus when one looks at needle, one has to take extra time to see where it is and to calculate approx. speed, say 52, 48, 50. Now with digital speedo, readout is there, one has to just glance at it. Obviously if you are looking at it all the time (instead of the road) you will find digital speedo distracting because of "numbers changing in an unfashioned manner" and if likewise you keep looking at analogue speedo needle going around, you will find it dizzy!

The digital speedo is certainly attractive, but i am not sure if it is accurate. i heard that the new pulsar which comes with the digital speedo does not have a speedo cable which makes it a trouble free speedo

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 337828)
The analog speedo of my Safari shows a difference of atleast 5-7 points higher than what the GPS shows; i.e if the speedo is showing 75 then the GPS indicates 70 or 71.

I think the GPS would be....just curious, let me know what the GPS says if/when your speedo shows 130-140?

I tend to agree with Naveen on the distraction part. The other day, I had stopped in a jam and a civic came to a stop on my left. I saw the large display showing zero. As we started moving, its display suddenly changed from 0 to 8 then to 3 and then to 13 and then back to 0- you can understand it was slow moving traffic. But I am so used to the needle going up and then slowly turning back to zero, that this was baffling.
In your own car, it might initially force you to try and make your driving style more smooth.

accuracy...i mean the one without cables as in the new pulsar twins
http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1sigma.htm
Net-Biker.co.uk Sigma Electronic Speedo

sigma is a well known brand

Quote:

Originally Posted by prabuddhadg (Post 338186)
I tend to agree with Naveen on the distraction part. The other day, I had stopped in a jam and a civic came to a stop on my left. I saw the large display showing zero. As we started moving, its display suddenly changed from 0 to 8 then to 3 and then to 13 and then back to 0- you can understand it was slow moving traffic.

That damn civic is going to cause too many accidents (like blondes in mini skirts..!) Everybody is too busy trying to peer at its digital speedo than looking where they are going.

The same advantages/disadvantages as with any other digital instrumentation over analog ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandeep108 (Post 338274)
That damn civic is going to cause too many accidents (like blondes in mini skirts..!) Everybody is too busy trying to peer at its digital speedo than looking where they are going.

The Civic speedo placement is the best of the lot...

Doesnt have to take the eye off that far from the road... To see the speed... Not like the cars in which you have to look under the steering wheel...

And if that is causing accidents... :confused: