Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:54   #1
Team-BHP Support

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem

These are the words of Amit Hande, who has written to us regarding a rattling parcel shelf in his 2016 Maruti Suzuki Baleno and how he managed to fix it. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
I have a Maruti Suzuki Baleno Delta petrol, which was acquired on March 2016. I was facing a problem of a rattling parcel shelf from day one. I was following up with the service centre as well as the Nexa people regarding this matter, but I had no luck in resolving the same. At the time of the 10,000 km service, the service guys tried resolving the issue by adjusting the tailgate of the car. It solved the problem partially, but after some driving on bad road surfaces, the issue reappeared. I checked some other cars in the showroom and some belonging to my friends as well and found that these cars suffered from the same problem.

After this I decided to spend some time in understanding the problem.The deductions of my analysis are noted below.
  1. The material used in the shelf is really light and flimsy. This results in the shelf banging every time the car goes over uneven surfaces.
  2. The support provided to the shelf is not adequate both, vertically and horizontally.
  3. On the mating surface and the resting surface, the cushioning provided is inadequate.

The same issue was present in my 2011 Alto K10. I tried to put some cushioning between the shelf and the mating surface, but it didn't solve the problem completely. I needed to give the shelf horizontal as well as vertical support.

An idea came to my mind when I was washing my car and saw these rubber car door edge guards:
Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-shelf1.jpg

Quote:
I clamped two rubber guards on both sides of the parcel shelf like this:
Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-shelf2.jpg
Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-shelf3.jpg

Quote:
It reduced the gap between the parcel shelf side edge and C-pillars and fixed the parcel shelf in the gap tightly. Gap between the shelf and C-pillar before installing the rubber guard:
Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-shelf.jpg

Quote:
Gap after installing the rubber guard:
Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-shelf4.jpg

Quote:
Now that the parcel shelf has been fixed properly, it does not rattle irrespective of the surface I am driving on. After this fix, my car has been silent and the only sound I can hear is the sweet note of the 1.2-litre, K-series petrol engine.

The cost of the rubber guard is Rs.5 per piece, but these are not available with all service centres. I found them at Sai Service, Hinjewadi, Pune only. I have installed these in my Alto K10 as well and the rattles from the parcel shelf have stopped.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd February 2018 at 14:16.
Aditya is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 14:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Technical Stuff.
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
These are the words of Amit Hande, who has written to us regarding a rattling parcel shelf in his 2016 Maruti Suzuki Baleno and how he managed to fix it.
Quite an interesting use of the door protectors. They are put on the car during the transportation from the factory.

I think the use of double sided tape will also do the same, except only one side of it need to be exposed and stuck on the parcel tray. The other adhesive end can be kept unused.

EDIT -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
These rubber guards seem a nice solution. Where are they available?
On your next visit to the dealership, just ask the car delivery cleaning chaps to give you some. They will hand over to you if they have it lying around. Usually they are thrown when the car is made ready for delivery.

Last edited by blackwasp : 22nd February 2018 at 15:50.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 15:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is what I have done to tackle the issue of parcel tray rattling but it is not enough. These rubber guards seem a nice solution.
Where are they available?

PS: My car is MS Vitara Brezza.

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-20180222_153525.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
These rubber guards seem a nice solution.
Where are they available?

Maruti Ritz comes with these kind of rubber guards. Maybe that will help too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...eview-boot.jpg
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 16:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Maruti Ritz comes with these kind of rubber guards. Maybe that will help too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...eview-boot.jpg
Even Alto 800 has similar two rubber guards on parcel tray. You can ask for these at service station.
findviru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2018, 18:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
These are the words of Amit Hande, who has written to us regarding a rattling parcel shelf in his 2016 Maruti Suzuki Baleno and how he managed to fix it. Thanks for sharing!
@Aditya: It would help if you could post the MGP part number for this part. I am assuming that you might have the bill for the same as standard practice for raising an invoice.
indianv2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:39   #8
BHPian

Re: Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem

Why Maruti, on a Baleno - it's not an entry level car, it's a premium offering.

IMO, Maruti is playing penny-wise, pound-foolish for a while now - with all the goodwill it has built up over the years, people would lap-up the products by the brand-name - but once the reputation is sold bit-by-bit, it'll take a long time to build again.
anurag.somani is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 21:46   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianv2 View Post
@Aditya: It would help if you could post the MGP part number for this part. I am assuming that you might have the bill for the same as standard practice for raising an invoice.
Part No: 87418M84020
Part Name: DOOR GUARD
Price: Rs.3

One advice to everyone reading this: Use it for everything other than protecting your doors. I ended up loosing paint.

Quoting myself from another post:

Quote:
Beware!!

These protectors actually cause your paint to wear. Let me explain. With your front door shut, try to open the rear door. If the hinge side edge of the rear door rubs against the so called protector then throw it away immediately. It has damaged the paint in three of the Marutis we have owned so far. I am sure it will rub in Baleno too, as the panel gap is too tight in Baleno.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4342004 (Maruti Baleno RS : Official Review)

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 00:57   #10
BHPian

And I thought Baleno was one of their premium offerings from their "premium" Nexa channel. Well, I have been wrong in the past too..!

Such a shame, MSL.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 24th February 2018 at 01:01.
Old 24th February 2018, 14:14   #11
BHPian

Hello all, I think some of you are getting confused here. The rubber protector in the centre of the parcel tray pictured below in my Vitara Brezza will in no way help in damping the tray rattle sounds.

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-parcel-tray-rubber-1.jpg

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-parcel-tray-rubber-2.jpg

It's job is to act as a buffer between the hatch door and the tray as you can see in the pic here

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-parcel-tray-rubber-centre.jpg

This rubber protector comes factor fitted in many Marutis but the tray will still rattle as was the case with my Brezza as well.

Now coming to the problem, I got sponge strips pasted on the two corners of the base on which the tray rests from my local Maruti Authorised Service Station for free. See pic here:

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-sponge-protectors.jpg

All you need to do is to visit them and ask them to get it fixed. They have rectangular pieces of good quality sponge with 3M double tape on the other side for this very purpose and they will do it for free

The sponge looks like this:

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-black-sponge.jpg

Surprisingly, Maruti has provided two rubber clips on each side of the tray to prevent the rattling noise but clearly, they fail to their job.

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-oem-rubber-clip-side.jpg

Bonus Information:

For door protectors, I have covered the edges of all four doors from top to bottom with 3M clear door side protection tape and on top of that I have put on plastic door protectors. So, I get double protection. See the pics below.

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-3m-tape.jpg

Maruti Baleno: Solution to the parcel shelf rattling problem-door-protectors-rear.jpg

The tape was bought from Amazon while the door protectors, (two for each door, total eight) were ordered from AliExpress.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks